How is Optometry Super Saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oklahomasooner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as to how Optometry is super saturated? There are only 21 schools and most schools don't even graduate 100 per year! There are multiple medical schools that graduate 150+ yet physicians (or dentists/pharmacists) are not super saturated. So how is the optometrist career super saturated?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools have 100 people graduating going into 50 different specialties. Optometry school graduates one type of doctor. Imagine if every medical school graduated 100 heart surgeons or 100 orthopedic surgeons. There would be way too many doctors for the need. There is a large economic powerhouse in this country called "med-ed". It is essentially the business of training healthcare people be it optometrists, pharmacists, nurses, physician assistants. I am sure you have seen the ads on TV to "get a job in health care". The problem is that the people creating these schools do not really care what happens when people graduate. Look at the pharmacist life. It has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. From once the mom and pop pharmacist in each town to low paying jobs working at CVS. I suspect the quality of life for optometrists will go down as the market continues to be flooded. The financial expectations should be downgraded because salaries now are based on a certain amount of practioners. More practioners = lower income.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused as to how Optometry is super saturated? There are only 21 schools and most schools don't even graduate 100 per year! There are multiple medical schools that graduate 150+ yet physicians (or dentists/pharmacists) are not super saturated. So how is the optometrist career super saturated?

On what do you base the claim that these other areas of healthcare you mentioned are not saturated? I think you might be surprised to find that our problems are not unique to Optometry.

Look around for some numbers. Look at the increase in OD graduates over the last five years alone. Look at the rate at which schools are opening. Can you think of many places that have no access to eye care?

I've noticed a trend in pre-opt students lately. I think it's natural to question and doubt any negative comments about your future profession. You've been told that Optometry is great, and that the future is bright. I believe both of those things are still true, but only if those entering the profession can look at the facts. There are still successful private practices all over the country (not to mention happy ODs in corporate practice, despite popular belief) and it is absolutely possible to pay off your loans and be successful. But Optometry as a whole needs to address the problems we face, and I would recommend doing some research before committing. Optometry school isn't a cake walk, so be sure about what you're doing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I noticed that you have "Oklahoma" in your name. Optometry is a basically gold mine in OKlahoma and is one of the best careers you can have in that state. It's basically separate from optometry in general, which has a lot more challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More schools = More lax standards of admission = More graduates being pumped out to a field where many practitioners are or were underbooked even in 2011 according to this
http://www.aoa.org/news/inside-opto...ce-is-adequate-to-meet-projected-demand?sso=y

Not to mention the competition from OMD's/Online glass stores/Opticians wanting to refract. It's common to graduate OD school and start working part time as an associate at couple of places as a contract employee without any benefits etc. I didn't wanna be in that predicament while having a 150k student loan. I was a gung ho pre-opt before i switched to pre-med. It's a great profession but things do need to change and one should at least be aware about these challenges before pursuing this route.

Pharmacy IS super saturated.
Dental schools don't open left and right unlike Pharm and OD schools.

The quality of pharmacy schools that are now opening are a joke and subsequently graduate unqualified pharmacists. If you perused around the pharmacy subreddit on Reddit or look at the pharmacy forum here you'll notice a pattern of posts of students failing out of pharmacy schools are failing the NAPLEX. This happened very rarely 20 years ago. The admission standards are laughable, "2.6 gpa and a ****ty PCAT, sure come on in but bring your checkbook".

Pharmacy is a terrible field to go into right now and is very saturated.

You are posing the scenario as if comparing the number of apples in two identical baskets — one cannot approach the mathematics of profession-saturation this way.

Yes, there are many more medical schools than optometry. There also are very many more cashiers than doctors. Saturation is a matter of supply and demand, not of raw numbers. Optometry is highly saturated irrespective of the number of medical doctors, lawyers, or cashiers in circulation.

Good, though complex, ways to gauge whether a profession has an excesssive quantity of many members is to evaluate how much money they pay to enter the field, how long it takes them to return this amount, how long it takes them to earn profit, and whether they are performing jobs they enjoy. Optometry education is very expensive, and the revenue an optometrist generates is relatively quite small. Further, and perhaps more important, a large number of optometrists, for at least some years after graduation, spend at least an amount of their time working in jobs they do not want, simply because they need the income; desirable full-time positions are difficult to obtain.

