How hard is it to move states once you are a practicing physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For MDs, how hard is it to move to a different state and practice their? In terms of job markets and in terms of certifications and exams you need to take to practice in each state?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For most specialties its very easy.

However, you might have to take a pay cut or live in a more undesirable location sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on where you want to go :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure if you want to move to Ruraltown, USA there will be a red carpet laid out for you and a parade held in your honor - but in NYC you might have to start building your practice by buying people's kidneys from the street and selling them.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure if you want to move to Ruraltown, USA there will be a red carpet laid out for you and a parade held in your honor - but in NYC you might have to start building your practice by buying people's kidneys from the street and selling them.

lol.

Do you have to retake board exams to be licensed by each state?

Do you have to retake board exams to be licensed by each state?

I'm fairly certain that board exams are national rather than state-specific. Lawyers have to take the bar exam in the state they want to practice in because the law varies state to state. Medicine, on the other hand, is pretty consistent in terms of what you need to know.

"Board exams" = United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Step 1/2/3 -- emphasis on the "United States" part. Once you take and pass all three parts, you're set.

Specialty boards (for the specialty in which you complete a residency) are also nation-wide. You take these after completing your residency and take re-certification exams every 10 years.

Moving states from a "legally allowed to practice" angle isn't difficult, it's just expensive and time consuming. For example, I'm moving to California after my internship and the process of getting a license will probably take ~6 months and cost about $800.

Requirements vary by state, but generally they require a certified copy of your med school diploma, USMLE scores, and certificate from your internship and/or residency. Foreign grads require extra documentation. Your specialty does not impact your ability to obtain a license in a different state.

Now establishing a practice is a different can of worms. If you are moving to an area with a big need (i.e. primary care in a rural area), your new employer/group/hospital may pay for your fees and help your jump through the hoops of getting licensed, but the steps to get that done are essentially the same.

A hospitalist I was talking with stated he could "close his eyes and point to anywhere in the US" and there would be a job for him. Varies but specialty, but for the most part there's pretty great flexibility for physician's to move states as opposed to other careers.

Thank you so much guys!