How is my GPA so far as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missy9881

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDN'ers.

I just received my final grades for my second semester at Brown. I can definitely say that freshman year was a rough transition (I wasn't used to taking such difficult classes alongside such a bright student body).

My GPA for my freshman year is a 3.3. My science GPA is a 3.25. Is that ok? I have been getting better at studying and retaining information. My grades second semester were better than first.

Has anybody else here started with a GPA like this? Were you able to raise it?

Thanks everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

First year difficulties are quite common. Work hard next year and raise your cGPA and sGPA and you shouldn't have too many problems come application time. Also utilize your school's resources (tutoring center, office hrs, upperclassmen, friends, etc).

You had a rough start, if you can improve from here you will be in good shape by the time you apply. But the key is you have to improve, the work only get harder. Make sure you've addresses the deficiencies that made it hard for you to adjust to a college class load.
If you still need help don't be afraid to seek help from your university, most have resources to help you learn good study techniques.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luckily, you're just two semesters in and you're GPA isn't THAT bad. It's not on par with what medical schools would acceptable but its definitely repairable. Do yourself a favor and start hunkering down now while you're still early in your undergrad career. The average GPA and MCAT for matriculated students in recent years was ~3.7 and ~31 ( a 508 on the new exam, if I'm not mistaken), respectively. If you got into brown you're probably a bright kid and you can do this. Tap into your school's resources if you need extra help in your subjects. Talk to your counselor about scheduling difficult courses with easier ones if needed. Don't forget your GPA and MCAT aren't the only two deciding factors on MD admission. Make sure to get your ECs in, build relationships with professors for LORs/research opportunities, and remember to have a little fun once in a while but don't forget why you're in school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellow SDN'ers.

I just received my final grades for my second semester at Brown. I can definitely say that freshman year was a rough transition (I wasn't used to taking such difficult classes alongside such a bright student body).

My GPA for my freshman year is a 3.3. My science GPA is a 3.25. Is that ok? I have been getting better at studying and retaining information. My grades second semester were better than first.

Has anybody else here started with a GPA like this? Were you able to raise it?

Thanks everybody.

Step up your game.

I have been getting better at studying and retaining information. My grades second semester were better than first.

If this is true, and the upward trend continues, you should be fine. Keep track of how you study and make changes where needed.

You'll hit your stride soon. Like you said, your grades are improving and you are realizing what works for you and what doesn't. For me it was a trial and error type thing. You will eventually find exactly what works the best for you, and it'll be much easier to maintain the grades that you want to have. After only 1 year that is not a horrible GPA. You have plenty of time to raise that GPA to where you want it to. It's all about what you put into the classes.

You're at Brown and you have lower than a 3.9?

Pretty sure you're lying