"Saturated" isn't word that can be thrown out and be expected to be applicable to all places. In some places it is, sure. But so are all the other health professions. My local optometrist the other day (Florida) was mentioning how he expects me to return from SUNY-O after graduation to work here due to the high demand. If its saturated in one place, move to another. Just like other jobs, it may require you to relocate.

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OPTOMETRY:

I will tell you, without a doubt, now is the worst time in history to go into Optometry. While we've gain some medical treating privileges (and some basic, tiny surgical ones)..........completely by our organization bribing senators with lots of dough, the number of new graduates from a 5-7 new OD schools, is/will kill opportunity. With 14 OD schools, we were already graduating more ODs than needed. With the extra ones, you will be lucky to piece together 3-4 part-time jobs paying $60,000/yr ($45,000/yr after taxes) while trying to pay back $150,000 - $2500,00 worth of school loans. You will be paying $2,000/month just paying back your school loans. For all your hard work, you will be essentially make the salary of a teacher or police officer. All the while you will get burned out from most every job you have (90% will be in a closet in a 'store') while doing 40 refractions per day (America's Best, Walmart, Vision Works, etc.....). You will last 6 months at each place. The owner will not care because you are a dime a dozen. Another OD is just salivating to take your spot.

10-20% of you MIGHT.......might land an associate job with an established OD. He will promise you a partnership in a few years while refusing to put anything in writing, paying you $60,000 because (you're building equity, right). Again he doesn't care. He needs a refractionist because ODs are too stupid to let high school techs refract (while most every OMD has one or 20 refracting techs that pretty much do 90% of an ODs job). It takes a trained monkey to refract. Hell you can teach a tech to do every right up to viewing in the slit lamp.

5% of you might have the balls and money to start their own place or buy an established place. There ARE still some opportunities out there. But for 100 ODs a year, not 2,000 (while probably 100 per year retire or die). Optometry is a job you can do until you're a 120 as long as your arms work. So very few retire. Most just let their little 1,000 sq ft office die away and try to sell their 50 year old equipment while they just shut the door.

What else.............ahhh............In the 15 years I've been an OD, I've seen reimbursement drop on virtually EVERY procedure we do. Some in HALF. While we were getting $75 per exam from some medical and vision plans, many are now dropping to $25-$30. Why............say it together class- SUPPLY AND DEMAND. A insurance plan KNOW's they can pay as little as they want because there are always 1,000's ODs that will take whatever they offer.

The only doctoral health care professions worse than Optometry is Pharmacy (who the hell wants to stand behind the counter at Walgreen's 60 hours a week directing Aunt Edna to the hemorrhoid isle). And Chiropractic......well, they are just glorified massage techs. Like optometry, their organization has paid off enough senators that they are "Doctors" able to suck money from Medicaid and Medicare for "adjustments" that take 1,000 visits.

I've mentioned all the downfalls of Optometry before. Without fail, some people get really mad. They say I'm not a real OD. I'm a loser and that's why I'm disgruntled (actually I started my own office from scratch and make about $140,000/yr and purchased my own building). So it can be done. But I will tell you I worked much harder than the dentist right beside me that started the same time. She is bringing in $200,000 working 4 days per week. Off Fri with 3 day weekends always. Dentistry is the only profession I'd recommend because they have NO competition and still many cash procedures.

So get mad if you want. This is not what you want to hear if you are all gung-ho on going to Optometry school. You will meet some successful optometrist and think, "hey, they don't look all that smart. If they can do it, I can too). But you got to remember, they did it at a much different time. They had $40,000 of school loans. Much less competition (no Walmarts or mail-order glasses and contacts, no other OD to their left and right, $300 contact lenses). We compete with OMDs, each other, opticians, Big corporations, urgent cares, pediatricians, family docs, etc.....). ODs are rarely the first place a person goes with an eye injury.

Take this free advice if you will. Ignore it. Makes no difference to me.

Reactions: 1 users
He needs a refractionist because ODs are too stupid to let high school techs refract (while most every OMD has one or 20 refracting techs that pretty much do 90% of an ODs job). It takes a trained monkey to refract. Hell you can teach a tech to do every right up to viewing in the slit lamp.

