How is everyday life as a Psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tgaigetyler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a Psychiatrist. I am starting school in the fall. I will be majoring in Biology but I will also take a lot of psychology classes.

I know that it takes 12 years to become a Psychiatrist. I want to know:
What are the positive and negative things about being a Psychiatrist. Does anyone on here work for at a hospital (such as Grady)? Is this a good field to go into for someone that likes to be on their feet and in the action?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding on your feet and in the action, it depends. Most psychiatry is done outpatient, which entails a lot of sitting (I guess you could stand, or walk, or whatever, but that's atypical), and there is much less 'in the action' type stuff happening. Inpatient has a lot more walking around, and the acuity is higher, especially if you're consulting the ED. My experience is that psych had less walking than medicine because our rounds are all on one unit. The medicine rounds were usually covering various floors in the hospital (gen med, telemetry, etc), plus we would walk to radiology to talk about imaging, etc.

Also, it's way too early for you to be thinking about this stuff.