How important are non clinical volunteer hours? How is my application looking so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have alot of clinical hours but very few non- clinical hours. How important is non- clinical? I have volunteer experience in the children's ER and on a trauma recovery floor. I am in this college volunteer program at this hospital and next summer I will be a second surgical assist. I use to have alot of non clinical volunteer hours in high school, all 4 years, but I know they don't count in college and for application purposes. I have over 100 clinical hours/ volunteering. Is that ok or should I do some non clinical stuff? My friend works with disabled kids and has this thing every few months where families of disabled kids can drop off their kids at her church ( dad's the pastor) and we play with them and stuff and the parents get the night off. As I said though, it isnt a continuous thing and It's only for like 3-4 hours.

I have around 60 hours of shadowing. I know it's not a lot but i've been with the doctors for more than just a few days. I shadowed a cardiologist for almost a month, Neurology for 2 weeks, and a Neurosurgeon two times. I got to see all of them round, clinic, and OR time. I am trying to see the Neurosurgeon 1 more time because I love Neuro and as of now it is what I want to go into which is why alot of my shadowing is centered around neurology and neurosurgery. I also heard that shadowing Primary Care Physicians is essential. I heard this from a number of people( even admission committees). How important is shadowing PCP? And should it be like 50% PCP and the other 50% speciality docs?

So far I have a year of research experience but I am staying in my lab till I graduate so by the time I graduate ( May 2017) I should have round 2.5-3 years research experience.
I'm not that involved on campus just because I'm pretty busy. My semesters are pretty full 16-19 hours a semester. I work, research and volunteer during the year. I am involved in my residence hall association and a on campus bible study but so far that's it. I've been trying to join some medical/ pre-med organizations but my schedule always conflicts with their meetings and stuff. Do you think me not being that involved on my campus will be a problem?

Thank you guys. I know graduation is a while away but I just like to periodically upload my stats to get feedback and stuff. Also any other suggestions on how to improve my stats and stuff ? thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I have alot of clinical hours but very few non- clinical hours. How important is non- clinical? I have volunteer experience in the children's ER and on a trauma recovery floor. I am in this college volunteer program at this hospital and next summer I will be a second surgical assist. I use to have alot of non clinical volunteer hours in high school, all 4 years, but I know they don't count in college and for application purposes. I have over 100 clinical hours/ volunteering. Is that ok or should I do some non clinical stuff? My friend works with disabled kids and has this thing every few months where families of disabled kids can drop off their kids at her church ( dad's the pastor) and we play with them and stuff and the parents get the night off. As I said though, it isnt a continuous thing and It's only for like 3-4 hours.

I have around 60 hours of shadowing. I know it's not a lot but i've been with the doctors for more than just a few days. I shadowed a cardiologist for almost a month, Neurology for 2 weeks, and a Neurosurgeon two times. I got to see all of them round, clinic, and OR time. I am trying to see the Neurosurgeon 1 more time because I love Neuro and as of now it is what I want to go into which is why alot of my shadowing is centered around neurology and neurosurgery. I also heard that shadowing Primary Care Physicians is essential. I heard this from a number of people( even admission committees). How important is shadowing PCP? And should it be like 50% PCP and the other 50% speciality docs?

So far I have a year of research experience but I am staying in my lab till I graduate so by the time I graduate ( May 2017) I should have round 2.5-3 years research experience.
I'm not that involved on campus just because I'm pretty busy. My semesters are pretty full 16-19 hours a semester. I work, research and volunteer during the year. I am involved in my residence hall association and a on campus bible study but so far that's it. I've been trying to join some medical/ pre-med organizations but my schedule always conflicts with their meetings and stuff. Do you think me not being that involved on my campus will be a problem?

Thank you guys. I know graduation is a while away but I just like to periodically upload my stats to get feedback and stuff. Also any other suggestions on how to improve my stats and stuff ? thanks again!

Its pretty important, but if you have significant volunteering otherwise it might not be a big deal. If you want an easy and fun idea, try volunteer coaching.

For shadowing, 40 hours is enough so don't worry about your 60.

Reactions: 1 user
Its pretty important, but if you have significant volunteering otherwise it might not be a big deal. If you want an easy and fun idea, try volunteer coaching.

For shadowing, 40 hours is enough so don't worry about your 60.
Thank you! I had heard from a few people that you needed 100 or more shadowing so I was a bit worried. So since i only have 8 of those hours shadowing a PCP you think that'll be ok?

Thank you! I had heard from a few people that you needed 100 or more shadowing so I was a bit worried. So since i only have 8 of those hours shadowing a PCP you think that'll be ok?
It should be, very few schools ask for a minimum amount of time shadowing and the only one that I know of has a 40 hour requirement. It sounds like you've been in a hospital enough to see what a doctor does, and that is what's important.