How forgiving are medical schools if you don't have one of the prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do schools ever hold it against students if they are taking prereqs during the application process? For example, if I haven't taken orgo II yet (I couldn't take it this year because it conflicted with something I needed to graduate on time, and it's only offered once per year) but I already took the MCAT and I will take orgo II while applying next fall, will that ruin my chances anywhere?
I've never heard of a school holding that against someone. As long as you have enough science classes for them to judge your aptitude, it shouldn't make a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So many people apply to med schools, unfortunately they won't consider your application without all pre reqs as a lot of other applications will have them

So many people apply to med schools, unfortunately they won't consider your application without all pre reqs as a lot of other applications will have them

this is not true. actually it is quite common for people to get accepted even if they are missing a pre-req. you are required to complete pre-reqs before you matriculate (ie start med school), NOT by the time you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That simply isn't true, as long as you have enough science classes prior to applying that show you can handle the academics you will be fine. Especially for people like myself who will be taking the last pre-req during the application cycle and already hold a bachelors degree. All you need to do is put it under future coursework in the initial application.

I don't know how true that is. There were courses that were not complete at the time of the submission of my AMCAS. The application allows you to project the classes that you will take in the future. I do believe the pre-requisites for a school that you are accepted at must be met prior to matriculation though.

Let me attempt to correct him (didn't check for grammar :p):

So many people apply to med schools, they probably will rescind your acceptance if you don't have all the pre reqs by the time you matriculate as a lot of other applications will have them

Unless you're accepted at a school that does not require the prerequisites.

I'm currently enrolled in a biochemistry course for my school, and I finished my degree in 2013. I'm sure it depends on a school by school basis though.

I took every course that every medical school required, recommended, or even hinted at being a good idea so I wouldn't be limited. I had a non-science / no math background and no science GPA . I wanted to cover all of the bases and needed to see if I could do it. I think I like the idea of competency based admission requirements but without taking the prerequisites, or equivalents at least, dont you think many students will suffer and more will fail?

Wait does your school, OP, charge tuition per credit hour? My school charges a fixed amount for any amount of classes at or above full time studen (12 credits). Can you not stack physics anywhere in your remaining semesters? If you do well on the physics bit of the MCAT then that's what you need to get in. You will have to take PhY before matriculation tho.

I don't know how true that is. There were courses that were not complete at the time of the submission of my AMCAS. The application allows you to project the classes that you will take in the future. I do believe the pre-requisites for a school that you are accepted at must be met prior to matriculation though.

I would be perfectly willing to take the courses if I had an acceptance predicated on that. Though my top school, afaik, doesn't have strict pre-requisites. It just says we're expected to have the knowledge of the material in those areas, but doesn't specifically require the courses themselves.
Wait does your school, OP, charge tuition per credit hour? My school charges a fixed amount for any amount of classes at or above full time studen (12 credits). Can you not stack physics anywhere in your remaining semesters? If you do well on the physics bit of the MCAT then that's what you need to get in. You will have to take PhY before matriculation tho.

I already graduated. And yes, under full time they do charge per credit hour. For in-state students at the main campus, it's $459/credit hour for part time. At one of the branch campuses it's $222/credit hour, at the other, it's $251/ch. But there's a community college near me that charges $594.56 for a 4 credit hour course (which physics is).

Last edited:
It isn't just about having the knowledge, it's about doing the work and showing that you can handle the course. A physics course is a lot more than just knowledge- there's tedious labs and lab reports in addition to your exams that demonstrate your work ethic or lack thereof. Take out loans if you have to, but take the course if you want to stand a decent chance of acceptance.

Based off of the OP's posting history it appears as though he has a current MCAT score of 21; I believe you may need more practice in the sciences my friend.

Reactions: 3 users
Based off of the OP's posting history it appears as though he has a current MCAT score of 21; I believe you may need more practice in the sciences my friend.
I did rather well on the biology and verbal section (I was a biology minor). The reason my score was so low was because I really half assed preparing for it. I started preparing really late and was finishing my MA at the same time. My dog also died right before I was to take the MCAT, which wasn't helpful, as my depression got worse and I became suicidal.

They will only be forgiving if you show that you can handle the work, such as doing a SMP.

I did rather well on the biology and verbal section (I was a biology minor). The reason my score was so low was because I really half assed preparing for it. I started preparing really late and was finishing my MA at the same time. My dog also died right before I was to take the MCAT, which wasn't helpful, as my depression got worse and I became suicidal.
Are you going to retake it? You can't get into DO nonetheless MD schools with a 21.

Do schools ever hold it against students if they are taking prereqs during the application process? For example, if I haven't taken orgo II yet (I couldn't take it this year because it conflicted with something I needed to graduate on time, and it's only offered once per year) but I already took the MCAT and I will take orgo II while applying next fall, will that ruin my chances anywhere?
If your performance thusfar has been stellar, they won't care. If you have some dings in your sGPA they might want to see some results before offering you an acceptance.

You should probably be wary of medical school until you're more emotionally sound. It is an emotionally devastating process.

With missing prereqs and a poor MCAT, you stand no chance of acceptance anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
You should probably be wary of medical school until you're more emotionally sound. It is an emotionally devastating process.

With missing prereqs and a poor MCAT, you stand no chance of acceptance anywhere.

I am retaking the MCAT.