How important is APA accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isupsych253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When trying to decide which schools to apply to, I wonder just how crucial it is that the school is APA accredited. Some people go to the extreme and say stuff like "You might as well not go to grad school if you're not going to an APA accredited school," but some people say it's not a huge deal. Is it primarily for the internship outcomes or what? Please share your opinion AND experiences!! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The "You might as well not go to grad school if you're not going to an APA accredited school" thought is because if you graduate from a school that isn't accredited, you are immediately limiting your options - both for internship and your later career. Many internship sites only accept students from APA accredited programs and some places won't hire you if your program isn't accredited. Furthermore, some states won't let you practice if you program isn't accredited. Considering the economy, why would you want to limit your options from the get-go?

Its more than just for internships. It rules you out of many kinds of post-docs and many, many jobs. Coming from an APA accredited program is a prereq for pretty much everything in this field. Bottom line is, too many hoops to jump through because of it. There are no actual benefits to attending a non-accredited program, so why do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
When trying to decide which schools to apply to, I wonder just how crucial it is that the school is APA accredited. Some people go to the extreme and say stuff like "You might as well not go to grad school if you're not going to an APA accredited school," but some people say it's not a huge deal. Is it primarily for the internship outcomes or what? Please share your opinion AND experiences!! Thanks!!

The program I attended for my terminal MS has a Ph.D. level (Clinical Psych) adjunct faculty member who teaches two classes and got the degree from Walden U (yes, I am serious: not APA accrd) and has his own business, I believe. So, some are able to make something with it.

There are a plethora of threads on this topic, and I'd conservatively estimate that 95% of the posts do not support attending a non-APA acred. program.

Given the competitiveness in the field, why are you considering a non-APA acred. program? Objectively it does not make any logical sense, as there are 100+ APA acred. programs that will avoid this hurdle.

Why would you want to limit yourself in that way if you have other options?

The program I attended for my terminal MS has a Ph.D. level (Clinical Psych) adjunct faculty member who teaches two classes and got the degree from Walden U (yes, I am serious: not APA accrd) and has his own business, I believe. So, some are able to make something with it.

Is the business related to his education in psychology, though? While being an adjunct is fine (I'm teaching two classes now too), you only need a Masters degree to do this. Also, it certainly doesn't pay a living wage.

Is the business related to his education in psychology, though? While being an adjunct is fine (I'm teaching two classes now too), you only need a Masters degree to do this. Also, it certainly doesn't pay a living wage.

Yes. The person is a licensed Ph.D. level Clinical Psychologist with a Ph.D. from Walden University who runs his/her own private practice and teaches one class per semester (Fall/Spring) on two related topics. I am not reporting this b/c of thinking that it would be something to strive for -it happens though and those clinicians are out there too and I assume it is hard to get a foot on the ground with such a degree; actually, this person was successful in eliminating everything on the web that indicated that s/he got his/her degree from Walden b/c I initially saw that when I goggled but then later on it all was gone. Shame??

Good for them that they've been able to have a successful career, but I wouldn't want to be embarrassed and criticized for the rest of my career based on a decision I made at the beginning of it. Obviously if shed covering it up she's embarrassed.

One of the schools I interviewed at had a professor who had received her degree from Capella, so it happens in academia's tenured positions as well. However, that was a HUGE red flag to me, luckily it was one if my safety schools so it didn't hurt too much.

Good for them that they've been able to have a successful career, but I wouldn't want to be embarrassed and criticized for the rest of my career based on a decision I made at the beginning of it. Obviously if shed covering it up she's embarrassed.

One of the schools I interviewed at had a professor who had received her degree from Capella, so it happens in academia's tenured positions as well. However, that was a HUGE red flag to me, luckily it was one if my safety schools so it didn't hurt too much.

Yes to the red flag! I am totally with you. Just wanted to mention it...and that fact that this teacher apparently covers it up, to some degree, tells me that it is not well respected etc.

BTW, I am in an APA accrecd program and, like most, would never ever have chose a non-APA accrecd program.

I think it must be horrible to find out that the program you are in is on probation and/or in danger of losing accredc before one graduates. Then what?? Misery.

Wow, it is scary how much APA has brainwashed everyone. APA accreditation is about $, not quality. Yes, I know this is not what your professor told you, but do a little research. Yes they accredit good programs, but just as many horrible programs who can pay for the title.

Wow, it is scary how much APA has brainwashed everyone. APA accreditation is about $, not quality. Yes, I know this is not what your professor told you, but do a little research. Yes they accredit good programs, but just as many horrible programs who can pay for the title.

I agree (with the bolded parts). However, I stand by my response that accreditation is important in order to not limit your internship/licensure/career options. I am not a fan of the APA by any means but I made sure to go to an accredited program and will only consider accredited internships. I haven't seen any evidence of brainwashing on this thread...

Reactions: 1 user

Well, I was referring to Walden University, an online Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology and I do not think I have been brainwashed. Just believe that online and Psychology do not sit well together.
I do like the instructor I was referring to, and understand that often minority groups have more hurdles to overcome in order to land in a Ph.D. program, maybe, I also see how this person accomplished his/her dream though Walden University. Still, some bitter taste remains.

Cheers,
Ms. Phipps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree (with the bolded parts). However, I stand by my response that accreditation is important in order to not limit your internship/licensure/career options. I am not a fan of the APA by any means but I made sure to go to an accredited program and will only consider accredited internships. I haven't seen any evidence of brainwashing on this thread...

Completely agree. APA accreditation should be considered the minimum standard that one should accept, thus anything below it should not even be a thought. There are a few profs in my program who are board certified in their sub-specialty, this drew me to their program because it showed that the professors there reach for a higher level.

I do think that it is important to distinguish between programs that have no intention of obtaining APA accreditation and those that are just too new to apply for it/are currently in the process of applying. I would absolutely counsel against anyone going to a program that has no intention of obtaining APA accreditation; however, every school was at one time without APA accreditation. As schools cannot apply until their first class is in internship year, there is the possibility of getting quality training from a non-APA accredited program. This is a risk though, as there is no guarantee that your program will get the APA approval before you graduate, and if they don't, you are screwed. As others have said, graduating from an unaccredited program severely limits your ability to obtain internships and jobs. I am going to be attending a program that has not yet been accredited because it was the best research match for me and I fell in love with the program. But, I am doing so with the assurance that the program will be accredited ASAP (everything is completed excepted for a few administrative issues). If, for any reason, this does not happen by the end of my second year, I will seriously consider leaving the program because I strongly feel that a degree from an institution that is not APA accredited is next to worthless. That's just my opinion though - take from it what you like.

I do think that it is important to distinguish between programs that have no intention of obtaining APA accreditation and those that are just too new to apply for it/are currently in the process of applying. I would absolutely counsel against anyone going to a program that has no intention of obtaining APA accreditation; however, every school was at one time without APA accreditation. As schools cannot apply until their first class is in internship year, there is the possibility of getting quality training from a non-APA accredited program. This is a risk though, as there is no guarantee that your program will get the APA approval before you graduate, and if they don't, you are screwed. As others have said, graduating from an unaccredited program severely limits your ability to obtain internships and jobs. I am going to be attending a program that has not yet been accredited because it was the best research match for me and I fell in love with the program. But, I am doing so with the assurance that the program will be accredited ASAP (everything is completed excepted for a few administrative issues). If, for any reason, this does not happen by the end of my second year, I will seriously consider leaving the program because I strongly feel that a degree from an institution that is not APA accredited is next to worthless. That's just my opinion though - take from it what you like.

That's a great point actually. There is an absolute difference between Notre Dame (who is in the accreditation process currently) and University of Phoenix. I was more talking about the Capellas and Waldens of the world.