I've heard this a few times before on this board and I'm really skeptical that students go through four years of professional education just to refract.

Dentistry is the only profession I'd recommend because they have NO competition

lol

Optometry is super saturated because from 16 US Optometry schools we are now at 21 and another one opening up soon bring it to 22. New graduates are coming out each year by the tons with more students being admitted to each entering class. Supply versus demand. In big cities, where there are many OD's and OMD's finding FT jobs is difficult. Optometric salaries the past 10- 15 even 20 years have not kept up with the rate of inflation. The AOA however, paints a different picture because it is their duty to convince prospective applicants of what a promising career Optometry is and will be for them. Our optometric leaders in the past did great things to promote Optometry. That's right. DID as in past tense. IMO, they no longer look out for the thousands of ODs across this country. It's become for profit organization like never before. Greed kills you. That's right. If anyone has anything to respond to my statement as to agree or disagree, please do so. I would love to hear all responses.

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OPTOMETRY:

I will tell you, without a doubt, now is the worst time in history to go into Optometry. While we've gain some medical treating privileges (and some basic, tiny surgical ones)..........completely by our organization bribing senators with lots of dough, the number of new graduates from a 5-7 new OD schools, is/will kill opportunity. With 14 OD schools, we were already graduating more ODs than needed. With the extra ones, you will be lucky to piece together 3-4 part-time jobs paying $60,000/yr ($45,000/yr after taxes) while trying to pay back $150,000 - $2500,00 worth of school loans. You will be paying $2,000/month just paying back your school loans. For all your hard work, you will be essentially make the salary of a teacher or police officer. All the while you will get burned out from most every job you have (90% will be in a closet in a 'store') while doing 40 refractions per day (America's Best, Walmart, Vision Works, etc.....). You will last 6 months at each place. The owner will not care because you are a dime a dozen. Another OD is just salivating to take your spot.

10-20% of you MIGHT.......might land an associate job with an established OD. He will promise you a partnership in a few years while refusing to put anything in writing, paying you $60,000 because (you're building equity, right). Again he doesn't care. He needs a refractionist because ODs are too stupid to let high school techs refract (while most every OMD has one or 20 refracting techs that pretty much do 90% of an ODs job). It takes a trained monkey to refract. Hell you can teach a tech to do every right up to viewing in the slit lamp.

5% of you might have the balls and money to start their own place or buy an established place. There ARE still some opportunities out there. But for 100 ODs a year, not 2,000 (while probably 100 per year retire or die). Optometry is a job you can do until you're a 120 as long as your arms work. So very few retire. Most just let their little 1,000 sq ft office die away and try to sell their 50 year old equipment while they just shut the door.

What else.............ahhh............In the 15 years I've been an OD, I've seen reimbursement drop on virtually EVERY procedure we do. Some in HALF. While we were getting $75 per exam from some medical and vision plans, many are now dropping to $25-$30. Why............say it together class- SUPPLY AND DEMAND. A insurance plan KNOW's they can pay as little as they want because there are always 1,000's ODs that will take whatever they offer.

The only doctoral health care professions worse than Optometry is Pharmacy (who the hell wants to stand behind the counter at Walgreen's 60 hours a week directing Aunt Edna to the hemorrhoid isle). And Chiropractic......well, they are just glorified massage techs. Like optometry, their organization has paid off enough senators that they are "Doctors" able to suck money from Medicaid and Medicare for "adjustments" that take 1,000 visits.

I've mentioned all the downfalls of Optometry before. Without fail, some people get really mad. They say I'm not a real OD. I'm a loser and that's why I'm disgruntled (actually I started my own office from scratch and make about $140,000/yr and purchased my own building). So it can be done. But I will tell you I worked much harder than the dentist right beside me that started the same time. She is bringing in $200,000 working 4 days per week. Off Fri with 3 day weekends always. Dentistry is the only profession I'd recommend because they have NO competition and still many cash procedures.

