How important is the Physics lab in the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueaqua

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been told the lab components of organic chemistry and general chem have been really helpful in the new MCAT (albeit, there's less focus on it) but how important is the physics lab? Based on your experience with the new mcat, would I be shooting myself on the foot if I skip both of the lab components?

I only want to do this for the purpose of scheduling and completing certain material before taking the MCAT. They have an option where I can take the labs separately later on to fulfill the medical school requirements.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It really all depends on how you learn. If you learn really well by doing experiments and if those experiments help you visualize concepts clearly and remember them, then of course you would be shooting yourself in the foot for not taking physics lab. But if you can understand and remember concepts without lab, then lab is kind of pointless. Everybody learns differently and you will get different answers so the best way to find out if you need physics lab is to understand how you learn best.

Physics labs are not directly tested on the MCAT.

Do you have full a printout of everything covered on the MCAT? It lists areas where the labs are important (southern blotting is specifically called out, PCR is specifically called out, etc)