How greatly will my application be affected by a poor semester abroad after submitting AMCAS/TMDSAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overachiever12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This previous semester I spent a lot of my time traveling, having fun, and studying for the MCAT that I didn't devote as much effort into my study abroad courses as I should have. This is not to also mention the fact that each of my courses had a final exam consisting of at least 70%, with two at 90% of the total course grade. Not that complaining is an excuse, but I also had all of my exams scheduled in the first week whereas the majority of people had a month long to take/study for upcoming finals.

Needless to say, I think my results for this semester will be subpar to my current trend. I only have a 3.4 cGPA, but I've had a very strong upward grade trend (3.6-3.7+ each semester). My AMCAS and TMDSAS have both already been submitted, and the grades for my spring term abroad won't be converted into an American grade until September/October. Ultimately, how bad would it look if I received a 3.3 GPA or slightly lower? I think it would only make a .01-.015 difference in my cumulative GPA, but it still is a downtrend nonetheless.

I guess an even more important question is will this term even be calculated in my overall GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have already submitted I'm pretty sure it's not gonna go into your GPA if grades have not yet been submitted? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding

I think godawg300 has the right of it for AMCAS, but TMDSAS states:
"Be sure to submit an official transcript reflecting new grades between the application deadline and planned entry date –
Summer 2015. All new grades will be verified and new TMDSAS GPA’s will be computed and made available to your
designated schools."

Many schools post study abroad grades as P/F rather than as actual grades. Did you check with the Registrar to see what is the case with your school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Were your study abroad classes taught in a foreign language? That can make a huge difference --

Also, when will your fall grades come out? If you can wait until you have a great fall semester to offset your abroad grades, the 'spoonful of sugar' will offset the poor grades to some degree. If you can get interview invites on your pre-abroad GPA, I think your foreign work may be overlooked.

Were your study abroad classes taught in a foreign language? That can make a huge difference --

Also, when will your fall grades come out? If you can wait until you have a great fall semester to offset your abroad grades, the 'spoonful of sugar' will offset the poor grades to some degree. If you can get interview invites on your pre-abroad GPA, I think your foreign work may be overlooked.

I didn't take the classes in a foreign language, but I did take extremely difficult sciences this semester. The curriculum is also different, so the courses didn't exactly match up. My chemistry course covered topics well past where the equivalent American course would have begun.

It's not necessarily a guarantee that this semesters grades will turn out to be poor, it could be the direct opposite (although I doubt this). If my grades do end up lowering my GPA however, should I postpone mailing the transcript to TMDSAS until I receive my fall semester grades in late December?

I am having difficulty trying to piece together a rational explanation as to why you would take some extremely difficult science classes while abroad, if impressing medical schools is what you were trying to accomplish.. There's a stigma that exists which pits study-abroad classes as being easier than University classes here in the states. Obviously, that's probably not the case everywhere and perhaps your abroad classes truly were more difficult than they would've been here in the U. S. of A. It doesn't really matter though because the stigma will still be there regardless. Anyways, there's nothing you can do about that now and your MCAT will undoubtedly be the difference between matriculation and the other. Best wishes

I am having difficulty trying to piece together a rational explanation as to why you would take some extremely difficult science classes while abroad, if impressing medical schools is what you were trying to accomplish.. There's a stigma that exists which pits study-abroad classes as being easier than University classes here in the states. Obviously, that's probably not the case everywhere and perhaps your abroad classes truly were more difficult than they would've been here in the U. S. of A. It doesn't really matter though because the stigma will still be there regardless. Anyways, there's nothing you can do about that now and your MCAT will undoubtedly be the difference between matriculation and the other. Best wishes

I needed to take these courses to finish my major in the designated four years. I also took the courses at one of the most elite universities in the world, so I'm a little confused as to how medical schools will have that stigma about my study abroad experience?... at my university, people generally complain about a GPA reduction after completing this program. Very few people leave this program with 3.8+ GPA's.

For TMDSAS:
"State law requires that academic work taken at foreign colleges, universities or preparatory schools shall be excluded from the calculation of the grade point average for students seeking admission to graduate or post-baccalaureate professional school."

https://www.tmdsas.com/frwqAskedQ/12-ForeignApps-Coursework.html

The only issue is that my university will translate the foreign academic coursework to an American grade. Luckily, this won't be complete until September/October.

Last edited: