How hard really is dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhitb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know everyone here are motivated pre-dents/dental students. But just wondering how hard is dental school? Does the average student study everyday of the week including weekends? Do they have a winter break or summer off?

Members don't see this ad.

Some websites are helpful when it comes to curriculum and time management. I read somewhere the average student studies 20 hours a week for the first year and it drops considerably as you progress into 3rd and 4th years. Everyone is different though, so you will just have to find your way.

this is a good question to ask in the dental forums so more dental students can answer.

everyone has their own way of doing things depending on their school/habits of studying. some study well before the week of a test(s), some cram, and the rest are in between.

during my first year, there were some weeks where i studied just only 10 hours (we'll call that a warm up week) and when it really got heavy it was definitely 20+ hours. so if i studied 6 hours each for saturday and sunday (total 12) and 2-4 hours on each weekday (total 10-20 hours), then i was studying for 22-32 hours.

i'm a single guy so i have much more wiggle room to choose when to study during the week.

generally, we get time off for winter break and also "breaks" for summer. I say summer "breaks" because after my second year I will be studying most of the summer for boards part 1. After my third year I'm required to do an externship in the same state so I can't go home for the whole summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know everyone here are motivated pre-dents/dental students. But just wondering how hard is dental school? Does the average student study everyday of the week including weekends? Do they have a winter break or summer off?

no one around here knows since we haven't started dental school yet.

And the answer is going to be very biased. I've heard stories of students studying day and night just to pass while others did just bare minimum studying to pass and earn the degree 4 years later.... it depends on the students personality, work ethic, time management, and their background.

I can talk until I am blue in the face about how difficult it is, but there is no way you will know unless you experience it.

The flow of basic science information is like a fire hydrant. The lab work will keep you up late at night to meet deadlines. Patients are unreliable and your work never seems to be good enough for the faculty.

I would definitely do it again if I had to.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it depends where you want to rank in class and what your goals are. If you want to learn what you need to, aren't concerned about rank, and want to be a GP after dental school, it isn't that bad. Sure it's busy, but very doable.

If you want to be in the top 10%, do research, be a class officer, do externships, gun for ortho, etc. it can be very busy.

thanks for the repliess! and yes DrFelt i was asking mostly for the regular GP route, not really heading towards specialization, research, top 10% etc. Just wanted to know if dental school is doable since I come from a large family, it'll be hard to dedicate my entire time solely to school...

+1 to lemoncurry's response. You will be competing with winners, all of them. Even the last ranked in the class came from a background of being #1 or in the proximity in his or her own respect.

from what ive heard...

you think youre smart until you get into dental school, where (like previously mentioned) everyone had what it takes to make it to that school, and you are no longer as good as you thought you once were

A young dentist once assured me the hardest part about dental school is getting in. (Unless of course, you're trying to specialize in Oral or Ortho, in which cases you need to be near the top of class just to have a chance.)

If you think about it, it makes sense. Dental schools are expecting to collect $300-400K from each student during his/her education. If it's too difficult to graduate and people start dropping out, that's a lot of $$$ the school cannot afford to lose. Thus, the program is designed so people should be able to coast through as long as they put in the work.

Just get in and you'll be fine.

A young dentist once assured me the hardest part about dental school is getting in. (Unless of course, you're trying to specialize in Oral or Ortho, in which cases you need to be near the top of class just to have a chance.)

If you think about it, it makes sense. Dental schools are expecting to collect $300-400K from each student during his/her education. If it's too difficult to graduate and people start dropping out, that's a lot of $$$ the school cannot afford to lose. Thus, the program is designed so people should be able to coast through as long as they put in the work.

Just get in and you'll be fine.

Says someone who is still a predent. From all the dental students I have talked to, its hard... very hard. Like some others have said, you are now going to be in class with the best, and you can no longer coast your way through and do well. You can coast if you want, you just wont do well. goodluck half-assing through your NBDE exams :rolleyes:

don't get me wrong. You can still half-ass your way through dental school (at least the classroom stuff). The thing is, what you know as half-ass in undergrad is considered failing in dental school. You have to raise the bar of half-ass when you're in dental school. The MAIN thing is that it takes up so much of your time.

My dentist told me that dental school is leagues tougher than undergard, saying undergrad was a joke compared to ds. So yeah, it's going to be a lot of info in not a lot of time.

No more drinking every/other night.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is a joke..cram night before every test and get an easy A..boards are joke too. cram night before and u are into any ortho/oms residency

'nuff said

it is a joke..cram night before every test and get an easy A..boards are joke too. cram night before and u are into any ortho/oms residency

'nuff said

You serious?? Are you in dental school, or did you just hear this from someone? :shifty:

thanks for the blog! first year looks very packed... and hard

So 1st and 2nd year mostly consist of studying. Would 3rd and 4th be better? Are they easier than the first 2 years since they consist mostly of clinicals and patient care?

1st year is especially difficult because of course load and sim lab which will be brand new to you and unless you were born to drill, there will be a learning curve to it. Most find anatomy to be the most difficult, especially if you didnt take it before in undergrad.

2nd year is also hard but not as bad if you are doing well in sim. The thing about 2nd year is NBDE I which is a monster of a test and if you plan on specializing it will become the "Godzilla" of monster exams. A test like you have never taken before (Makes the DAT look like a pop-quiz).

3rd year is more frustrating than hard as you have to switch gears from didactics to actual dentistry. It's not the dentistry that will frustrate you but the getting used to the system, dealing with patient scheduling and the excruciating frustration when dealing with multiple faculty who seem to all contradict each other while simultaneously make you feel like an idiot.

4th year is as hard as you make it because you are pretty much in complete control of how hard it will be. By then you will know the system and the faculty in order to get the stuff you need done. Three things in your control that will make your 4th year either the best year or the worst:
1) NBDE Part II -- take this test early!! Do not wait until fall quarter of your 4th year. Trust me on this. Take it before xmas break if you can or you can sacrifice your xmas break and take it right afterwards, using the break to study. Don't worry about the score, just pass it.
2) Requirements -- again, do not wait on these. You should burn through these and have them all complete by the end of winter quarter in your 4th. Trust me, you do not want to be delivering your last crown or pros arch one week before graduation. Not fun!
3) License exam (WREB, NERB, etc). Start looking for pt's in Jan and have ideal primary and back-ups well in advance of your exam. THE most stressful time was the 3-4 weeks before the WREB. Once your done with it the rest of D-School is awesome! You roll in, do a prophy in the morning...do a class V in the afternoon and go get ripped during happy hour somewhere...rinse and repeat!

Well, that's my 2 cents

I just took Part I of the National Boards yesterday, so I am now officially done with my first year of dental school. Here are some thoughts:

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I had heard horror stories of students staying in the library until 10 pm every weekday night, not being able to go on dates with their wife/girlfriend, etc. I found that if I was able to manage my time well, I was still able to take my wife to a movie, spend time with my daughter, relax and watch a football game, etc. Time management is KEY. A lot of students really struggle with time management/priorities, and it makes life harder for them than it should be. There's a lot of material, for sure, and there were plenty of nights that I was up until 1 or 2 studying for a test, but it wasn't every night for sure.

It also depends on what you want to get out of your education. Students who want to be at the top of the class will obviously work harder than those who just want to get by. I'm confident I could have studied 10 hours a week or so and gotten C's in all my classes (which is passing). But that's not what I wanted, so I had to work harder than that.

I will say that the National Board exam was easily the hardest test I've ever taken, and the most I've ever studied for a test in my life. I think the board exam was probably the hardest part of the entire year; it feels good to be done.

As far as breaks go, every school is different. At Midwestern, we have a week break at every quarter, a week at Christmas, and a week at Thanksgiving. We also get the summer between first and second year off, so that we can study for and take boards. Some students study the whole summer, others (like me) study for 4 weeks, take the test, and then have the rest of the break to enjoy. But every school's different.

In general I would say that it's been harder than undergrad, but I'm not sure if I can attribute that solely to more difficult concepts/quantity of material, or the fact that I'm trying a lot harder. However, you'll still be able to have a life, go out on the town, socialize, etc.

I'll be back in a year to let you know how year 2 was :).

wow thanks alot pdizzle and Supertank for ur detailed response!
Lets just hope these 4 years of dental school go by fast and successfully cause it's hard to juggle school with family...

I just took Part I of the National Boards yesterday, so I am now officially done with my first year of dental school. Here are some thoughts:

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I had heard horror stories of students staying in the library until 10 pm every weekday night, not being able to go on dates with their wife/girlfriend, etc. I found that if I was able to manage my time well, I was still able to take my wife to a movie, spend time with my daughter, relax and watch a football game, etc. Time management is KEY. A lot of students really struggle with time management/priorities, and it makes life harder for them than it should be. There's a lot of material, for sure, and there were plenty of nights that I was up until 1 or 2 studying for a test, but it wasn't every night for sure.

It also depends on what you want to get out of your education. Students who want to be at the top of the class will obviously work harder than those who just want to get by. I'm confident I could have studied 10 hours a week or so and gotten C's in all my classes (which is passing). But that's not what I wanted, so I had to work harder than that.

I will say that the National Board exam was easily the hardest test I've ever taken, and the most I've ever studied for a test in my life. I think the board exam was probably the hardest part of the entire year; it feels good to be done.

As far as breaks go, every school is different. At Midwestern, we have a week break at every quarter, a week at Christmas, and a week at Thanksgiving. We also get the summer between first and second year off, so that we can study for and take boards. Some students study the whole summer, others (like me) study for 4 weeks, take the test, and then have the rest of the break to enjoy. But every school's different.

In general I would say that it's been harder than undergrad, but I'm not sure if I can attribute that solely to more difficult concepts/quantity of material, or the fact that I'm trying a lot harder. However, you'll still be able to have a life, go out on the town, socialize, etc.

I'll be back in a year to let you know how year 2 was :).

Did you use the first aid for NBDE I book by any chance? Did it help you with the exam?

Hey SuperTank / Pdizzle

Now that NBDE part-I is going pass/fail, do you think dental decks are enough for pass?

I can talk until I am blue in the face about how difficult it is, but there is no way you will know unless you experience it.

The flow of basic science information is like a fire hydrant. The lab work will keep you up late at night to meet deadlines. Patients are unreliable and your work never seems to be good enough for the faculty.

I would definitely do it again if I had to.

Wow, maybe I should withdraw my application... :( (I need my beauty rest)

You say "do it again" are you saying it's over but you're still in dental school? If your description equaled only like the first 1-2 years then it wouldn't make me want to spit on my laptop and scream obscenities... (sigh)

*Makes a note to avoid LLU. ;)

Hey SuperTank / Pdizzle

Now that NBDE part-I is going pass/fail, do you think dental decks are enough for pass?

Yup... with maybe a few wikipedia look-ups. I still recommend Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple. That's such an awesome book for boards. That and decks and you're good to go.

Wow, maybe I should withdraw my application... :( (I need my beauty rest)

You say "do it again" are you saying it's over but you're still in dental school? If your description equaled only like the first 1-2 years then it wouldn't make me want to spit on my laptop and scream obscenities... (sigh)

*Makes a note to avoid LLU. ;)

Solution:
Don't withdraw your app.
Play less LOL.
Get more sleep.
Success!! :thumbup::D

Dental school is not hard if you are only aiming to pass. There is a lot of material, but it is nowhere near "undoable." I am a transfer student, so have had the luxury of seeing 2 dental schools firsthand, and there is no real difference in regards to curriculum/workload (which leads me to believe it's the same at most.) If you manage your time wisely, you can still do all the things you have always done (ie tv, gym, go out..just maybe not all in the same day sometimes.) some days I study literally all day and some days I study none.

Dental school is not hard if you are only aiming to pass. There is a lot of material, but it is nowhere near "undoable." I am a transfer student, so have had the luxury of seeing 2 dental schools firsthand, and there is no real difference in regards to curriculum/workload (which leads me to believe it's the same at most.) If you manage your time wisely, you can still do all the things you have always done (ie tv, gym, go out..just maybe not all in the same day sometimes.) some days I study literally all day and some days I study none.

Very interesting about transferring schools...
If it isn't too personal could tell us why? and how was that process, did you have to add on an extra year?

Very interesting about transferring schools...
If it isn't too personal could tell us why? and how was that process, did you have to add on an extra year?

