How has PT changed since becoming DPT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted671726

I am in my first year of PT school and I am aware that PT schools have changed to DPT in recent years. This being a transition time, I was wondering 2 main questions:

1) How has the actual job changed since going from MPT to DPT?

• Responsibility
  • Autonomy
  • Salary
  • Etc.
  • What is the end-goal of becoming DPT?
2) How has school changed since going from MPT to DPT?
  • Length
  • What classes were added that makes it a doctorate instead of a masters
  • Etc.
What are your guys' thoughts? For context, can you also mention your current position and how long you have been working?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in my first year of PT school and I am aware that PT schools have changed to DPT in recent years. This being a transition time, I was wondering 2 main questions:

• Responsibility
  • Autonomy
  • Salary
  • Etc.
  • Length
  • Etc.
What are your guys' thoughts? For context, can you also mention your current position and how long you have been working?

We now do one more year of school do the exact same job as someone with a master's degree, so you tell me the difference.

From a credit load stand point the MPT was busting at the seams. It was not a big jump to the DPT curriculum.

There are plenty of threads discussing this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind, could you give me a link or title to these threads?

• Responsibility
  • Autonomy
  • Salary
  • Etc.
  • Length
  • Etc.

I am still an SPT so take this for what its worth.

Salary has not changed.

School costs have doubled.

Time in school has increased including demands.

Reimbursements have decreased, work and patient load has increased.

Not all these are due to the DPT changes though.

Reactions: 1 user
Call me crazy and let me stir the pot too....just finished my 1st year of school and still shake my head sometimes at why this is more than a bachelor's degree.

Call me crazy and let me stir the pot too....just finished my 1st year of school and still shake my head sometimes at why this is more than a bachelor's degree.

Why is any entry level clinical degree any more than a bachelors? Remember, even the MD degree, was a BS degree. It still is in many countries. But as a licensed healthcare professional with a certain level of obtainable entry level skill and expected responsibility, life experience is valued. The belief is that the individual will possess some level of maturity, compassion, etc etc etc. Is that required? Probably not. But that's how many of our licensed professional degrees are structured.

Reactions: 1 user
I am still an SPT so take this for what its worth.

Salary has not changed.

School costs have doubled.

Time in school has increased including demands.

Reimbursements have decreased, work and patient load has increased.

Not all these are due to the DPT changes though.

Patient load has offset decreased reimbursements though I assume? How much have reimbursements actually decreased? Are you describing medicare mostly? Im also seeing people gearing up for cash based. Planning is being talked about everywhere.

This is what makes me annoyed.....the growing EBP (I'm at a big research spot) and studies are clearly showing how PT is a better way to go as a first care provider primarily because you actually change people's behavior and habits in addition to therapy (a script for painkillers doesn't). Couple that with patient wait times for physician and better patient outcomes for overall health when a person gets done with therapy..................Sooooo how do we get this across to actuaries and insurance companies that this works? Its not like they really know jack **** about healthcare really, yet they determine rates? Uh, I would think that lobbying to them or something would be good and change that. As for medicare, the next presidential election will most likely determine how that will go.

Why is any entry level clinical degree any more than a bachelors? Remember, even the MD degree, was a BS degree. It still is in many countries. But as a licensed healthcare professional with a certain level of obtainable entry level skill and expected responsibility, life experience is valued. The belief is that the individual will possess some level of maturity, compassion, etc etc etc. Is that required? Probably not. But that's how many of our licensed professional degrees are structured.

Yeah completion of bachelor's and the prerequisites are a combination of competency for candidate selection and straight up selecting people out. There would be WAY too many terrible and incompetent people in healthcare if they could just select the degree straight outta high school.

Last edited: