How important is research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siba

siba
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has absolutely no experience in research got in? I wonder how important it is to them? What if I do a research in the field of psychology?

Members don't see this ad.

not required by the school at all. but anyone with experience will have an advantage over you when matriculating

I think psychology research would actually be quite helpful. Dentistry is a social profession, and a significant part of the success of your treatment plans will be based on your patients understanding/willingness/acceptance/trust. If you can put your psychology training to good use (or better yet, Jedi mind tricks), then you'll have an advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think psychology research would actually be quite helpful. Dentistry is a social profession, and a significant part of the success of your treatment plans will be based on your patients understanding/willingness/acceptance/trust. If you can put your psychology training to good use (or better yet, Jedi mind tricks), then you'll have an advantage.

I wish my college had offered a course in Jedi mind tricks ...

I think research is important but can suck really hard core, meaning their is alot of work involved. Their is alot of dissapointment knowing days and weeks of your work were fruitless. I think research can be charachter building. It can be fun though, I am working on a project right now with people and a professor I mesh well with, I can turn up my music and am not micro managed. Definately find out if you can work with someone before comminting time energy.

not required by the school at all. but anyone with experience will have an advantage over you when matriculating

nice :D wait...does it have to be related to dentistry?

I had no research experience at all and was accepted to 4 dental schools on December 1st. It's not required, although there are some schools who probably emphasize it more than others, so having any sort of research experience will definitely help.