How is taking a pre-req for CR/NCR and then retaking it viewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I took Gen Chem I. credit/no credit this semester (didn't want to deal with the GPA of a C-C+). Since then, I've decided I really do want to leave the opportunities open to go into a medical school profession and am planning to retake. Assuming I get a good grade at the retake, how will the CR/NCR be viewed by admission commities since there is no actual intial grade?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I took Gen Chem I. credit/no credit this semester (didn't want to deal with the GPA of a C-C+). Since then, I've decided I really do want to leave the opportunities open to go into a medical school profession and am planning to retake. Assuming I get a good grade at the retake, how will the CR/NCR be viewed by admission commities since there is no actual intial grade?

Thanks!

What will it say on your transcript? I dont understand why you would take a course and opt not to have a grade, unless you knew ahead of time you were going to do poorly.

Personally I would ask why you took Chemistry twice.

What will it say on your transcript? I dont understand why you would take a course and opt not to have a grade, unless you knew ahead of time you were going to do poorly.

Personally I would ask why you took Chemistry twice.

It will say "CR" (basically, a "pass" in our version of "pass/fail," not used in institutional GPA calculations). We could opt for CR/NCR grading any time before finals week, I was (am, I guess?) on track to get a "C" or "C+" and didn't want it to destroy my 3.75 GPA, had doubts about the field, etc., so I decided to take CR/NCR and save myself a lot of panic. Now, I realized that I made a mistake and will retake, but I'm wondering how a retake with no actual grade the forst time around will be viewed.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand now.

Well...you will be retaking it anyway, so thats good. Hopefully next time around it will help your GPA.

I say just be honest. You took the course but you didnt have the ability to devote as much time to it as you previously thought and decided to take a no-credit.

You really just audited the course.

I dont think it will be an issue. they may not even notice

Good luck

Thanks for the reply! Actually, unless I unexpectedly bomb the final tomorrow, I should be technically be getting credit for the course. I was trying to take it on a 19 credit load while pledging a sorority.... Stupid in hindsight, I know, but I think I learned from my poor planning. I'm doing well in everything else, though, and I think I should be on track to get around 3.75-ish for the semester (but who really knows until finals?), so this semester wasn't a total disaster GPA-wise, I guess.