How hard is to go to these Pharmacy schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsbkp08

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im a senior and going to apply to pharmacy schools this fall.
I was thinking of USP - University of Science in Philadelphia
Rutgers
Purdue
U mich
St. Johns
Buffalo
Northeastern.
These are the universities I was thinking of.
But, I heard that it is like IMPOSSIBLE to get into these schools.
How hard is it to get into these schools?
I really want to go to one of these schools.
So can you please help me?
thanx guys

Members don't see this ad.

there are a lot of research methods that you can utilize to compare and contrast these schools for yourself. You should maybe start with the AACP Website to build your list for yourself. I would also suggest searching these schools on this forum to see what has already been said about these schools. Also try to go to the Pharmacy Forum and ask some of the current students about their experiences so far.

You should search around the forum and look at the past threads on each school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into two of those schools and out-of-state even. Definitely doable, but it depends on how strong your application is and what the applicant pool is like when you apply. It's typically easier to get into a school where you are a resident of the state or if it is private. No harm in applying to those schools. You never know where you will end up!

I'm applying to purdue too! Mind sharing your stats?

GPA - 3.78
ACT - 28
Soccer
play sax and piano
and that is really about it.. lol
i take honor and ap classes..
and... i live in nj

All are certainly attainable, mainly depends on how you perform in college. Your activities so far seem pretty negligible, I would try to join a club and get a leadership position this fall in high school. I still used a couple activities I did in high school on my pharmacy app. Whats your home state of residency?

home residency?
you mean like what state i live in?
i live in nj..
well
im going to apply as rolling admission for USP.
does anyone have any ideas how the USP financial aid works?
thanx...
this really helps me alot.. :D

Hi, Im a senior and going to apply to pharmacy schools this fall.
I was thinking of USP - University of Science in Philadelphia
Rutgers
Purdue
U mich
St. Johns
Buffalo
Northeastern.
These are the universities I was thinking of.
But, I heard that it is like IMPOSSIBLE to get into these schools.
How hard is it to get into these schools?
I really want to go to one of these schools.
So can you please help me?
thanx guys

Just as hard as any other school that's established...of which there are 70 or so. The only schools that are "easy" to get into are the newer schools that have opened within the last decade. Even then, they aren't THAT easy to get into relative to all things academia.

Buffalo has an early assurance program as well. As a freshman (directly from HS, not a transfer) you go in with a declared major of pharmacy and if you keep a 3.5 as a math/science GPA for your first 3 semesters of undergrad you have a spot already lined up in the pharmacy school for your 3rd year. There is still an interview and although it matters it's really intended to see if you have the dedication to go through the PharmD program and to make sure you can communicate well enough (not as much pressure). Also, no need to take the PCAT if you get in through early assurance

It's was tough to keep a 3.5 with the kind of courses you need but for me it was worth it because it took away the pressure of applying with so many other people. It was up to me and how hard I was willing to work, and a competition with myself instead of competing with others for a spot in the school through regular admissions

What you would need to keep an overall 3.5 in:
Stats, Calc I, Calc II, Gen Chem I, Gen Chem II, Evolutionary bio, Cell bio, Organic I, Organic II, Physics I, Physics II (both calc based)

Any questions about that just ask, like I said, it was tough but worth it, and I love the Pharm school here, I'm going into my P2 year this fall.

Good luck!

Hey, I just graduated as a senior from FL and applied to a bunch of those schools.
Stats: 3.8 / 4.4 gpa
33 act
nhs

no real extracurriculars, just a job (or, rather, several).
However, I had a BUNCH of classes from a c.c. through dual-enrollment (74), so that played a part in my decision.

MCPHS - accepted, would only take 6 credit hours
Rutgers - accepted, would only take 5 non-science hours
Albany - accepted into 2nd year, provided I take stats over the summer. would have to retake all the 2nd year courses at Albany.
USP - rejected! (I was seriously on the phone with them every week - they kept extending the decision deadline. Everytime I called they would give me a different date. After 5 months of waiting, they finally rejected me bc my app. was incomplete...:thumbdown:)
FAMU - accepted, all credits would transfer (in-state), decided against
URI - rejected! (where I really wanted to go, too :( )
St. Johns - rejected! (too much advanced standing I guess)

So yeah, that's it. I decided to go to my state school and finish my B.S. I hope this helps any one else in a weird situation like I was, because there wasn't much info in the search about dual-enrollment stuff. :luck:

I go to USP, so if you want the "inside scoop", you can PM me or you can IM me on radioactveman1.

Financial aid: Merit grant is basically 7k to everyone. If you're in the honors program, you also get some money for books. They also give out need-based grants on a very limited basis.

Admissions: when I applied, a 1250 on the SATs and a 3.5 HS GPA was enough. Would assume it's about the same now. After 2 years, you have to keep a 2.7 or you get kicked out.

Campus life: not much. People here study too much and go home on the weekends. Greek life is good if you're interested in that kind of stuff. We do have an awesome gym tho.

Faculty: pretty good as far as I've seen right now. I heard the faculty for some of the higher-level classes suck, but overall the profs. are pretty supportive.

New stuff (just for old-timer, if he sees this post): P&T is now over 2 years, not 1. This should make the students' lives easier as well as increase their knowledge. As I said, there is an honors program.