How hard is it for International to become a OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muneebrocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get a MBBS degree from abroad as well as a BDS degree from abroad. Will my degrees count?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omfs is very competitive .. So you need to graduate from an accredited program.. Other than that you ll most likely need a green card to be considered..

both wont count or just my mbbs degree?

Read my posts on the following threads:
Any OMFS residencies open to foreign trained dentists? and
Foreign trained dentist with prosth specialty in US -> chance for OMFS?

What exactly do you mean by count?
a) If you meant that can you use those degrees directly without doing anything additional then NO.
b) If you meant can the degrees be used as a basis for getting something then YES. But it is a long road.

To explain more- with the BDS you can complete the NBDE and then enter into an advanced standing program or maybe a residency. With the MBBS you can complete the USMLE steps and get into a medical residency and take it from there. If you desire to make use of both degrees then the obvious specialty for you is OMFS. In which case you can start by completing the NBDE and either entering a residency program or go through the advanced standing path. The latter is your better choice (see comments in the posts referred to above). Then once you get into an advanced standing program you can then start taking the USMLE steps with the aim of completing those before you enter an OMFS residency and once again you can take it from there.