How is MSAR data calculated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curioso06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how the MSAR data for GPAs, MCAT scores, and application #'s are calculated. Specifically, for GPAs, are these always the undergraduate GPAs calculated and reported from the AMCAS application? Or do some schools use their own calculations?

Likewise for the MCAT, how are multiple MCAT scores for a single applicant calculated when reported for a school via MSAR? Are only the most recent score reported?

Also, I'm assuming for the # of interviewed MSAR statistics, these only include the number of completed interviews (i.e., does not take into account interview invites declined by the applicant). On that note, generally what proportion of II's are declined by applicants?

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine they get all their data from AMCAS, as for your more specific questions I have no idea. AAMC recommends you average MCAT scores, so perhaps that's what they do. I think the amount of interviews offered means amount of interviews offered, regardless of whether they are accepted or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I would imagine they get all their data from AMCAS, as for your more specific questions I have no idea. AAMC recommends you average MCAT scores, so perhaps that's what they do. I think the amount of interviews offered means amount of interviews offered, regardless of whether they are accepted or not.

Just to clarify, on MSAR this statistic is labeled "Interviewed" and it sounds like it's the number who actually accept the interview invitation and attend, but I'm not totally sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if anyone was familiar with how multiple MCAT scores are taken into account in the MSAR?

Presumably, the last recorded score is also what's used in the US News rankings? The methodology doesn't specify
US Snooze does not use data obtained from an independent source. Schools can report anything they want.

Last edited by a moderator: