How favorably are Research Fellowships viewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmacdow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Thank you in advance, this is my first SDN post so I apologize if I make any re-post/etc. mistakes.

I was wondering how favorably MD/PhD programs view research fellowships? I'm an undergraduate fellow for an NIH Computational Neuroscience Training Fellowship at Emory University/GA Tech (program is pretty selective - 3 undergrads + 3 grads from either Emory or GA tech admitted annually). The program provides two years of stipend support and research funding as well as other training opportunities like weekly journal clubs and method clinics. Should I consider this a strong addition to my application (e.g. akin to a publication) or is it more of a mediocre addition (e.g. like a conference presentation or a summer undergraduate research program)?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm nervous about my MCAT score (32) so I'm trying to gain a better idea of what my chances are.

Additional applicant info:
Home State: Alaska
Race: White
MCAT 32
GPA/Science GPA: ~3.86/3.84
Research: 3+ years of research in two labs (school year + summer)
No publications yet but a few conference presentations and two undergraduate research grants (one national and one internal).
Medical Experience: 500+ hours of volunteering/training as an Advanced EMT

TOP Schools:
U Michigan
UCSF
Albert Einstein
U Chicago
U Penn
Duke

I have a list of 35 md/phd programs that I'm planning to apply to (a huge range of difficulties) once my AMCAS gets approved next week, so I'm trying to get a better understanding of what my expectations should be.

Thank you very much!

- cmacdow

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. Thank you in advance, this is my first SDN post so I apologize if I make any re-post/etc. mistakes.

I was wondering how favorably MD/PhD programs view research fellowships? I'm an undergraduate fellow for an NIH Computational Neuroscience Training Fellowship at Emory University/GA Tech (program is pretty selective - 3 undergrads + 3 grads from either Emory or GA tech admitted annually). The program provides two years of stipend support and research funding as well as other training opportunities like weekly journal clubs and method clinics. Should I consider this a strong addition to my application (e.g. akin to a publication) or is it more of a mediocre addition (e.g. like a conference presentation or a summer undergraduate research program)?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm nervous about my MCAT score (32) so I'm trying to gain a better idea of what my chances are.

in general, and speaking as somebody who had a bunch of these, I would say, meh. Way less important than the quality of your research, ability to talk about it on the interview trail, etc. Basically akin to conference presentation in terms of resume padding. Everybody needs some resume padding though, and that's not to say it isn't valuable, sounds like a fantastic experience.

re: application, your MCAT is weak, but not overwhelmingly low. Agree with the plan to apply broadly, and be prepared for bad news from at least a few of your "reach" schools.

On the flip side, I would say they are viewed very favorably. It shows you can get grants and know how to do so. I would put it on par with a publication.

It's not so much about getting into the fellowship (which is by itself an achievement but less than a publication), but what you do there, especially if it's a two year program. Maybe you could try to publish a paper while at the fellowship? That's the goal of most fellowships anyway, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk