How important is a bachelors degree when applying to vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiwi210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most schools say they don't require one but in all honesty, does it play a part in your chances of being accepted? I'm in my second year of college and I've mainly been focusing on taking vet school pre-req courses rather than following an academic plan. I have had at least 17 credits each semester and I will have most pre-reqs completed by the end of the first semester of my fourth year. My advisor pointed out to me that I probably won't have a degree finished by the end of my fourth year. Is this a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if all schools have this policy, but at my undergrad, a hold was placed on your registration if you had not declared a major by 90 credits (this was a quarter system university, so that would be by the end of your second year). If your intended major was one that had many prereqs you needed to finish in order to apply for the major, you could apply for an extension to 105 credits, but if you did not have a major declared by then, a hold was placed again. I don't know what would happen if you didn't have a major declared by then, but I know at 90 credits you had to have a satisfactory plan of how to complete major prereqs in order for the extension to be granted. So I don't even know if you would be allowed to take classes aimlessly for four years at many schools.

Honestly, it seems like a waste of four years of tuition to not end up with a degree. Plus, you need to have a backup plan in case vet med doesn't work out.

What about Bio? All my in-states prereqs were required classes for Bio majors. You'd need some other upper level electives for the major in order to complete it obviously, but it seems a lot more worthwhile to actually end up with a degree.

I should have included this in my original post. I technically declared a major... I don't think I will be finished with it by the end of my fourth year HOWEVER (generally speaking) I will have my vet school pre-reqs completed by then which is why I don't want to let an unfinished degree stop me from applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you take 17+ credit hours a semester and not end up with a degree in four years? The prerequisites for vet school should all easily count towards either a biology or animal science degree, so that has me really confused.

As for your main question, if you're taking a heavy courseload (17+ credit hours a semester would qualify as heavy), you do well in all your classes, and you've gone after some of the more challenging electives, then I can't imagine not finishing a degree would hold you back. All the vets I've worked for have told me that they each had several in their classes that got in without a degree. But, like crv2016 said, if you're gonna be cracking away in undergrad for four years, you might as well have something to show for it.

I should have included this in my original post. I technically declared a major... I don't think I will be finished with it by the end of my fourth year HOWEVER (generally speaking) I will have my vet school pre-reqs completed by then which is why I don't want to let an unfinished degree stop me from applying.

Like geldedgoat, I've definitely heard of people getting into vet school with out a degree. A friend has a classmate that applied and was accepted after her second year of under grad. So there is no harm in applying without having finished your degree. I've seen some people here applying during their junior year with out a degree and get accepted, but I wouldn't aim to not finish a degree. So apply once you've finished prereqs, but finish your degree if you're not accepted before you do.

I honestly have no idea why I won't have my degree finished in four years. I just figured if I have the pre-reqs completed...why hold back on applying? If I don't get accepted I will definitely go on to finish my degree.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have the pre-reqs done/in progress this fall (or even 1-2 to finish in the spring) then apply this fall if you want to. There's nothing wrong with doing that. However, just make sure that you look into each school's requirements.

I can't think of any that require a bachelor's degree (but there might be some), but there are schools that have different requirements depending on whether or not you will have a degree by matriculation. Illinois comes to mind, but there may be others. They have a list of Plan A and Plan B pre-reqs, there are extra courses only if you will not have a degree, so look into that before choosing schools to apply to.

I know most schools say they don't require one but in all honesty, does it play a part in your chances of being accepted? I'm in my second year of college and I've mainly been focusing on taking vet school pre-req courses rather than following an academic plan. I have had at least 17 credits each semester and I will have most pre-reqs completed by the end of the first semester of my fourth year. My advisor pointed out to me that I probably won't have a degree finished by the end of my fourth year. Is this a problem?

I am currently an undergraduate junior majoring in Microbiology and I was just accepted to Iowa State University Class of 2019. I had my prerequisites completed during the application cycle, so I applied to Iowa State CVM (my in-state school) for "practice". I knew that I did not want to take a gap year, so if I did not get in on my first try, I would just finish my fourth year of undergraduate coursework. I ended up being accepted, so I will not graduate with a bachelors degree (my friends tease me that I will be a college drop-out :p). I was worried that not having a degree would put me at a disadvantage in my future career choices - like if down the road I chose to specialize or teach at a vet school. I asked as many vets as I could whether it would limit my future options. Every single vet said that it would not be a problem - many said that they thought it was super smart to save a year of undergraduate money. The vet I worked for throughout high school never received his degree, one of ISU's Pre-Vet Club advisers does not have his bachelor's, AND both the veterinarians who interviewed me for ISU CVM's interview process didn't have their bachelor degrees!!!

