How impressive is it for an applicant to run a non-profit org before getting into medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themathbook

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On a scale of 1-5, 5 being most impressive, how impressive is it really for someone to run a non-profit organization (Co-President or Executive Director)that provides important service for a targeted population during the gap year(with genuine passion and enjoyment).

It's a small, local non-profit of 15 years. Population served: about 75~100 people

Working in this non-profit allows that person to learn a ton of problem solving skills, business management skills, entrepreneur skills, team work....etc. The experience also demonstrates the person's leadership skills, passion. conviction to bring societal change.

However, this experience will be consume all my time if I'm not careful, especially because of the financial problem in the organization. I didn't do well on my MCAT last year, so this year, I want to make sure I save enough time to study. I would like to know how impressive really is it to be able to run a non-profit org after college graduation, in terms of medical school application.

If it's just mediocore impressive, then I really need to manage my time wisely. I mean I need to learn to manage my time wisely anyways, but then your answer will really tell me how exactly I will budget my time.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

The impressiveness is directly proportional to how much emphatic bolding is used in the description. As long as you bold what it demonstrates it's a 6/5

If it's just mediocore impressive, then I really need to manage my time wisely. I mean I need to learn to manage my time wisely anyways, but then your answer will really tell me how exactly I will budget my time.
This is just so extremely vague. You should describe the opportunity in more detail and people can tell you how special it is as a gap year opportunity. As long as you keep up volunteering/shadowing/whatever else, you can do all sorts of gap year jobs and be competitive.

Reactions: 16 users
Do whatever you have to do to get a strong application together, but do what you enjoy. I would give it a 4.68 on the impressive scale (assuming it is time consuming)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to manage your time wisely anyhow. If you didn't do well on the MCAT no amount of volunteering at this non profit will help you. Schools look at an application in total . Everything is important starting with your stats. It's sounds like you are involved in this non profit already and that's good. Just don't add responsibilities because it will look good on your application though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is one of the more impressive ECs, in my book.

On a scale of 1-5, 5 being most impressive, how impressive is it really for someone to run a non-profit organization (Co-President or Executive Director)that provides important service for a targeted population during the gap year(with genuine passion and enjoyment).

It's a small, local non-profit of 15 years. Population served: about 75~100 people

Working in this non-profit allows that person to learn a ton of problem solving skills, business management skills, entrepreneur skills, team work....etc. The experience also demonstrates the person's leadership skills, passion. conviction to bring societal change.

However, this experience will be consume all my time if I'm not careful, especially because of the financial problem in the organization. I didn't do well on my MCAT last year, so this year, I want to make sure I save enough time to study. I would like to know how impressive really is it to be able to run a non-profit org after college graduation, in terms of medical school application.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
If most people were to say it's a 1 on your impressiveness scale would "that person" stop doing it?

Reactions: 1 users
Clearly if this is small and serving a small number of people, what you are describing is not a paying job and is unlikely to be a full-time job unless the facility is something like a homeless shelter and the budget is over a million dollars in cash and in-kind donations.

I'm president of a small local charity. We have a cash budget of about 30,000/yr (no paid employees) and 95% goes to direct service. We also receive in-kind contributions (food, clothing, etc) We have a database of about 100 families that we have helped in the past and who we are in contact with several times per year. We have about 6-8 that are active at any given time. At best this takes 30 hours per month.

Don't be surprised if any given adcom knows more about running a non-profit than you might expect.

Your MCAT is far more important than being a volunteer but it should be possible to do both, particularly if you have the luxury of being supported such that you don't need to be employed full-time.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry, but the way you wrote this post makes me want to slap you.

I'm sure you're a cool person. But I'm triggered.

Why can't you just refer to yourself???

Now I know how adcoms feel.

Also I apologize in advance if English is not your first language.

English isn't my first language, but wow, that's depressing if it's that obvious. From which sentences did you figure that out?

English isn't my first language, but wow, that's depressing if it's that obvious. From which sentences did you figure that out?

That makes sense. Don't worry about it. Your writing style is pretty understandable then. I've read a lot of international students writing is all.