How have neurohospitalist jobs evolved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chajjohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to come up with some info on what being a neurohospitalist would be like, but the only threads I've found were from 20011 or earlier. Wondering if anyone has some perspective on how the field has changed in the past few years, if at all. What are common schedules of neurohospitalists, and is it mostly in academic centers? Is their work almost solely procedure based? Do you not really have your "own" patients since you're only inpatient? Do most places want some sort of neuro-crit training? Is burnout common?

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Neurohospitalist jobs are incredibly variable. This is a bit difficult to answer since it looks like you're not in med school yet, but it's a lot like being on a busy inpatient Neurology consult service all the time + you evaluate patients emergently in the ER to give tPA (in lots of places the ER docs give the tPA, but most prefer the Neurologists to do it if they're available). It's possible to find positions where you work one week on, one week off or something similar. Your week on is close to 12 hr days. You will also be covering some night call for tPA emergencies and to help the ER triage neuro patients. Most neurohospitalists are actually at private hospitals, not at academic centers. Most of these private hospitals do not have an inpatient neurology service, so yes, you mostly act as a consultant. Stroke or neurocritical care training would make you incredibly competitive for these jobs. I don't think burnout is that common, but that's mostly dependent on whether you have a good team to work with and whether you have enough other neurologists to share the load.