how is univ.of louisville's program? somebody!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
why can't someone answer!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's 100% improved to me (an observer) from when I started there 5 years ago. The generalized increased in student interest in the field has led to a tangible improvement in the resident quality. I really have also been impressed with some of the FMG's in the program, there are a few Bosnians who are just outstanding doctors (one, a fully trained pediatric orthopedist was my intern last month & was so good )

You aren't going to get some of the bells & whistles you might find @ the very top programs, but they turn out real solid people. Critical care is a bit weak for them, but they've made some improvements & now have their own ICU to play with (for that matter though, critical care seems to not be a very popular venture for most anesthia MD's in training or practice & none of the hospitals in this region have Anesthesia run ICU's)

I'd say overall the program is an OK program in a wonderful city that appeals to many students for geography & quality of life (both in & out of the hospital)

thanks for the reply.....do the residents get their fellowships upon completing? are they well prepared for the boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak with authority on those ?'s

I think must graduates have just been going straight into practice. I have not heard of them having problems with their board exams.

The University of Louisville is clearly an up and coming program. The faculty are incredibly interested in advancing the quality of training of the residents. They have some very key players in place to make the program one to take a second look at while interviewing. The dean of the medical school is aurthor of a widely used cardiac anesthesia text book. The chair of the program is also incredibly well regarded in academic circles as she is the author of a mass of chapters, reviews and other publications. If research is your interest then Louisville has a nationally regarded resource in a gentleman that was recognized by the ASA in 2002 for his excellence in research. And despite what most people will tell you about their simulator labs and how grand they are, they truely pale in comparison to the University of Louisville's. Aside from all of these qualities that make a very attractive training program, the faculty are incredibly kind and sincere in their efforts to education of their residents. Louisville is also a very nice place to live and work, the 'Derby' is only one of the few things it has to offer. I take it by the phrasing of your question in May means that you matched at Louisville and you probably already know that you have matched at a very nice program. Good luck with residency.

thanks for the reply...but i haven't mathced yet..i will be applying this year for the match and i'm trying to find a small but established program and univ.of louisville looks appealing...i had my doubts about the program because i heard bad things about it a couple of years ago...no teaching,poor didactics,residents not completing...but now it seems the program has improved drastically,right? any info. about how competitive the program is going to be this coming match? i only have average scores on my boards which is my concern..any response would be duly appreciated..

thanks