How important is it to join professional organizations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazypsychstudent

Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to join professional organizations? I'm asking obviously because they're expensive. I'm psychoanalytically-oriented and my advisor told me to join like six different ones. Would it affect getting an APA internship, or hurt me in any other way, if I do not join any? If so, which are the "important" ones to join? Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think joining those is worth much, to be honest.
Now joining those, attending their national meetings, and networking? That's worth a TON IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I join the APAGS? (they talked about it at our orientation)

Save your money. Go to the conferences, and network. Join the listserv to read up on current thought, but participate with extreme caution.

A lot of professors forget how much money $100 is to students.

As a student…minimally useful.

You can join a student psych group I guess…..which many are free (or low cost). I know many/most APA divisions have low/no cost student memberships. I don't believe the APA is worth joining as a student, though joining an APA division is worth considering.

How important is it to join professional organizations? I'm asking obviously because they're expensive. I'm psychoanalytically-oriented and my advisor told me to join like six different ones. Would it affect getting an APA internship, or hurt me in any other way, if I do not join any? If so, which are the "important" ones to join? Thank you :)

I suppose it could look a bit odd if you didn't belong to ANY professional organizations, though maybe that depends on your field. Otherwise, memberships are only really valuable to the extent that you can meaningfully participate in the organization and get something from that participation that is useful to your career development. Some organizations are more inclusive of trainees than others, and you may want to consider that in your decision-making. Six memberships seems like overkill, though. I second others' comments about attending conferences and networking as more important. If membership makes it more cost effective to do those things, then by all means, sign up.