How helpful is ngo work experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JesseVenturaMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have medium to low stats and solid EC's, Americorps among them. Somewhat borderline app overall, so I'm hoping some of my other experiences can give me a boost. How much could my work experience help my application (or not)?

I worked for 5 years for a major humanitarian organization in the United States that involved direct contact with underserved populations on a daily basis. I'm also still involved there on a volunteer basis, albeit sporadically. Is this something to play up in my PS/interviews? Should I expect a bump at all with adcom's, or is it a situation of rapidly diminishing returns? Lastly, is it essential to obtain a letter of rec from the organization? Not sure I would want to replace a solid MD letter for it....

Any opinions are welcome, and thank you in advance. I've searched a good bit and haven't found much already covered in this particular vein.

Members don't see this ad.

I can see your prior experience coming into play in your personal statement and during an interview when medical schools what to get to know you and what you are about. It definitely will separate your from the cookie cutter 22 yo fresh out of undergrad applicant. As for exactly how much this will help you with MD if you have low stats, I am not sure. Having a good story that others can connect with is important but having a strong GPA and MCAT score is more important.

I have medium to low stats and solid EC's, Americorps among them. Somewhat borderline app overall, so I'm hoping some of my other experiences can give me a boost. How much could my work experience help my application (or not)?

I worked for 5 years for a major humanitarian organization in the United States that involved direct contact with underserved populations on a daily basis. I'm also still involved there on a volunteer basis, albeit sporadically. Is this something to play up in my PS/interviews? Should I expect a bump at all with adcom's, or is it a situation of rapidly diminishing returns? Lastly, is it essential to obtain a letter of rec from the organization? Not sure I would want to replace a solid MD letter for it....

Any opinions are welcome, and thank you in advance. I've searched a good bit and haven't found much already covered in this particular vein.

It's helpful, so discuss it. A LOR isn't needed. Anything that shows a commitment to working with the underserved is good, especially with DO and some MD schools that target primary care in underserved areas. Just in your essay include how that influences your want to be a physician.

I worked 2 years with Americorp and thought it was a great way to give back and it was mentioned during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

An MD letter is not particularly useful unless applying to someplace like Rosalind Franklin that requires one.

Your basic must-have LORs are two from science professors and one from a non-science professor (and, if applying DO, a DO letter). The majority of schools will ask for at least (and possibly only) these. If you can't obtain those and they're listed as requirements -- as they will be for most --- be sure and contact them to see what you can substitute, if anything.

Past that, each school has its own rules for how many additional you can send. I've seen all the way from one extra to unlimited. So you're not 'replacing' anything per se. Just when it comes time for application you'll be making choices what to send to each school based on their allowances.

While there's no objective scale that anyone can use to tell you exactly how much any particular EC can "help", anything you've done that you're passionate about will help you stand out. Be sure and write about them well in your application.