How honest should I be about med school desire when shadowing, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Being

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly successful career that I enjoy at the moment, but I think medicine might be right for me for a variety of reasons that I can articulate reasonably well. However, I'm not 100% dead set on medicine, which is why I'm shadowing in the first place - to try to figure out if that's a life I actually want, or if I just like the idea of being a doctor.

Should I be honest with the people I shadow and interact with, and say that I think it's right for me but I'm not completely sure yet? Or should I pretend that without a doubt I know this is the right path for me?

I feel like it must be healthy to have some reservations about going down this path. At the same time, though, I don't want people writing in my LoR's "He's a nice guy but the passion isn't there".

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definite honesty. It's logical, especially when making a huge career change, to make sure you are committed to your new field. Those who you shadow shouldn't think negatively of you for this at all!

Reactions: 1 user
Be honest. You're an older student. People understand medicine is not for everyone. Ask for a letter later once you're sure.

^^^agreed. person you are shadowing may even tell you about their doubts, reservations, fears before entering med school. sounds like a great convo.