I agree, and although you admit to taking somewhat of a risk going to a currently non-accredited program, at least you are not sugar-coating the issue. It seems to me that the APA is starting to take a hard look at many programs (no matter their name or reputation), which to a degree is a good thing since some big-name universities seem to sell their programs on pretty much their name alone. At the same time, we have all discussed the questionable education coming from many of the professional schools. No matter what side of the issue one is on, I think we can all agree that we want to APA to call out the programs that are not educating their students properly, and give due credit to the "less well known" schools that have been doing a good job.

Why would you want to limit yourself in that way if you have other options?

Well as of right now, I don't have any options because I haven't even applied yet. I am asking the question because I am just trying to decide if it's even worth applying to non-APA schools, but it seems like it's not a good idea according everyone on here. So I got the answer I'm looking for! I'd really appreciate it if you guys went to the WAMC thread and checked out my stats and let me know what you think. (My posts are on the last page I beleive)

Hi all -

Let me know if there is a better thread for this. I am an American considering PHD programs overseas (as well as stateside) due to my research interests. Is it possible to become licensed as a clinical psychologist in the US if I obtain a PHD ouside of APA "jurisdiction"? ie, a non-APA accreditated foreign program? Is there any reciprocity?

Thanks!

APA only accredits clinical, counseling, school and whatever other programs. So if you're interested in another type of program like, say, developmental, social, etc. APA accreditation is not applicable. I think that, generally, another type of program has the potential to limit opportunities because the area studied is more specialized, but it doesn't necessarily mean that if you go to a non-APA accredited program you can't get licensed and get a job. My advice is to apply to some clinical programs and some non-clinical programs that still allow you the opportunity to get licensed.

It is one thing to say that as things stand presently to pursue a PhD/PsyD that is not APA accredited is possibly detrimental to ones career, and another entirely to say that APA should be the minimim standard or even the gold standard of quality. Accreditation of higher education in the USA is managed regionally (AKA, regional accreditation). There are many flaws with this system, but it is essentially a quality control process. APA created their own system to A) make $, and B) provide a way for programs to appear to have a higher quality training and stand apart from others...all of whom are equally regionally accredited. What usually happens when the metaphorical fox guards the henhouse, APA gilded the lillies of programs who gave them a lot of $, by beginning to allow programs to require APA accreditation for entry. Licensing laws rarely address APA accreditation, but always addresses regional accreditation as a minimum requirement.

It is one thing to say that as things stand presently to pursue a PhD/PsyD that is not APA accredited is possibly detrimental to ones career, and another entirely to say that APA should be the minimim standard or even the gold standard of quality. Accreditation of higher education in the USA is managed regionally (AKA, regional accreditation). There are many flaws with this system, but it is essentially a quality control process. APA created their own system to A) make $, and B) provide a way for programs to appear to have a higher quality training and stand apart from others...all of whom are equally regionally accredited. What usually happens when the metaphorical fox guards the henhouse, APA gilded the lillies of programs who gave them a lot of $, by beginning to allow programs to require APA accreditation for entry. Licensing laws rarely address APA accreditation, but always addresses regional accreditation as a minimum requirement.

Perhaps APA accreditation for licensing was not important 10-20 years ago, but some states are now requiring all applicants to have graduated from an APA accredited program. I do agree that the APA does some shady things to either keep certain programs accredited or to yank it away, but since jobs are becoming difficult to obtain (generally), coming from an APA accredited program simply gives one an edge at face-value. Its not a perfect system by any stretch (I cannot stress this enough), but as I've said before its a step towards keeping programs (most especially the big-name universities) somewhat in line with the educational expectations of future psychologists.

APA only accredits clinical, counseling, school and whatever other programs. So if you're interested in another type of program like, say, developmental, social, etc. APA accreditation is not applicable. I think that, generally, another type of program has the potential to limit opportunities because the area studied is more specialized, but it doesn't necessarily mean that if you go to a non-APA accredited program you can't get licensed and get a job. My advice is to apply to some clinical programs and some non-clinical programs that still allow you the opportunity to get licensed.

I agree that the accreditation alone does not make the program. However, I've also noted that for most internships and post-doc fellowships, the requirements almost always read "graduation from an APA-accredited program". What's the alternative?

On what basis would you have to apply for licensure if you attended and non-clinical/counseling program?

Isn't regional accreditation for the school as a whole though, rather then for specific programs at the school? I didn't think it was intended to signify anything other then that the school is a real school and not just a diploma mill. Certainly even schools like Walden are accredited.

Isn't regional accreditation for the school as a whole though, rather then for specific programs at the school? I didn't think it was intended to signify anything other then that the school is a real school and not just a diploma mill. Certainly even schools like Walden are accredited.

I believe you're correct, yes. Regional accreditation, from what I know, is generally for the school as a whole to essentially certify its status as a viable educational institution. Thus, such accreditation couldn't (and shouldn't) be expected to specifically look at each individual program in great detail.

The APA's accreditation standards aren't perfect, but they're currently the best available, and definitely should represent a minimum standard for all doctoral-level training programs.

I do think that APA accreditation should be the minimum standard, especially because certain states require it now for licensure. Like it or not, APA accreditation is what we have right now. I know that PCSAS is trying to make a more rigorous standard of accrediting and maybe down the line they will be the gold standard or minimum, but as of right now it's APA. Because APA is the main body that currently accredits they are able to make sure that the minimum standards of training for practice in clinical, counseling or school psychology are met and held. If you don't attend an APA accredited program there is really no way to know what you are being taught. In any profession you should strive to be your best, you wouldn't want a below average surgeon or dentist, and psychology is no different. Being your best not only means meeting the minimum standards, but passing them, which would include at least attending an APA accredited program. Honestly, if you can't even reach that bar, maybe you souldn't be in the profession.

**Side note** My feelings on this apply to programs with no intention of striving for APA accreditation, not newer programs that are going through the process. I know all programs were once not APA accredited.

You have completely missed my point. Some of the worst programs around are APA accredited. APA accreditation is not about quality, but the appearance of prestige. Take Alliant in SF. APA accredited, horrible match rates, horrible EPPP pass rates, but they have a few big names on their faculty who rarely teach to make them look top notch (Morgan Sammons, John Preston). A school in Ca. nobody has ever heard of called Ryokan, has had very high EPPP pass rates and has a solid program, but without big names and $ it will never get APA accreditation.

What other doctoral-level professions require a degree from a program which has accreditation through its primary membership society?

There is a downward push on acred. status because it is more economically advantageous for some. APA-acred. for a number of decades has been the standard for both programs AND internship sites. Just in the last decade or two there has been a concerted effort to change the perception of APA-acred. status from "the bare minimum training needed" to "the gold standard"...which allows for "lesser but still sufficient" acred. levels to pop up. APA-acred. status for programs is still the standard for the vast majority of jobs and state licensure requirements, but some people have been challenging this. There has been even more pressure to change the view of APA-acred. for internships, trying to make a "different but equal" argument. Sadly, APA-acred. status is NOT hard to attain, as many subpar programs are in good standing, though for practical purposes, it is needed.

The bottom line is that APA-acred. programs are the standard, and anything less than that is asking for trouble. Some people do it, but many people regret it. For purely experimental (not clinical) psychology, licensure is not a consideration, but for anyone remotely connected to a discipline that may require licensure, it would behoove them to be elligible.

I have never been licensed in a state where an APA accredited doctorate or internship was required? Where is this the case?

So some non-clinical programs (e.g., programs with "Applied" in the name, Social Psyc or w/e) are primarily research-oriented, but some practicums and applied experiences are also required, and some students go on to get licensed. I don't disagree that opportunities are limited due to lack of APA accred and a more specialized field of study, just saying these programs do exist and do produce licensed psychologists.

On what basis would you have to apply for licensure if you attended and non-clinical/counseling program?