I was very fortunate in the fact that I did not have to add on an extra year. I completed fall and spring semesters of 1st year at the first school I attended, and then entered directly into summer of first year at the school i am currently attending. The process was lengthy but uninvolved. Most of the time was spent waiting on letters to be written by my first school, and then reviewed by my new school. As for the reason, both programs are great, but the school I am at now is just a better fit for me and was my first choice. So I basically saw an opportunity and went for it, and I was lucky to have it all work out

Hey SuperTank / Pdizzle

For the most part, yes, but you'll probably have to Wikipedia a bunch of stuff, too. I studied using First Aid, and felt it was pretty weak... a LOT of errors (and I mean BIG, easy to spot errors, (like a diagram showing the pulmonary artery coming off the left ventricle, for example). I got through the book, then did all the dental decks. The decks are far more informational, and don't just gloss over the hard stuff like First Aid does. I also took 6 old board exams as practice tests, and had the Crack the NBDE softward (3 exams). It was a lot of material, and required a lot of work to get through it all. That being said, there were STILL questions on the test about stuff I've never heard of before.

But I wasn't going just for a passing score, so if your goal was just to pass the test, you probably wouldn't need to put in that amount of work. Assuming that the curve or formula or whatever they use doesn't change for next year, you only need about a 58% on the test (just over 230/400 questions) to pass. That's not that bad. You can know 45% of the answers, and put C on everything you don't know and pass the test.

Did you use the first aid for NBDE I book by any chance? Did it help you with the exam?

Overall, this book doesn't have much value. If you are the type that forgets the basics easily, I would get it. But it doesn't go into nearly the depth you need to do well on the test. It's also full of errors, and that was frustrating (but then again, dental decks have tons of errors, too). If I could redo it (and I'm praying hard that I'll never have to!) I would focus more of my studying at released board exams; not just learning the answers to the questions, but learning about why the other options are wrong.

For the most part, yes, but you'll probably have to Wikipedia a bunch of stuff, too. I studied using First Aid, and felt it was pretty weak... a LOT of errors (and I mean BIG, easy to spot errors, (like a diagram showing the pulmonary artery coming off the left ventricle, for example). I got through the book, then did all the dental decks. The decks are far more informational, and don't just gloss over the hard stuff like First Aid does. I also took 6 old board exams as practice tests, and had the Crack the NBDE softward (3 exams). It was a lot of material, and required a lot of work to get through it all. That being said, there were STILL questions on the test about stuff I've never heard of before.

But I wasn't going just for a passing score, so if your goal was just to pass the test, you probably wouldn't need to put in that amount of work. Assuming that the curve or formula or whatever they use doesn't change for next year, you only need about a 58% on the test (just over 230/400 questions) to pass. That's not that bad. You can know 45% of the answers, and put C on everything you don't know and pass the test.

Jesus Christ.... 58% raw to pass?
I only asked about passing because in the year I take it (2013), the boards ~ according to my understanding ~ will be pass/fail.

Jesus Christ.... 58% raw to pass?
I only asked about passing because in the year I take it (2013), the boards ~ according to my understanding ~ will be pass/fail.

The test will be very different from the current version. It will NOT be the same test that is taken now, but instead they will introduce new item types. For more information about this, check out the following document and check the section titled "New Item Types Coming to National Board Examinations in 2012".

http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/Volume_3_Number_2.pdf

Also, for all future predents that will be taking the board after 2015, which I guess are the crazy high school kids with no lives that visit this forum, the NBDE 1 and NBDE 2 will be combined into a super board exam, which will be known as the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE). Check out the following for more information:

http://www.ada.org/5553.aspx

Why do I know this information? It is because I have way too much time to do useless stuff this summer.

The test will be very different from the current version. It will NOT be the same test that is taken now, but instead they will introduce new item types. For more information about this, check out the following document and check the section titled "New Item Types Coming to National Board Examinations in 2012".

http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/Volume_3_Number_2.pdf

Also, for all future predents that will be taking the board after 2015, which I guess are the crazy high school kids with no lives that visit this forum, the NBDE 1 and NBDE 2 will be combined into a super board exam, which will be known as the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE). Check out the following for more information:

http://www.ada.org/5553.aspx

Why do I know this information? It is because I have way too much time to do useless stuff this summer.

:eek: those new question types are scored on a 0 or 1 scale...?! good lord.

wow....i'm surprised you found out about this. gj. if the board change that much. they might change the DAT too.

Solution:
Don't withdraw your app.
Play less LOL.
Get more sleep.
Success!! :thumbup::D

Pretty fed up with the process already, but I paid so I might as well see what happens.

NEVER, LoL is way too fun, just loaded up a game actually! :p

I'll try to cut back if I get into dental school?

