How far from my target score is reasonable 1 month prior?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontforgetxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know - very difficult to answer. But what does it mean to be within a reasonable range from your target score approximately one month before test day? Assuming a standard student with standard study methods. If my goal is to get over a 510 (for example), what range on FL's should I be looking for about a month before? Below what score would be a cause for concern?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the FLs you are taking. You also can learn a lot in a month and boost your score alot, especially since most people haven't done the AAMC material at that point. For EK about 60-70%, NS a 505, TPR 500+ and Kaplan 500+. Mind you those are a month prior for a 510 but I would obviously aim higher. IDK if this helps but about a month prior my TPR was a 501, Kaplan a 501 and I got a 509 on the real test despite bad anxiety. You really should say exactly what score though, over a 510 is a big range.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I have been using Kaplan so far and on my last FL I got a 500. I'm aiming for a 9/01 exam and so that seems really low to me, but I haven't finished all the content review yet or taken any other FL from any other company. I just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Also, my goal is to get a 515. Which is another reason why it seems really difficult to increase 15 points within ~45 days.

You should base your predictions off the AAMC official test. I took the AAMC official like two weeks before my actual MCAT, the AAMC was 518 and my actual MCAT was 522. So it was fairly close. Compare that to the Princetons, I was getting 511s on those, so over ten points harder than the real MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I have been using Kaplan so far and on my last FL I got a 500. I'm aiming for a 9/01 exam and so that seems really low to me, but I haven't finished all the content review yet or taken any other FL from any other company. I just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Also, my goal is to get a 515. Which is another reason why it seems really difficult to increase 15 points within ~45 days.
Yeah I wouldn't place any stock into your scores on the non-AAMC tests, they are seriously deflated. And I got a 507 on the Scored and a 508 on the sample so they were very good predictors of my score, but I wouldn't do them yet. Also I think it is definitely possible to improve 15 points in 45 days. Hopefully I'll prove it correct =D.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends what you're scoring low in.
To give you an idea of what it looked like for me:

After 5 weeks content review: 504 Kaplan
After 4 weeks practice problems: 513 AAMC practice (1 week before test date)
After 1 week studying just psych/social: 516 official/test day

I never had a problem with CARS which is reportedly harder to improve on quickly. I worked on psych/social hard for 1 week to improve it by 4 points (126->130). From my n=1 experience, some of the sections can be improved really quickly if you study it in a way that works for you.

Practice taking the test, using that practice to learn what you don't know then study that. Don't practice studying for the test. Just reading for 10 weeks isn't going to help nearly as much.

Since I haven't taken any AAMC tests yet (taking the in scored this week) its hard to believe that the practice tests are that much harder. I've been taking practice tests once a week and lately they've been 505 and up but it seems like that's the best I can do. I hope I'm proven wrong when I take the AAMC material. I'd flip out if all of a sudden I see a 510+ on my score sheet.