You have completely missed my point. Some of the worst programs around are APA accredited. APA accreditation is not about quality, but the appearance of prestige. Take Alliant in SF. APA accredited, horrible match rates, horrible EPPP pass rates, but they have a few big names on their faculty who rarely teach to make them look top notch (Morgan Sammons, John Preston). A school in Ca. nobody has ever heard of called Ryokan, has had very high EPPP pass rates and has a solid program, but without big names and $ it will never get APA accreditation.

What other doctoral-level professions require a degree from a program which has accreditation through its primary membership society?

I agree that there are programs that are APA accredited that are horrible programs and it is frustrating to me that a degree from one of those schools could be seen as the same as mine. Unfortunately, as long as a program is meeting the minimum standard they are warranted to be accredited, even if alot of people in the psych. community don't like them. I also know that the APA is getting alot of backlash for those types of programs (mainly FSPSs) being accredited and there is still alot of bias agaisnt those degrees when it comes to internships and hiring. that being said, if you're willing to attend one of those programs then that's you're decision, same as it would be for someone who wants to attend a non-APA accredited program. None of that takes away from the fact that APA standards should be and are by many considered a sign that someone has received the minimum standard of training necessary to be proficient in the field, it really is up to the student and the internship/employer after that to make sure that they are proficient. I'm sure there are people that come from university based programs who don't have the skills to be a competent clinician/academician and ones that come from FSPSs that do.

As far as Ryokan goes, you've got to be kidding me. They should have the money for APA accreditation because they charge as much as other FSPSs. The reason they probably don't have accreditation is because the program can be completed online and from their handbook does not look like a solid program. I also don't know what you would consider high EPP rates, but according to the CA psych board last year their pass rate was 26% (http://psychboard.ca.gov/exams/201001-201012eppp.pdf). I don't know how you could say that program is any better than any other FSPS.

I have never been licensed in a state where an APA accredited doctorate or internship was required? Where is this the case?

Off the top of my head I know Florida, Virginia and North Carolina require it.

So some non-clinical programs (e.g., programs with "Applied" in the name, Social Psyc or w/e) are primarily research-oriented, but some practicums and applied experiences are also required, and some students go on to get licensed. I don't disagree that opportunities are limited due to lack of APA accred and a more specialized field of study, just saying these programs do exist and do produce licensed psychologists.

Do you have an example of a particular program? I've honestly never heard of this and would be interested in looking at the website, etc.

I have no 1st hand knowledge of Ryorkan but they used to boast pass rates of 70-90% for 1st time takers. Looks like it has changed alot.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, I am not sure EPPP pass rate is a solid measure of program quality. It certainly has a correlation. I will reveal my bias. As an employer of psychologists and part owner of a P.C., my goal is to find psychologists who are good at what they do. My top person is from a FSPS w/o APA accreditation, but a great post-doc. I have had 6-7 post-docs from APA programs, and 2 were pretty solid. I have also had several post-docs from non-APA programs who were all sub-par. Of course this is anecdotal, but I am running a business not a research facility and this pattern has been consistent over the years. Good people who are hard workers tend to make solid psychologists regardless of their doctoral program, whereas people from top programs tend to be entitled, overconfident, ineffecient and usually can't compete in this environment.

I'd agree that attending a top university program is not a requirement to be a top clinician, though I think the makeup of students who get into those programs are predisposed to have many of the attributes that also make a quality clinician.

I'm not one of the special people who came from a top program, and I don't think of myself as a particularly awesome psychologist (far from), though my concern is with the student who otherwise wouldn't have been accepted into a doctoral program for one or more reasons. Programs without APA-acred. almost exclusively fall into the "not a top program" catagory, and often cater to these students. There are exceptions, but again I ask...there are 100+ universities that are APA-acred, why risk it?