I was told from ISU admissions, advisers, and veterinarians that not having a degree would not be a problem - and they were correct. You can PM me if you have any other questions about applying early :)

Also, if you are seriously concerned about not having a bachelor's, some vet schools allow you to use first-year vet school classes to finish a degree. Your major would be "veterinary sciences" or something like that. My in-state school is working on the program, so I won't be able to go through with it, but I think Ohio and Minnesota have programs already in place. I am sure other vet schools do too.

I know several classmates in undergrad and even here that got in without a Bachelors (including myself). If you have a strong application, most schools don't look down at you for not having a degree. That being said, definitely look at each school, as there are a few that don't favor juniors applying. For the most part though, most schools I contacted said it wouldn't be a big deal that I was applying a year early without a degree.

There are one or two schools that specifically state they care (or require)... or at least did so in the past.
Best to check with the schools.

I am currently an undergraduate junior majoring in Microbiology and I was just accepted to Iowa State University Class of 2019. I had my prerequisites completed during the application cycle, so I applied to Iowa State CVM (my in-state school) for "practice". I knew that I did not want to take a gap year, so if I did not get in on my first try, I would just finish my fourth year of undergraduate coursework. I ended up being accepted, so I will not graduate with a bachelors degree (my friends tease me that I will be a college drop-out :p). I was worried that not having a degree would put me at a disadvantage in my future career choices - like if down the road I chose to specialize or teach at a vet school. I asked as many vets as I could whether it would limit my future options. Every single vet said that it would not be a problem - many said that they thought it was super smart to save a year of undergraduate money. The vet I worked for throughout high school never received his degree, one of ISU's Pre-Vet Club advisers does not have his bachelor's, AND both the veterinarians who interviewed me for ISU CVM's interview process didn't have their bachelor degrees!!!

I was told from ISU admissions, advisers, and veterinarians that not having a degree would not be a problem - and they were correct. You can PM me if you have any other questions about applying early :)

Similar story here, including being teased as a college drop-out! I love putting "high school" as my highest degree on paperwork when I'm 3/4 through my doctorate, haha! :p I had dual degrees and actually did four years of undergrad, but had planned for five to get both my degrees. Applied to vet school sort of for "practice" as I didn't have a huge amount of experience, and lo and behold I got in. Has never been a problem.

At my school, you can apply to vet school your junior year of college if you have your pre-reqs done, and after your first year of vet school, you can apply and get your bachelors.

Honestly, it seems like a waste of four years of tuition to not end up with a degree. Plus, you need to have a backup plan in case vet med doesn't work out.

Many (most?) vet schools will award a B.S. degree at the end of your first year if you didn't have one coming into school. So you still end up with one. (Note: Check with the vet school of your choice before assuming they do this.)

Obviously that doesn't help if you end up never going to vet school, but ... given the overall cost of tuition, if one is certain they will be heading off to vet school, I think minimizing the amount of undergrad cost/debt makes a LOT of sense.

I think most people on SDN overthink how much schools analyze applications. They have their requirements. They evaluate you within the confines of those requirements. If they don't require a degree, and you show up with all the pre-reqs done and a great GPA, you're going to be on par with someone who shows up with the same thing plus a bachelor's degree.

Reactions: 2 users
I just wanted to add that while most schools do not require a degree, I know that at least Michigan favors students who do have degrees. They are awarded more points on the scoring system. It's not a crazy amount of points, but it's a small boost. Definitely look into your schools. If your application is strong enough, it shouldn't hold you back. I can't say I've come across any other schools that have specifically stated that having a degree is favorable, though!

i believe virginia tech (not Virginia Maryland) used to allow students to back-count 1st year dvm courses towards a BSc in Biological Sciences (depending upon what you had left to complete within the degree). there are likely other universities out there that do the same

i believe virginia tech (not Virginia Maryland) used to allow students to back-count 1st year dvm courses towards a BSc in Biological Sciences (depending upon what you had left to complete within the degree). there are likely other universities out there that do the same
I know Purdue does a similar program, but I don't know if it's just reserved for in-house undergrads or for the general population of accepted first years.

I know I will be bumping an old thread, but does anyone know if Illinois gives B.S. after first year of vet school?

I got in without a B.S. and I am hoping it won't matter but would still like to know if they have such program. I looked at their website but couldn't find info on it,

Purdue will grant a BS as well, as long as you've completed certain pre-reqs.