How hard are the MCAT questions really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finalwert

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've done a couple MCAT practice exams with Princeton review.
I've scored pretty well getting in the 80s in each section. This surprises me because I haven't done much in depth studying for it so far.
The one thing I've noticed though is that the whole exam seems to be geared towards reading comprehension while the knowledge it tests for seems to be pretty general. The passages themselves seem to give you a lot of helpful background info in case you forgot something. The questions that give me the most trouble are the ones that teach you something new and challenge you to use the new concepts.

I guess my impression from these practice exams that the questions are quiet simpler compared to what I would expect on a normal exam on a particular topic.
Am I getting the right impression here?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely would agree. Like a few other people have said, both the physics and bio sections have turned into kind of mini-verbal sections, and they have less and less simple content requirements, other than the discretes.

So I've done a couple MCAT practice exams with Princeton review.
I've scored pretty well getting in the 80s in each section. This surprises me because I haven't done much in depth studying for it so far.
The one thing I've noticed though is that the whole exam seems to be geared towards reading comprehension while the knowledge it tests for seems to be pretty general. The passages themselves seem to give you a lot of helpful background info in case you forgot something. The questions that give me the most trouble are the ones that teach you something new and challenge you to use the new concepts.

I guess my impression from these practice exams that the questions are quiet simpler compared to what I would expect on a normal exam on a particular topic.
Am I getting the right impression here?
Most of the questions will be in this format, while just a very few will ask something out of the blue.

I absolutely agree. The MCAT tests relatively basic concepts with difficult language. I took the test three times and I didn't score well until spending all my prep time practicing and learning to navigate the material. An MD school dean told me this one time and I think it is very true, "your grades reflect your mastery of subject and the mcat reflects your mastery of thought."