How important is a good rotation site for step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fancypantsdance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask because I was talking to the rotations director and he said (while rambling about many things) that he was about ready to severe ties with one rotation in particular because 4 out of 4 students that rotated there failed the boards.

To me that didn't make sense because I had assumed that while rotations solidify the material, they're more about actually doing what a doctor does and practicing that rather than board preparation? Isn't board scores reflective of how much you're putting into studying?

How important is selecting a good rotation for your step 2 boards?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It really isn't all that important. What you learn in the hospital does not cross over all that much to the board exam. Some instances learning something in real life can hinder your board performance because the exams tend to be several years behind current guidlines, and the practical aspects of actual patient care can make it harder to think "by the book", which is what is on the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider the possibility that the rotation involves absurd hours above and beyond what is required of most medical students, leaving little to no time for any shelf studying.

Failing Step 2 is pretty difficult. Four (of 4) students failing at a particular site is a statistical anomaly. Unless the lottery somehow selected the four dumbest students to rotate together.

Reactions: 1 users