How important is the quality/name of post bacc programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w1116

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:

BS Electrical Engineer, 3.4 GPA, been out of school for 3 years now working as an engineer and looking to get into an MD school and become a psychiatrist.

I absolutely need to go back to school to take some pre-reqs. Having said that, the cheapest & most convenient option is to take said courses at the state school where I did my undergrad and where I live (University of Delaware). Unfortunately, the post bacc program is relatively new and as such they are still getting things together. Regardless, I'd be able to take all of my prereqs relatively cheap as opposed to going to a well know post bacc program that costs a lot more (local options include UPenn, Bryn Mawr, Temple..assuming I could get into them)

So, does the name and quality of a post bacc school really matter? Forgive me for being naive but I'm not too familiar with post bacc programs in general. I understand that in any case it's on me get the good grades, do well on the MCAT, get the clinical experience, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you can map out a strategy and timeline - planning courseloads, MCAT prep and timing, arranging for strong letters of rec, clinical volunteering/shadowing - I vote for doing it at your home institution. The value of brand-name postbaccs is largely in their linkage to medical schools. However, with your current GPA and a number of science courses yet to be taken, I would think you'll end up fine. Just come up with a solid game plan. If easing the financial burden will give you some peace of mind and help you perform better, go that route.

Unimportant, but if they're given at a medical school, all the better for you because it's the back door into that school.

Background:

BS Electrical Engineer, 3.4 GPA, been out of school for 3 years now working as an engineer and looking to get into an MD school and become a psychiatrist.

I absolutely need to go back to school to take some pre-reqs. Having said that, the cheapest & most convenient option is to take said courses at the state school where I did my undergrad and where I live (University of Delaware). Unfortunately, the post bacc program is relatively new and as such they are still getting things together. Regardless, I'd be able to take all of my prereqs relatively cheap as opposed to going to a well know post bacc program that costs a lot more (local options include UPenn, Bryn Mawr, Temple..assuming I could get into them)

So, does the name and quality of a post bacc school really matter? Forgive me for being naive but I'm not too familiar with post bacc programs in general. I understand that in any case it's on me get the good grades, do well on the MCAT, get the clinical experience, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a DIY post-bacc at a local (but still highly regarded) institution. No formal linkages or anything. It absolutely has not hurt me. Most of my interviewers hardly knew the difference between my program and the "top programs" and were actually impressed when I told them I did the whole thing myself without much hand-holding from a strict program.

Reactions: 1 user
Take classes at your local universities. Goucher and Bryn Mawr have reputable post bac programs with strong linkages but only a small fraction of their students link and an even smaller number link to an institution that may be worth the cost. However, those applicants typically have very high GPAs before being admitted to the program. Your best bet is to take classes in a place you can do well and where you can save money.
Background:

Thanks

The answer to your question is none. Go with the cheapest route.