I cant offer any experience since im not in DS yet but i was reading the UOP board and people were saying how the program isnt "that bad" and the average student were able to go out 2-3x / week and still get decent grades despite the fact thats a 3 year program :eek:

from that info it seems the rest of the 4 year program wont be so bad ?:confused:

really if people say it take 40 hour studying per week to get excellent grades it isnt really THAT bad is it?

3h x5 on weekdays, 10 hours each on Sat/Sun, and still some time to go out no?

Some of you have probably read me say this before, I'll repeat

I don't know how much work it requires to just "pass" DS... but my sister finished 3rd in her class (or 2nd), she used to study pretty much all the time. I remember a few nights, I'd wake up to go pee (2-3 am) and the light in her room was still on (still studying). This was very typical for her. Get home around 5-6, studied till like, I dunno, she was always studying. Weekends, same thing, no personal life whatsoever, just studied all day (and night)

I don't know how much work it requires to just "pass" DS... but my sister finished 3rd in her class (or 2nd), she used to study pretty much all the time. I remember a few nights, I'd wake up to go pee (2-3 am) and the light in her room was still on (still studying). This was very typical for her. Get home around 5-6, studied till like, I dunno, she was always studying. Weekends, same thing, no personal life whatsoever, just studied all day (and night)

what school does she go to if you dont mind me asking?

Originally Posted by dentalWorks

Did she study that hard to specialize? or just to pass?

Dentalworks, I'm guessing she lived at home? How far was the commute? Did she feel like commuting hindered her at all?

Did she study that hard to specialize? or just to pass?

Well... I dunno why she studied that hard, obviously, she didn't need that kinda rank, since she never specialized. When I ask her about it now, she just says she didn't wanna go through more schooling, 4 years of DS were enough for her.

Dentalworks, I'm guessing she lived at home? How far was the commute? Did she feel like commuting hindered her at all?

we Lived in Oak Park back then (probably 25-30 minutes away from the old dental building). So I don't think the commute bothered her at all. She did stay at home, she didn't even get married till 3 years after graduation (no boyfriends either lol)

we Lived in Oak Park back then (probably 25-30 minutes away from the old dental building). So I don't think the commute bothered her at all. She did stay at home, she didn't even get married till 3 years after graduation (no boyfriends either lol)

No boyfriend-super focused woman!!! I'm trying to decide whether to commute and give up a place I put down a deposit for, since I live at most 30 min away from the medical center...Good to know she was able to make it work and do extremely well, even with the drive.

Well... I dunno why she studied that hard, obviously, she didn't need that kinda rank, since she never specialized. When I ask her about it now, she just says she didn't wanna go through more schooling, 4 years of DS were enough for her.

sounds like a burn out but kudo's for her for graduating top of her class

just goes to show that hard work really paids off

what really scares me are the Lab Component in DS that you cant really study for tho

Pretty fed up with the process already, but I paid so I might as well see what happens.

NEVER, LoL is way too fun, just loaded up a game actually! :p

I'll try to cut back if I get into dental school?

I still played LOL during my first year, but it wasn't as much as before. After a long long day/night, i would slip in a game or two before going to bed.

1) It depends how good your hand skills are

If you do your assignments right the first time, you won't have to stay after hours re-doing them... You can spend an extra 10-20 HOURS A WEEK just because of this.

2) How much insider information you have (i.e who you know)

This one probably depends more on the dental school and how they do their academic tests and stuff. But if the tests are just repeats from the previous years then who you know and the information you have is HUGGEEE!

1) It depends how good your hand skills are

If you do your assignments right the first time, you won't have to stay after hours re-doing them... You can spend an extra 10-20 HOURS A WEEK just because of this.

2) How much insider information you have (i.e who you know)

This one probably depends more on the dental school and how they do their academic tests and stuff. But if the tests are just repeats from the previous years then who you know and the information you have is HUGGEEE!

I haven't really found either of these to be that true.
I mean at my school we are given plenty of time in sim clinic and lab to complete our work and even those who struggle with hands skills are typically out on time. We have a good amount of faculty present to help those who need it.
Additionally, my school is really good about sharing information. I haven't noticed the "inside information" being an issue at my school. Im not saying that these 2 issues aren't a big deal at some schools, but I would not say that they are universally true. Just a different perspective for everyone I guess.

www.diaryofadentalstudent.blogspot.com