How is this for my interview suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be wearing a white shirt, dark grey suit, purple tie with white polkadots, brown belt, and brown shoes. I'm going to do a comb over (kind of like what Justin Timberlake does lol)

Here's a picture of my suit, tie, and belt below!
IMG_7763.jpg

and a screenshot of my shoes and a white dress shirt lol
ORDER AMMI'S PHONE.png

critique me?! My interview's at NYUCD

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason... I saw this outfit on Steve Carell! Must be your avatar haha!
It looks SPIFFY! Good luck yankpak786!

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure it's not a women's cut

Reactions: 6 users
Skinny tie.....risky move but it might just be crazy enough to work.

Big a fan of the hermes belt. Not critiquing (just for my own knowledge), but is it acceptable to wear a big "flashy" belt buckle? especially gold?

Make sure it's not a women's cut
LOL if you're quoting The Office... "it's unisex"

edit: ok... just realized you may not have been quoting The Office, I fixed the pic lol

Last edited:
Pretty sure it is. Buttons are on the wrong side.
lol are you joking? o_O

Skinny tie.....risky move but it might just be crazy enough to work.
AH, I didn't know skinny ties were risky... I just really thought I would complement it well, I'm a tall, slender man.

Big a fan of the hermes belt. Not critiquing (just for my own knowledge), but is it acceptable to wear a big "flashy" belt buckle? especially gold?
Man, I was really thinking about this too lol. I can't wait to finally wear the belt but yeah, I don't wanna come off as pretentious or someone who's flashy.

Members don't see this ad :)
OH, I think I know the issue now. The suit wasn't buttoned up, I just placed it that way... here it is buttoned up, in order to eliminate the confusion lol.
unnamed.jpg

Idk about the belt. Got another option?

Idk about the belt. Got another option?
I only have one plain black belt, nothing fancy or anything. But because my shoes are brown, I kind of want a brown belt as well... I guess I'll just have to get another one.

Man, this application cycle has wreaked havoc on my bank account lmao

How's this belt, just ordered it, should get it by next week.
ORDER AMMI'S PHONE.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How's this belt, just ordered it, should get it by next week.
View attachment 185903
I have to say I like that belt better. I was a little iffy on the old belt clashing with your shoes. Be careful about matching your browns well (something I'm sure you care about given the fact there's this thread lol). Honestly you could prob wear a black belt and still be fine w brown shoes. It'll be under your suit jacket and not attract attention. But good choice changing the belt. How does it feel having your own sdn style committee? ;)

I have to say I like that belt better. I was a little iffy on the old belt clashing with your shoes. Be careful about matching your browns well (something I'm sure you care about given the fact there's this thread lol). Honestly you could prob wear a black belt and still be fine w brown shoes. It'll be under your suit jacket and not attract attention. But good choice changing the belt. How does it feel having your own sdn style committee? ;)
Hahaha, thanks. Yeah I feel that Hermes belt was a little bit too much anyways, I'll save it for after I get in LOL.

It feels good, you people have ensured I'll look amazing come interview day :p

Now if only I can manage to get my nerves under control...

Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha, thanks. Yeah I feel that Hermes belt was a little bit too much anyways, I'll save it for after I get in LOL.

It feels good, you people have ensured I'll look amazing come interview day :p

Now if only I can manage to get my nerves under control...
Don't freak out! I've been on 3 interviews and they've all been super chill :) just be yourself and enjoy your time there.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a bold strategy cotton
LOL SO MANY REFERENCES!

Don't freak out! I've been on 3 interviews and they've all been super chill :) just be yourself and enjoy your time there.
Thanks a lot! I hope mine are super chill as well, should I get there earlier than they said? I mean 8AM is the time I should be there, so I was thinking maybe I should reach 7-7:30?

Don't freak out about clothing. As long as you wear decent clothes which I see you have picked you will be fine. Interview is all about presenting yourself - esp the part when you open your mouth to answer questions/eye contact/ etc

Don't freak out about clothing. As long as you wear decent clothes which I see you have picked you will be fine. Interview is all about presenting yourself - esp the part when you open your mouth to answer questions/eye contact/ etc
AH, yes, you're absolutely right. I'm going to work on that over the weekend.

LOL SO MANY REFERENCES!

Thanks a lot! I hope mine are super chill as well, should I get there earlier than they said? I mean 8AM is the time I should be there, so I was thinking maybe I should reach 7-7:30?
Depends, which school is it for? If they say "doors won't open till 8" I wouldn't bother but I know other schools they actually wanted me to show up earlier. I solidly try to arrive like 15 min early. I think 730 is fine definitely not 7

Depends, which school is it for? If they say "doors won't open till 8" I wouldn't bother but I know other schools they actually wanted me to show up earlier. I solidly try to arrive like 15 min early. I think 730 is fine definitely not 7
for NYU! Ah, I see, I know for a fact they're open earlier. I think 7:30 is pretty good too:)

for NYU! Ah, I see, I know for a fact they're open earlier. I think 7:30 is pretty good too:)
If you're looking for a good pizza place, make sure you check out a place called Sbarro

Last edited:
damn, just looking at someone buying suit makes me nervous.
I don't even have a suit. I need to start shopping.

