How far apart should we have NBMEs before exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplelife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should we have 1 week gap in between taking NBMEs form 7, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, UWA 1, UWA2, so we get a chance to review the wrong and also review everything again each time? If I follow this plan then I will be able to take it at the end of June. What do you guys say?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, we're advised to pretty much take one full length practice exam per week (either a UW Self-Assessment + 3 blocks UWORLD or 2 NBME practice exams, something along those lines) on the same day of the week as the real test. And allow two days for full analysis. I started off being wicked slow and inefficient but now I'm down to about 1.5 days for analysis. We're also advised not to do any full length tests right before the exam (so the last one will be 7 days before, at the latest). Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
You do NOT need to simulate the full length exam more than once. That's just crazy. Take NBMEs and UWSAs on a weekly basis leading up to your exam, maybe 2 the week of, and one full length simulation within the week before.

You do NOT need to simulate the full length exam more than once. That's just crazy. Take NBMEs and UWSAs on a weekly basis leading up to your exam, maybe 2 the week of, and one full length simulation within the week before.

Haha maybe they are just pushing us really hard at my school... I was OK with 7 blocks of 46 questions but when I did 400 questions (2 NBMEs), I was def feeling a little fatigued by the end... I feel better to know that other reasonable medical students might think doing 5 full length practice tests is a little insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah - I agree that there is very little reason to do NBMEs back-t0-back. You don't train for a marathon by running marathons (or so people tell me.)

But I definitely do think there is merit to building stamina, especially soon before the test date.

Tbh, you'll have the stamina when the real test day comes. I tried doing a practice run last week for my real exam today by doing a practice exam than 3 blocks of uworld. I was tired and with a headache by the time I had finished the fourth block. When I took my real exam today, I was awake and full of energy throughout the whole 8 hours.

Reactions: 3 users
Tbh, you'll have the stamina when the real test day comes. I tried doing a practice run last week for my real exam today by doing a practice exam than 3 blocks of uworld. I was tired and with a headache by the time I had finished the fourth block. When I took my real exam today, I was awake and full of energy throughout the whole 8 hours.

yep heard this from many people as well. adrenaline is powerful and takes you through the last 3 blocks

yeah - I agree that there is very little reason to do NBMEs back-t0-back. You don't train for a marathon by running marathons (or so people tell me.)
I like the marathon analogy! You definitely run 20-22 miles though and it suuuuuucks! Haha!

Thank you. I'm planning to do at least 2-3 simulations before the exam day just to be prepared well and not freak out so much on the real day.

I have a question, but rather than starting a new thread it makes sense to just ask here.

Can you take the NMBE forms at a prometric center or not? I have been googling around and it seems like this is not an option, but you are able to take the free 150 at a prometric center only?

I have a question, but rather than starting a new thread it makes sense to just ask here.

Can you take the NMBE forms at a prometric center or not? I have been googling around and it seems like this is not an option, but you are able to take the free 150 at a prometric center only?
yes

I'm sorry BlueArc, I worded my question poorly, and thus am not too clear about what you are referring to when you said yes. Do you mean Yes you can take all the practice NBMEs at a prometric center?

never heard of taking NBME's at the prometric center. just the Free 150. hope that helps!

What's the "Free 150"? I only see 138 questions... you are all referring to the newly updated "Sample Test Questions" packet on the NBME website?

What's the "Free 150"? I only see 138 questions... you are all referring to the newly updated "Sample Test Questions" packet on the NBME website?

People ask this every year. Free 150 sounds cooler than free 138.

Don't over analyze it.

The one you download has some extra multimedia questions, which obviously couldn't go in a PDF.
I believe only 5 or so, which would technically be the "free 143" ~Free 150.

http://www.usmle.org/practice-materials/ Step 1 --> Tutorial and Practice Items for MCQs Download (2014 just updated this april)

Last edited: