How important is volunteering abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eafutureeyedoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to enter my senior year of undergrad and will be applying for optometry schools soon. I go to a highly ranked school but my GPA is less than stellar, especially my science GPA (around 3.0). I have been working as a tech at my optometrist's office for two years and am president of my school's pre-optometry club. I haven't taken the OAT yet. I am signed up to go on a weeklong optometry volunteer trip to Africa this august because I thought it would be a good resume booster, give me a lot to talk about in interviews, and really show my passion for eye care. However, I haven't reached my fundraising goal and am short on funds (and also have some health and safety concerns) and thinking of forgoing the trip...what do y'all think, should I break the bank and go for the trip? How important would a trip like this be for getting in? Do most applicants go on an overseas trip like this? Keep in mind, this is another week I could spend studying for the OAT...

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly would look good on an application, but I would be willing to bet most applicants do not have overseas volunteer experience. Your work experience alone will set you apart from many applicants.

I am about to enter my senior year of undergrad and will be applying for optometry schools soon. I go to a highly ranked school but my GPA is less than stellar, especially my science GPA (around 3.0). I have been working as a tech at my optometrist's office for two years and am president of my school's pre-optometry club. I haven't taken the OAT yet. I am signed up to go on a weeklong optometry volunteer trip to Africa this august because I thought it would be a good resume booster, give me a lot to talk about in interviews, and really show my passion for eye care. However, I haven't reached my fundraising goal and am short on funds (and also have some health and safety concerns) and thinking of forgoing the trip...what do y'all think, should I break the bank and go for the trip? How important would a trip like this be for getting in? Do most applicants go on an overseas trip like this? Keep in mind, this is another week I could spend studying for the OAT...

That's a tough call. Since the only quantitative measure you've given us (your gpa) is borderline, every little bit helps. However, you might be able to do a mission trip that's not as expensive in Mexico or South America.
Most (closer to all) applicants will not have this experience prior to entering school.

It'll be a great experience, but I personally wouldn't use all my life savings just to go on the trip

**Assuming you are American and not Canadian**

Do not forget that before the interview stage, the students are usually sorted by GPA/OAT scores and then they take your experience into account. I would highly recommend studying for the OAT as I believe that will also "break" your bank if it does not go well the first time.

Personally, I would take the time and dedication to ace the OAT and then apply. If it does not work out and assuming you finished undergrad, then you can find a full-time job that is science related to boost your experience as well as your bank and then use that money to go on the trip. Win win?