How important is it to have study schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daftypatty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see everyone using an adapted version of a previous made schedule, but how important are these schedules really? I feel like I'm bound to fall behind and change up my study routine once in awhile anyways, so I didn't really bother with a schedule.

Is it okay just to rotate between subjects each day without having a "concrete" schedule laid out for every single day of the month? I feel like the only real benefit to the schedule is that it makes you want to complete the schedule chapter for that day & help you keep track so that you finish your content review on time.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah in retrospect I don't think my schedule was that useful, I really didn't stick to it at all after the first month. As long as you know how long you have to study and what study materials you want to get through before you take the real thing, you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I would always recommend making a schedule so that you know what you need to get done each day and don't fall behind. If you feel that that's not going to be useful for you then at the least set weekly or biweekly goals for how much material you want/need to get through within each time interval so that you have something keeping you on track.

Schedule is like an outline of what you should be doing and to keep you on track. It lays out everything visually helps avoid procrastination because there is always something to do. However, life happens and if you fall behind don't get discouraged since schedules can be easily changed to FIT YOU. No one schedule is perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know how much I need to get done every day in order to finish content review on time and begin taking FLs, but beyond that I like to adapt and change my strategy as I go.

Last edited:
Generally, when should you be taking your FLs? Should I take one of the FLs right now just to see the types of questions asked on the mcat? I'm hesitating b/c this might be a waste of FL

I spent two days putting a detailed, daily schedule together and never looked at it again after a week or so. This discussion happened as I was making the schedule over spring break:

Mom: "What are you doing? Shouldn't you be studying for your MCAT?" *disapproving look*
Me: "I'm making a study schedule. I have to have a schedule so I know what I need to study each day!"
Mom: "It sounds like you are procrastinating studying by sitting around and thinking about studying."

I swear sometimes she knows me better than I know myself...

Reactions: 5 users
Generally, when should you be taking your FLs? Should I take one of the FLs right now just to see the types of questions asked on the mcat? I'm hesitating b/c this might be a waste of FL

Take a demo FL of either Kaplan/TPR or even the Next Step diagnostic. It gave me an idea what to expect. My exam is in 2 months, I took a FL yesterday and had an "off" day and did poorly. It's better to see where you stand months before in my opinion then rushing to take practice tests in the last 3-4 weeks before your test date.

There are differences in opinions. SN2ed felt like diagnostics were a waste.

There are differences in opinions. SN2ed felt like diagnostics were a waste.

I was only thinking of taking the AAMC FL right now just b/c it is a new mcat, and I wanted to see the most representative exam that I would be aiming for before studying for 3 months and realizing I studied in a less effective/efficient method. Is this not recommended?

I was only thinking of taking the AAMC FL right now just b/c it is a new mcat, and I wanted to see the most representative exam that I would be aiming for before studying for 3 months and realizing I studied in a less effective/efficient method. Is this not recommended?

This would be a great resource to save towards the end, as it is the only AAMC test that will tell you whether you are ready for the real thing. You can go through the official guide questions if you want to get the feel for the new MCAT.

This would be a great resource to save towards the end, as it is the only AAMC test that will tell you whether you are ready for the real thing. You can go through the official guide questions if you want to get the feel for the new MCAT.
Okay this is something I was really confused about as well: what exactly is the difference b/w the questions in the AAMC official guide & the AAMC question packs for individual subjects?

The question packs for each subject had a lot more questions, so do these INCLUDE all the questions in the AAMC official guide? Or are these 2 completely different sets of questions... If so, which one is more cost efficient?

Thanks a lot for the help btw

Okay this is something I was really confused about as well: what exactly is the difference b/w the questions in the AAMC official guide & the AAMC question packs for individual subjects?

The question packs for each subject had a lot more questions, so do these INCLUDE all the questions in the AAMC official guide? Or are these 2 completely different sets of questions... If so, which one is more cost efficient?

Thanks a lot for the help btw

The question packs are all recycled from the old exam.