This is ridiculous.. Do you really think adcom will pay attention to how you're dressed? Nope! As long as you look respectable (neat and professional), cheap suit will do just as well! It's amazing how much money people waste on interview attire. I know a girl who bought the cheapest suit she could find ($80 for everything, I believe it was a skirt and a jacket), simple, black and classy-looking flats from TjMaxx for $18, and a white, "office-style" shirt from Ross for $15. She looked professional and neat, and that's all that mattered. She's currently a first-year student at her top choice DS.

In other words, if your DAT and GPA suck, your Hermes belt will not save you. Sorry to be blunt!

A cheap suit that fits well may be acceptable, but why not spend a couple hundred more on a quality suit that will last you for years to come? I know funds are tight for a lot of people, but I don't see much sense in paying $150 for a suit from Jos A Bank when $500 will get you one from Nordstrom, including complementary tailoring for the life of the suit.

A cheap suit that fits well may be acceptable, but why not spend a couple hundred more on a quality suit that will last you for years to come? I know funds are tight for a lot of people, but I don't see much sense in paying $150 for a suit from Jos A Bank when $500 will get you one from Nordstrom, including complementary tailoring for the life of the suit.

$500? You can get a good quality suit at Macy's for $250! They seem to have sales every week...

If that includes tailoring, then that's a good price as well.

This is ridiculous.. Do you really think adcom will pay attention to how you're dressed? Nope! As long as you look respectable (neat and professional), cheap suit will do just as well! It's amazing how much money people waste on interview attire. I know a girl who bought the cheapest suit she could find ($80 for everything, I believe it was a skirt and a jacket), simple, black and classy-looking flats from TjMaxx for $18, and a white, "office-style" shirt from Ross for $15. She looked professional and neat, and that's all that mattered. She's currently a first-year student at her top choice DS.

In other words, if your DAT and GPA suck, your Hermes belt will not save you. Sorry to be blunt!
Well, thankfully my GPA and DAT don't suck. :)
No need to apologize kid.

next week! :D super hype.

I convinced myself it's going to go well lol. I'm taking it more as encountering a new friend who wants to see why I like dentistry, putting it into perspective like that makes the "interview" seem less daunting.

ok... interview in 3 days, not trying to bring this thread up from the dead, I think I'm suited and booted well, but I honestly am nervous about the interview now. My friend mock-interviewed me and I was stumped on questions I wasn't initially worried about! D; not sure what happened to my confidence.

ok... interview in 3 days, not trying to bring this thread up from the dead, I think I'm suited and booted well, but I honestly am nervous about the interview now. My friend mock-interviewed me and I was stumped on questions I wasn't initially worried about! D; not sure what happened to my confidence.

Better to be stumped now than in an interview! Take a deep breath, and review the tricky questions. Since its a few days away you can even google some questions and start brainstorming answers now. Even the most stressful interviews can be made relaxed by being well prepared which it sounds like you are! Good luck.

You're right, I'm gonna look up some meditation techniques, and begin jotting bullet points of my answers to keep of keep me on the right path. I hope it goes well D:

Alright, D-Day is tomorrow! Lol.

Quick question... what's the protocol on wearing a pocket square?! This is what I currently have done.
unnamed.jpg

Alright, D-Day is tomorrow! Lol.

Quick question... what's the protocol on wearing a pocket square?! This is what I currently have done.
View attachment 186077
you already look flashy with that belt...keep it conservative...the pocket square is a little douchy for an interview (save it for formal parties)...

you already look flashy with that belt...keep it conservative...the pocket square is a little douchy for an interview (save it for formal parties)...
oh no, I changed the belt to this
order-ammis-phone-png.185903

I would leave the pocket square at home. Number one rule for an interview, don't be remembered by your outfit!

I would leave the pocket square at home. Number one rule for an interview, don't be remembered by your outfit!
Got it... is a tie clip okay? Just to keep my tie in place, I'm going to be walking there from the station (15 mins walk) so I don't want it to look out of place, or be disheveled at any point of the interview when the tie won't be in my sight.

Got it... is a tie clip okay? Just to keep my tie in place, I'm going to be walking there from the station (15 mins walk) so I don't want it to look out of place, or be disheveled at any point of the interview when the tie won't be in my sight.

Tie clip is good. Make sure it isn't too flashy though! Good luck!!!!

I think pocket squares are okay, but maybe not that type of fold. The suit guy at neimans suggested just plain white, folded in a rectangle, with a quarter to a half inch exposed.

I think pocket squares are okay, but maybe not that type of fold. The suit guy at neimans suggested just plain white, folded in a rectangle, with a quarter to a half inch exposed.
Tie clip is good. Make sure it isn't too flashy though! Good luck!!!!
Got it! Thank you guys so much, all of you responders have been a huge help. Have to wake up in less than 6 hours lol!
I'M POSITIVE IT WILL GO WELL! :)