...My top person is from a FSPS w/o APA accreditation, but a great post-doc. I have had 6-7 post-docs from APA programs, and 2 were pretty solid. I have also had several post-docs from non-APA programs who were all sub-par. Of course this is anecdotal, but I am running a business not a research facility and this pattern has been consistent over the years. Good people who are hard workers tend to make solid psychologists regardless of their doctoral program, whereas people from top programs tend to be entitled, overconfident, ineffecient and usually can't compete in this environment.

I'm not sure I understand what the pattern is... Though I may just need more caffeine.

You have one non-APA (Does FSPS mean for-profit Psy.D?) post-doc who is your best one... But you've also had other post-docs from Non-APA programs and they were all subpar (with the exception of your top person?)...

But 2/7 of your APA post-docs were good? And this is a consistent pattern? What am I misunderstanding?

It was an example of my experience with people from both types of programs over the past 2 years here in WY. If you ran the numbers getting there was no real advantage to getting someone from an APA program and this is the same pattern I have seen in other places and jobs (didn't site that info).

It was an example of my experience with people from both types of programs over the past 2 years here in WY. If you ran the numbers getting there was no real advantage to getting someone from an APA program and this is the same pattern I have seen in other places and jobs (didn't site that info).

I could actually believe that for some professional schools the odds are so stacked against you ever getting licensed that anyone who actually does is really pretty impressive. If you take a school like Walden, the attrition rate is huge and most people will never even make it to their field experience. When they do they get virtually no support and guidance and the number who actually manage to fufill the requirements for licensing is even smaller. And out of that very small group, about 80% of them will fail their EPP. So yeah if someone makes it through all that and comes out a licensed psychologist, that's pretty impressive.

So you could potentially argue that hiring someone like that could be a pretty good deal for an employer. From the perspective of a student though, paying all that money for such a low chance of success is a pretty poor deal.

I'm not sure I understand what the pattern is... Though I may just need more caffeine.

You have one non-APA (Does FSPS mean for-profit Psy.D?) post-doc who is your best one... But you've also had other post-docs from Non-APA programs and they were all subpar (with the exception of your top person?)...

But 2/7 of your APA post-docs were good? And this is a consistent pattern? What am I misunderstanding?

FSPS=Free-standing professional school... most are PsyD programs, but some do offer PhDs.

I could actually believe that for some professional schools the odds are so stacked against you ever getting licensed that anyone who actually does is really pretty impressive. If you take a school like Walden, the attrition rate is huge and most people will never even make it to their field experience. When they do they get virtually no support and guidance and the number who actually manage to fufill the requirements for licensing is even smaller. And out of that very small group, about 80% of them will fail their EPP. So yeah if someone makes it through all that and comes out a licensed psychologist, that's pretty impressive.

So you could potentially argue that hiring someone like that could be a pretty good deal for an employer. From the perspective of a student though, paying all that money for such a low chance of success is a pretty poor deal.

Good point!

False: North Carolina does not require APA accreditation for licensure.

According to the ASPPB's jurisdictional handbook they do require that you come from an APA accredited program, not that you have an APA accredited internship, is that what you meant? Or do you have some other info? Just wondering bc NC is one place I'm thinking of living when I finish my PhD and I would like to have all the info possible...

Busybusybusy, I see how you could think that but this is actually what NC's jurisdictional handbook says: The applicant's doctoral program must be accredited by APA or CPA at the time of the applicant's graduation from the program or one which meets all the requirements in 21 NCAC 54 .1803. Link to 21 NCAC 54.1803:http://ncrules.state.nc.us/ncac/tit...chapter 54 - psychology/21 ncac 54 .1803.html. Hope this helps!

Also, aren't you starting an APA-accred program in the fall? If so, you don't need to worry about this because you'll most certainly be eligible for licensure, anywhere :).

According to the ASPPB's jurisdictional handbook they do require that you come from an APA accredited program, not that you have an APA accredited internship, is that what you meant? Or do you have some other info? Just wondering bc NC is one place I'm thinking of living when I finish my PhD and I would like to have all the info possible...