How is tripler gen surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sqw5036

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
after some research, i found many posts saying that walter reed, madigan and brooke gen surg programs are good. yet I didnt find any info about gen surg program in tripler. Does anyone know about this program could comment on it? Should I consider tripler gen surg? would I get adequate training there?

Members don't see this ad.

after some research, i found many posts saying that walter reed, madigan and brooke gen surg programs are good. yet I didnt find any info about gen surg program in tripler. Does anyone know about this program could comment on it? Should I consider tripler gen surg? would I get adequate training there?

The best way to find out is to go see for yourself. Plan on doing a rotation there if the idea of living in Hawaii appeals to you. You will get adequate training at any of the Army programs, the trick is to find where you fit in and can find what you're looking for in a program, as each is unique.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard good things, though I haven't rotated there myself. The family medicine people said they're extremely nice which surprised me.

I know one or two residents that left the surgery program at Tripler in the last 2-3 years despite being 2/3 years

When I was at Tripler, GenSurg was a lot worse than that; they usually graduated only 2 every year for 4 approved slots, because of people quitting/getting fired. People were leaving as 3/4's. The Residents were generally pleasant, but their Staff had some very toxic personalities. I felt sorry for the Residents; our housestaff who rotated with that department generally couldn't wait to get away from their Staff. Some of the things people who trained there told me later... horrendous.

But that was a few years ago. They have a new PD and new Staff now. Given how few slots there are in the Army, you do yourself a disservice if you don't rotate there and find out for yourself.