How important is pharmacy school reputation for retail jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmOverload

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe that pharmacy school connection is way more important than reputation. Longer-established pharmacy school tend to have more unique connection with retail companies. As someone pointed out in another thread (refer to the school ranking thread, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=881902), some employers prefer hiring employee from specific school.

Also, consider where you want to be when you graduate. Are you set on living in Portland (or vicinity) or are you ok with moving? If you know where you want to be when you graduate, you should consider going to a school in that area (more networking opportunities with local employers). If you don't really care, then just go wherever you feel like you'll thrive the best :)

Get a part-time job working for a local pharmacy chain, first as a tech and then one day as an intern. I live on the East Coast, so maybe things are different here, but I've never seen a graduating intern who is a good worker and has a good history with our company NOT get some kind of job offer if he/she wanted one. Plus, it will make you more competent overall so that when you do community rotations for other chains, they will like you and might offer you a job. I know two people who got jobs that way.