How hard is it to get a good U.S. residency from a Canadian Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLDU2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if it was possible to get a good residency from Canadian medical schools? (Specifically McGill)...I know that they are comparable to U.S. schools as far as GPA and MCAT averages, but I didn't know if they prepared you well for USMLE. Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Im doing my Masters at McGill. Are you an American citizen?
Im Canadian and want to get into an American school but Im not sure what the chances are.
From what Ive heard Canadian schools are harder to get into, even with a 4.0 GPA you can get rejected, but you should ask an expert, im still new to the preMed process

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other opinions? I'm pretty sure I'll apply to McGill either way...but it's a four page essay, so I just wanted to find out people's thoughts!!!!

McGill is a great medical school. Keep in mind, though, as an American, if you can get in to McGill, you can get in to many top notch US medical schools. So don't if you're sketchy about studying medicine in Canada, you can easily study it in the US if you have what it takes to get in to McGill.

McGill is a great medical school. Keep in mind, though, as an American, if you can get in to McGill, you can get in to many top notch US medical schools. So don't if you're sketchy about studying medicine in Canada, you can easily study it in the US if you have what it takes to get in to McGill.

My chances are good in both countries. That considered, any recommendation if I may want to practice in the U.S. in the end?

Canadian schools are cheaper thats why, A LOT cheaper

i think this should be an Allopathic thread not a pre-Allo thread. you may want to post the questions there to get a better feedback.

sweeeeeeeet, other canadians, I was wondering where they all were.
Suddenly I dont feel so alone
thanks man

It's a non-issue, speaking as an American who went to school in Canada. All of my counterparts matched with ease and Canadian schools are very well received.

hey are Canadians who apply to medical schools in the States considered International students? or just nonresidents?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to McGill this cycle. I don't know if they specifically prepare you for the USMLE, but the quality of education at McGill is superb; if you do well in classes you will surely know what you need to for the boards. Also, American students are supposed to enter the regular U.S. Residency Match, so I don't think you're at a disadvantage. I'm sure residency program directors know that McGill is like the Harvard of Canada. And knowing something about a completely different healthcare system has got to be a plus!

Good luck!

Hi, I'm a second year and I haven't taken the USMLE yet, but I'm fairly certain there is little difference in basic science curricula between mcgill and american schools. The USMLE review books that I've used along with my courses have covered the same material we're learning in class. The only major difference might be psychological in that the school does not make a big deal about the exam nor is everyone stressing about it because most canadians simply take it to pass to allow for the possibility of going to the states.

Just wondered if it was possible to get a good residency from Canadian medical schools? (Specifically McGill)...I know that they are comparable to U.S. schools as far as GPA and MCAT averages, but I didn't know if they prepared you well for USMLE. Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!!

bah.. there are more spots at McGill for Americans than there are for out of province.

man I'm wasting time with this app.

I'm a 3rd year medical student at McGill, from the U.S. I took my USMLE last summer and did more than adequately to do the competitive residency I am considering. McGill gives you the information you need to be prepared, but regardless of whether you go to school at McGill or somewhere in the U.S., you still have to work your a** off to do well on that awful exam.
McGill is an excellent school, and I have found that the U.S. schools where I want to do electives are aware of McGill's reputation and are excited to get students from here, as in general the clinical training is superior to that in most U.S. schools.... we pretty much run the hospitals as 3rd and 4th yr students.

and as far as having more americans than out of province students, actually it's not true that there are more americans. McGill has accepted 10 americans and 10 out of province students for the last 3 years (starting my admission year). Prior to that, 20 americans and 10 ooprovince students were admitted.

And for McGill you also need to know French so that you won't have to depend on interpreters if the need arises during the clinical years. If you can pick it up in the first two years that would be nice. Four years later you get an MD degree, knowledge of one more language and also know how 20 C feels like!

I am currently an undergrad in California and I am strongly considering McGill. I have spoken to several Americans studying medicine at McGill who came back to the U.S. for residency and entered top programs. My impression is that it is a top notch school that will open many doors. It has a great tradition in medicine (Osler and Penfield where there). It is also significantly cheaper than private U.S. schools and is located in an amazing city-I mean have you ever been to Montreal!? Incredible! At this point, it is my first choice. Hopefully I have a shot!

And for McGill you also need to know French so that you won't have to depend on interpreters if the need arises during the clinical years. If you can pick it up in the first two years that would be nice. Four years later you get an MD degree, will knowledge one more language and also know how 20 C feels like!

Hi,

Just wanted to correct the above misnomer...though French would certainly be helpful (as with any additional language), it is not absolutely necessary...the hospitals you rotate through are English hospitals and although a decent percentage of the patients speak French, you will never be given francophone patients (there are enough French-speaking students in the classes to ensure this)...

Hope this clarifies things...

-prag

yeah seriously...there goes another american thinking that everyone from Montreal is a "french-canadian"...

By the way, McGill is the number one school in Canada, and number 21 in the world. Was that your question?
here are the rankings:
http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/2006/tables/top_200/

lol, oh man, I turned down two schools that rank higher than my current school for undergrad. :laugh: I guess these rankings don't matter. ;)

Going to a Canadian school as an American in my eyes, is equal to getting into a top 20 US medical school; it will only serve to open doors for you that is if you work hard.

Thanks for ALL the feedback! For those of you who applied to McGill, how long was your essay? Did you use the whole four pages???? Thanks!!!!

Thanks for ALL the feedback! For those of you who applied to McGill, how long was your essay? Did you use the whole four pages???? Thanks!!!!

I've just had about 5 people go through and tear up my essay. It's exactly 4 pages, 1188 words.

Only problem is, the first paragraph is one line longer than the "one-page" guideline...but whatever.

1163 words here.