So get mad if you want. This is not what you want to hear if you are all gung-ho on going to Optometry school. You will meet some successful optometrist and think, "hey, they don't look all that smart. If they can do it, I can too). But you got to remember, they did it at a much different time. They had $40,000 of school loans. Much less competition (no Walmarts or mail-order glasses and contacts, no other OD to their left and right, $300 contact lenses). We compete with OMDs, each other, opticians, Big corporations, urgent cares, pediatricians, family docs, etc.....). ODs are rarely the first place a person goes with an eye injury.

Take this free advice if you will. Ignore it. Makes no difference to me.

Thank you for this analysis, truly. It is important for people to know what they are getting into.

How do you stop it at this point? A moratorium on schools and seats? How many schools would it take to shut down before numbers start to get to a healthy level? If there were only 10 schools in the country, do you think the profession could recover?

Optometry is super saturated because from 16 US Optometry schools we are now at 21 and another one opening up soon bring it to 22. New graduates are coming out each year by the tons with more students being admitted to each entering class. Supply versus demand. In big cities, where there are many OD's and OMD's finding FT jobs is difficult. Optometric salaries the past 10- 15 even 20 years have not kept up with the rate of inflation. The AOA however, paints a different picture because it is their duty to convince prospective applicants of what a promising career Optometry is and will be for them. Our optometric leaders in the past did great things to promote Optometry. That's right. DID as in past tense. IMO, they no longer look out for the thousands of ODs across this country. It's become for profit organization like never before. Greed kills you. That's right. If anyone has anything to respond to my statement as to agree or disagree, please do so. I would love to hear all responses.

Well, I glad to see that pharmacy isn't the only profession whose national organizations are useless (if not detrimental) as tit$ on a bull.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
"Saturated" isn't word that can be thrown out and be expected to be applicable to all places. In some places it is, sure. But so are all the other health professions. My local optometrist the other day (Florida) was mentioning how he expects me to return from SUNY-O after graduation to work here due to the high demand. If its saturated in one place, move to another. Just like other jobs, it may require you to relocate.

What happens when those places are filled?

Refracting is actually quite easy. Most people over the age of 17 are not very difficult, and can be refracted within 5 minutes. I would personally rather have a tech do refractions if it was allowed in my state. There are some cases where BV issues arise and a trained optometrist is more suitable. But returning non-problematic patients I would have no problem handing off this duty to someone else. Refraction is the most boring job that I do all day long.

I have no interest in being an optometrist,

however I would like to know, for my own knowledge, exactly why the recent BLS data says theres a 27% increase in job outlook for optometry

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/optometrists.htm

If someone can explain this to me it would be great

More graduates fall into the Optometry pool every year, and I'm willing to bet they all find jobs. I don't know where the BLS gets it's data, but finding a job as an Optometrist isn't the issue. It certainly isn't because of increasing demand.

Wouldn't ACA Obamacare etc. increase the # of patients going to OD's as well?
If everyone's insured, i'd assume patients will be willing to get their eyes checked more often. I have limited/zero knowledge on American health care system so i'm just curious.

You are not correct for a few reasons, though I can understand why you might think that way.

The population of the USA is approximately 320 million. Before Obamacare, there were 20, 30, or 40 million people uninsured, depending on who you wanted to believe. That means that there were approximately 300 million people who WERE insured, or approximately 90% of the population. Even if every single person signed up for Obamacare (didn't happen, won't happen) and even if every single one of those patients got a comprehensive eye exam (won't happen) and even if every single one of those patients got their comprehensive eye examination from an optometrist (won't happen) then you would expect at most a 10% increase in patient volume.

Most manpower and usage studies show that the average optometrist does 1.1 comprehensive exams per hour. In theory, Obamacare would bring it up to 1.21 exams per hour. Not exactly a massive increase.

And even if not a single person in the USA had insurance, eye exams are low cost items in the health care arena. You can get an exam for less than a haircut in most major urban centers. Even with such an oversupply of providers and low cost of care, you still have millions of people not getting examined.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the demand numbers for optometrists are all off....There will be a massive glut of optometrists in the future. This is for several reasons:

1. Yes the population is aging and older people need eyecare but the flaw is that medical demand is different than optometric demand. Patients see an optometrist at a young age because 50% of people wear glasses. It's not like at 65 people suddenly need glasses. On top of the the rest of the people go to an optometrist after 40 for readers (not everyone, I know but a lot of people). How many people go to an eye doctor for the first time at 65? In 10 years of practice I have met maybe 1 person.

