How is gchem/ochem lab supposed to be set up?

• Thread starter LoveBeingHuman:)
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

I'm assuming all schools have a full year of gchem lecture and ochem lecture. But how many semesters of gchem and ochem lab should there be? Cause I heard some schools have two semesters of lab for each...

Members don't see this ad.

At my school: Gen Chem 1 and 2 were each 1 semester long and were a combined lecture with lab format, while OChem 1 and 2 were semester long lecture courses and OChem lab was its own separate semester long course. I think this is a pretty common format.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the impression that a lab accompanied each lecture, i.e. 4 labs -- 2 of gchem and 2 of ochem. The only exception to this I've encountered is a single lab course encompassing the material from 2 semesters of ochem.

If you're concerned about what lab courses you need to take for med school, the 2 labs for gchem and 1 lab for the first semester of ochem seems to be the standard, with some requiring the second semester of ochem. Best to check the med schools you plan to apply to.

At my school: Gen Chem 1 and 2 were each 1 semester long and were a combined lecture with lab format, while OChem 1 and 2 were semester long lecture courses and OChem lab was its own separate semester long course. I think this is a pretty common format.
This format for me. For certain majors you needed both ochem labs, for others you did not.