How I got a 30 and kept my social life!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcnetsfan77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For all of you that took the 6/21/14 MCAT I hope you all did well! I just wanted to sort of "give back" to SDN after all the aid it lent me through my months of studying. I want to share my story with all of you and how I ended up with a 30 while being able to go to the gym 5 times a week and hangout with my friends on the weekend (because yes, Pre-Meds are cool people and we do have social lives:shifty:)

So my day would consist of waking up early (around 8am), study till lunch, eat, study, eat, gym, and either study if I wasn't burnt out or hangout with my friends (I still had time to see people and do things with them 3 days a week)- and you should make time because DE-stressing is JUST as important as studying..you think I'm crazy but I promise its true.

I want to take a trip down memory lane back to January of 2013-2014...my MCAT studying began:vomit:...over winter break I took a TPR hyperlearning course that squeezed every single piece of content into a couple weeks using TPR books. Some of the teachers were good, others were absolutely terrible so unless you REALLY think you need these types of courses, I'd say save your money and study yourself, especially if money is tight. If money isn't tight and you have the time, I say why not but I cannot confidently say this course helped me a lot at all- I was planning on taking my test in April (I think April 11th was the date)....

With finals around the corner and a tough college schedule as a junior, I just could NOT find the time to study MCAT to the greatest extent that I could while still keeping my GPA high in school. So rule #1 Give the MCAT your absolute full attention, no distractions, no school- this means taking time off or studying over the summer. Since I wasn't ready I pushed back my date to June 21st, and this was a huge shot to my ego and self confidence, I already thought I was a failure- I was wrong, and none of you should ever think that way.

I bit the bullet and did content once, then I did content again....YEA, you read that right, call me a dummy but doing EVERY single piece of content TWICE really helped solidify everything, I was making connections with every single subject and these types of connections between chem and physics or bio and physics or any of the above helped me solve the more "reasoning type" problems. Rule #2- Murder the heck out of content before you start practicing, make sure you know EVER-Y-TH-ING...

(A note on TPR books- They were OK at best, I heard examcrackers is better but honestly I have not had experience with those books. My comments on TPR are some explanations are unclear, formulas get jumbled around sometimes, and sometimes they go TOO in depth, sometimes not enough, it was all over the place...but once again, not sure about TBR or examcrackers or anything else so I can only comment on my TPR experiences)

Practice tests are just as important, I started scoring 21s and eventually was scoring 28-32s regularly. Rule #3- Go over practice tests EXTREMELY carefully...when you see what answers you got wrong go back to content and go through the ENTIRE section again- once again this just solidifies more and more---content, content, content (but practice too :naughty:)

So that's really it for now...if you guys have any specific questions feel free to post/contact me...I might make some edits in the future

Oh and just a note on verbal problems= the best advice I got for verbal (other than practicing a lot) was to really critically analyze each paragraph at a time. This uses a boatload of brain power but you need to read very carefully and very critically. At the end of each paragraph ask yourself "Ok, what is this paragraph saying" then at the end of the next paragraph ask yourself "Ok, why is this paragraph here and how does it relate to the past paragraph(s)"

Addition: Guys, don't burn out. I mean common...give yourselves a break you bust your butts and burning out is no good. Go to the gym, go for a run, play video games, see your friends and don't live in a cave the entire time...time your meals, drink your water, don't rely on too many cups of coffee and get your sleep I cannot stress how important these things were to my studying habits (especially the gym)!....this might be a bit of a controversial subject but I have had experience with friends taking adderall or ritalin who said it helped with verbal. That's up to you guys but I just wanted to touch upon that in case you were thinking about it.

Hope this helps someone, in some way, even a little! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Your schedule implies you studied 8 hours a day. Does anyone not think its possible to get a 30 if you study 8 hours a day with no commitments over the summer? I mean maybe this would be surprising if it was in a few weeks, but otherwise this seems just as intensive, actually.. probably MORE SO than SN2ed

This post may be more angled to those who put in the hours but are still struggling like I did...even though many may have no commitments and give it their all I know a lot of people who still haven't hit the 30+ mark. So to imply that purely the quantity of hours and free time will equal a 30+ is completely wrong. I wanted to focus on my story and the main things that helped me. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: 1 user
Great job dc nets, I faltered on the verbal section but your tips are great and I definitely understand the mcat struggle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great post man, how many practice test did you end up doing in total?

I did every single AAMC and maybe 4 of the princeton review FLs...but i used TPR to just go over them intensely for content review bc as I mentioned above they were really ridiculous at times. AAMCs I took very seriously and with redoing content review and going over each question intensely I would spend maybe 4-6 hours POST test reviewing stuff I missed

I did every single AAMC and maybe 4 of the princeton review FLs...but i used TPR to just go over them intensely for content review bc as I mentioned above they were really ridiculous at times. AAMCs I took very seriously and with redoing content review and going over each question intensely I would spend maybe 4-6 hours POST test reviewing stuff I missed
damn dude you're jacked

Summary of this plan:

1) Do not take prep course
2)Make the MCAT you #1 priority
3)Know everything
4) Take a lot of exams and analyze them

note: The MCAT is a scaled exam, so only 1/5 people even get a 30.

Hello everyone,

For all of you that took the 6/21/14 MCAT I hope you all did well! I just wanted to sort of "give back" to SDN after all the aid it lent me through my months of studying. I want to share my story with all of you and how I ended up with a 30 while being able to go to the gym 5 times a week and hangout with my friends on the weekend (because yes, Pre-Meds are cool people and we do have social lives:shifty:)

So my day would consist of waking up early (around 8am), study till lunch, eat, study, eat, gym, and either study if I wasn't burnt out or hangout with my friends (I still had time to see people and do things with them 3 days a week)- and you should make time because DE-stressing is JUST as important as studying..you think I'm crazy but I promise its true.

I want to take a trip down memory lane back to January of 2013-2014...my MCAT studying began:vomit:...over winter break I took a TPR hyperlearning course that squeezed every single piece of content into a couple weeks using TPR books. Some of the teachers were good, others were absolutely terrible so unless you REALLY think you need these types of courses, I'd say save your money and study yourself, especially if money is tight. If money isn't tight and you have the time, I say why not but I cannot confidently say this course helped me a lot at all- I was planning on taking my test in April (I think April 11th was the date)....

With finals around the corner and a tough college schedule as a junior, I just could NOT find the time to study MCAT to the greatest extent that I could while still keeping my GPA high in school. So rule #1 Give the MCAT your absolute full attention, no distractions, no school- this means taking time off or studying over the summer. Since I wasn't ready I pushed back my date to June 21st, and this was a huge shot to my ego and self confidence, I already thought I was a failure- I was wrong, and none of you should ever think that way.

I bit the bullet and did content once, then I did content again....YEA, you read that right, call me a dummy but doing EVERY single piece of content TWICE really helped solidify everything, I was making connections with every single subject and these types of connections between chem and physics or bio and physics or any of the above helped me solve the more "reasoning type" problems. Rule #2- Murder the heck out of content before you start practicing, make sure you know EVER-Y-TH-ING...

(A note on TPR books- They were OK at best, I heard examcrackers is better but honestly I have not had experience with those books. My comments on TPR are some explanations are unclear, formulas get jumbled around sometimes, and sometimes they go TOO in depth, sometimes not enough, it was all over the place...but once again, not sure about TBR or examcrackers or anything else so I can only comment on my TPR experiences)

Practice tests are just as important, I started scoring 21s and eventually was scoring 28-32s regularly. Rule #3- Go over practice tests EXTREMELY carefully...when you see what answers you got wrong go back to content and go through the ENTIRE section again- once again this just solidifies more and more---content, content, content (but practice too :naughty:)

So that's really it for now...if you guys have any specific questions feel free to post/contact me...I might make some edits in the future

Oh and just a note on verbal problems= the best advice I got for verbal (other than practicing a lot) was to really critically analyze each paragraph at a time. This uses a boatload of brain power but you need to read very carefully and very critically. At the end of each paragraph ask yourself "Ok, what is this paragraph saying" then at the end of the next paragraph ask yourself "Ok, why is this paragraph here and how does it relate to the past paragraph(s)"

Addition: Guys, don't burn out. I mean common...give yourselves a break you bust your butts and burning out is no good. Go to the gym, go for a run, play video games, see your friends and don't live in a cave the entire time...time your meals, drink your water, don't rely on too many cups of coffee and get your sleep I cannot stress how important these things were to my studying habits (especially the gym)!....this might be a bit of a controversial subject but I have had experience with friends taking adderall or ritalin who said it helped with verbal. That's up to you guys but I just wanted to touch upon that in case you were thinking about it.

Hope this helps someone, in some way, even a little! :highfive:
Qft

I did almost the exact same as OP to get a 35.

Thanks !

Qft

I did almost the exact same as OP to get a 35.

Mad Jack congrats on your score...not doubting at all that people could do better than me with the amount of time and effort I put in but theres a couple things I might not have clarified when giving me story: I am not the best standardized test taker at all ( I know this is important for future tests in medical school but I think that will come with more practice as I take my experiences with the MCAT)...Also I am sure a lot of people can relate to the fact that they have put in just as much or even more (double!) the time then I did and still did not break 30. I know someone who took it 6 times, got a 28 finally and actually got into an MD program, forgot which one though it slipped my mind. Luckily I have a pretty good gpa, great ECs, and that 30 isnt too shabby so I wont have to retake

I can really relate to those of you who are working your butts off and not getting results because that is why I had to initially reschedule- it honestly comes down to studying TACTICS over studying time but I started studying lots of hours because I had to make my own mistakes until I learned what tactics worked best....basically I had to take a ****load of time making mistakes in order to figure out what worked well....but I never cut time on going over AAMCs and content (the 2 biggies in my book)- btw if anyone wants to private message me about extreme specifics i can try my best to answer as soon as possible and to the best of my knowledge so feel free

So yes I know Ill get crap from people saying they got 40s in half the time I did and I really am happy for you, but everyone is not the same!...I got a 30 but was in 88-95 percentile in PS

Oh and one last thing: IDK if anyone can relate but when u actually take the real test, half of everything you learned tactic wise for attacking this test goes literally out the window, it all comes down to instinct, and like shooting a free throw in basketball the more u practice the more naturally u can hit that free throw in a triple over-time situation...thats why i reiterate the content so much :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users