2. In order to drive you need to do an eye test. This screens out refractive population early at 16 etc.. so those people are already in the optometry network.

3. Most optometrists already see people without insurance. Those people pay a refraction fee etc.. and are seen...Optometry and Insurance are two weakly linked things compared to medical care and insurance. There is such a need for seeing properly that people will see us well before they have insurance because they need it for school, to get a driver's license, to read etc..

4. An aging population may increase demand for "surgery" but is it increasing a demand for eye exams? I don't think so. Maybe some people will be seen more often but not at the rate that there is an increase of optometrists

We are destroying our profession the same way pharmacists did. It may help us pay off senators/congressman so in 2060 optometrists are doing more things like OMDs but the reality is a whole generation of optometry students in training are about to be in fora big surprise and disappointment. The schools and that industry (yes it is an industry) just care about making more schools because it is a business subsidized by government on student loans. Not good.

I think the demand numbers for optometrists are all off....There will be a massive glut of optometrists in the future. This is for several reasons:

1. Yes the population is aging and older people need eyecare but the flaw is that medical demand is different than optometric demand. Patients see an optometrist at a young age because 50% of people wear glasses. It's not like at 65 people suddenly need glasses. On top of the the rest of the people go to an optometrist after 40 for readers (not everyone, I know but a lot of people). How many people go to an eye doctor for the first time at 65? In 10 years of practice I have met maybe 1 person.

2. In order to drive you need to do an eye test. This screens out refractive population early at 16 etc.. so those people are already in the optometry network.

3. Most optometrists already see people without insurance. Those people pay a refraction fee etc.. and are seen...Optometry and Insurance are two weakly linked things compared to medical care and insurance. There is such a need for seeing properly that people will see us well before they have insurance because they need it for school, to get a driver's license, to read etc..

4. An aging population may increase demand for "surgery" but is it increasing a demand for eye exams? I don't think so. Maybe some people will be seen more often but not at the rate that there is an increase of optometrists

We are destroying our profession the same way pharmacists did. It may help us pay off senators/congressman so in 2060 optometrists are doing more things like OMDs but the reality is a whole generation of optometry students in training are about to be in fora big surprise and disappointment. The schools and that industry (yes it is an industry) just care about making more schools because it is a business subsidized by government on student loans. Not good.

is there a way for optometrists to take back the profession? is there a way to reverse what has happened? More surgical rights? Less schools?

Possible....less schools...if more optometrists are coming out and the average salary for an optometrist drops from 200K to 70K remember the professor/dean etc of the schools don't care. They have the same income. Plus the more optometrists that can't get practicing positions the more are going to think "Well I could work as a professor at a school. Lets build a new one!". This is the issue. After a while you have so many schools that the training of optometrists becomes a business in itself.

Surgical rights are complicated. I don't think many practicing optometrist (including me) wants to do cataract surgery or lasik. Otherwise I would've gone to medical school. That being said, the drive for money is strong and if my income goes down, I would be interested in trying to make extra money any way possible....I would do heart surgery if they let me. :). That is the honest truth. So if I can give $250 a year for the chance for me to make an extra $50K a year 5 years from now, why wouldn't I do that? I will say even if we were allowed to do cataract surgery, when it was my turn to get my cataracts out, I would still get my cataracts done by an OMD.

Possible....less schools...if more optometrists are coming out and the average salary for an optometrist drops from 200K to 70K remember the professor/dean etc of the schools don't care. They have the same income. Plus the more optometrists that can't get practicing positions the more are going to think "Well I could work as a professor at a school. Lets build a new one!". This is the issue. After a while you have so many schools that the training of optometrists becomes a business in itself.

Surgical rights are complicated. I don't think many practicing optometrist (including me) wants to do cataract surgery or lasik. Otherwise I would've gone to medical school. That being said, the drive for money is strong and if my income goes down, I would be interested in trying to make extra money any way possible....I would do heart surgery if they let me. :). That is the honest truth. So if I can give $250 a year for the chance for me to make an extra $50K a year 5 years from now, why wouldn't I do that? I will say even if we were allowed to do cataract surgery, when it was my turn to get my cataracts out, I would still get my cataracts done by an OMD.

Let's put it this way, if OD school was 5 years, but all ODs were trained in laser surgery and that added an extra 50k to the income, would that make a difference? Plus closing down all extra schools? That way, schools still squeeze an extra year out for tuition, ODs get a chance to make some more money. Everyone wins and they all lived happily ever after.

Let's put it this way, if OD school was 5 years, but all ODs were trained in laser surgery and that added an extra 50k to the income, would that make a difference? Plus closing down all extra schools? That way, schools still squeeze an extra year out for tuition, ODs get a chance to make some more money. Everyone wins and they all lived happily ever after.

A couple of problems with this: There are only three states that allow Optometric use of lasers at the moment, so that would have to be nationwide in order to warrant teaching it in every school. Who is going to close extra schools? Which schools are considered extra? The AOA doesn't have the power to even regulate schools, let alone close them down, and I doubt the ASCO can do much outside of setting standard requirements. Universities open health professions programs to make money, and that's it. If they meet the requirements, and believe people will apply to their programs, they will open new schools.

A couple of problems with this: There are only three states that allow Optometric use of lasers at the moment, so that would have to be nationwide in order to warrant teaching it in every school. Who is going to close extra schools? Which schools are considered extra? The AOA doesn't have the power to even regulate schools, let alone close them down, and I doubt the ASCO can do much outside of setting standard requirements. Universities open health professions programs to make money, and that's it. If they meet the requirements, and believe people will apply to their programs, they will open new schools.

There isn't a school accreditation organization? For DOs its COCA, for MD is something else.

I say, get rid of all the schools that opened in the last 20 years.

You're doing this wrong if you think an aging population doesn't need their eyes checked more frequently. And I'm not talking about glasses or surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible....less schools...if more optometrists are coming out and the average salary for an optometrist drops from 200K to 70K remember the professor/dean etc of the schools don't care. They have the same income."

1) 200K ? Average salary of an optometrist ? Are you talking hypothetically -future or present ? Please tell me in which state, city OD's make average of 200K and in what setting ? That number is unheard of unless you are the AOA trying to get applicants into our profession.

I had no idea about the over-saturation, which seems to only be exacerbated in the future. Thanks for all the good information! I always find it fascinating to hear about the problems in all the other health professional fields. Don't worry, us MD students have our own slew of issues, and its interesting to see which ones overlap with other fields.

2) As MDs you might have your own issues, however; you are much marketable than us ODs will ever be. The tuition of Optometry and Medical schools in 2016 and forward are pretty much on par. The difference remains, when students-doctors get out, the return on their investment is the issue. Graduating with over 200K in student loans/ debt for an optometrist is and will be difficult. In medicine, different story.

Our optometric salaries have not kept up with rate of inflation. Trust me. Many ODs do exceptionally well depending where and how they practice. For others, it's not as bright as the AOA paints it to be.

On final note, I love my profession and I practice to the best of my ability with a carrying attitude. I'm disappointed in our leaders who at one point did wonderful things to promote Optometry to a different level. That is not the case anymore. If anyone feels different, I would love to hear all responses.

There isn't a school accreditation organization? For DOs its COCA, for MD is something else.

I say, get rid of all the schools that opened in the last 20 years.

The ASCO is that organization.

Do you think it's possible to change the accreditation requirements such that only those specific schools will need to close?

To previous posters: oh, yes. You feel my pain!

There are far to many optometrists competing for poorly paid positions. When I graduated about 25 years ago, I was taking home $400/day working in a large city. $500/day for last minute fill in. I papered every optometry/ophthalmology / optical store in my town with resumes. I worked 7 days a week and had my pick of jobs. A classmate working in the same city paid off all her student loans in one year. Then the work started drying up . Now, 25 years later, with a residency , FAAO and terrific government job I make substantially less. Taxes are much higher. Opto school is much more expensive now. Sure, I love my job and feel very blessed to have it. But no way would I do it again. Short of Bernie Sanders forgiving everyone's student loans, I don't know what today's students are going to do. Of course, if that is the case, today's youth will have spent years of their life in school before they discover they can't get a job.