How late am I?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seemesmile10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How late is my mailing date being 09/12/2014?! I applied to 15 schools. Am I screwed?
20/21/20, 3.49 oGPA, 3.42 sGPA, lots of extracurriculars, 1000+ shadow hours

Members don't see this ad.

You can't do anything about it now, just relax.

You're pretty late but now you'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had been early, yes. However, you're pretty late in the game and they've already started handing out interviews and supplementals. Typically, those who apply this late usually try to balance it out with stellar stats like a 22+ DAT. Just keep your head up!

darn.. i wish i hadn't spent so much money on apps and supplemental fees.. :/

Your chances aren't bad, but they're not great. Your stats are still competitive!

I think you're fine. At this point you'll probably only get post-dec interviews. But thats fine, as long as you have strong interviews, you should have a pretty good chance.

Just remember that after dec, alot of seats will be taken.

I think this year has more applicants than last year... However, some schools started late in the interview process. I think you are fine, but it will be tough

thanks, I hope so! The schools just received my application and are reviewing it

Don't worry too much about it.. From this point, nothing you can do.
One thing will make you nervous is that you will get an interview invitation after December.
Unfortunately, this requires more patient than other applicants.
But you have a lot of extracurriculum and 1000+ shadowing hours and your GPA and DAT score are pretty good!!
so keep your head up and being confident

I wish I didn't worry so much, but I'm freaking out with all these supplemental fees and hoping that they even take a look at my app!!
thank you guys though

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I didn't worry so much, but I'm freaking out with all these supplemental fees and hoping that they even take a look at my app!!
thank you guys though

I think it's easier to count the people who AREN'T freaking out on this forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should have saved your money.

My mail-out date is tomorrow too, with a 3.56 oGPA, 3.36 SGPA and 19 DAT and I already have one interview. Don't listen to the jackasses on this forum saying you wasted your money. For all the future doctors here there sure is a lot of ignorance on this site

Reactions: 2 users
My mail-out date is tomorrow too, with a 3.56 oGPA, 3.36 SGPA and 19 DAT and I already have one interview. Don't listen to the jackasses on this forum saying you wasted your money. For all the future doctors here there sure is a lot of ignorance on this site
It's not ignorance. It's great that you got an interview and nobody is wishing you or OP bad fortune, but the fact is that the odds of being invited for an interview decrease significantly the later you apply. It's not impossible, just much harder, which is why some people think that his money would be better spent if he waited until the next cycle and applied early.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this year has more applicants than last year... However, some schools started late in the interview process. I think you are fine, but it will be tough

What are those schools?

NYU, Tufts, BU, Creighton, OU, Nova, D. Mercy, USC, LECOM, UT houston, Columbia are the schools i applied to. Hows the list?

Last edited:
Just being honest but that list doesn't look like a whole lot of research went into it. I understand that you were probably on a tight deadline to get your app in. Let's just say there are a few schools I would not have applied to and a lot of other schools I would have.

which schools would you have taken out and which schools would you have added?

I would have taken out Columbia, UT Houston and possibly a few others that your stats aren't on par for (just because you are a little late). Your list is still good, I would have just spent more money on schools that would give me the best shot. I would have added Western, UNLV, MWU IL, Roseman...I am pulling these off the top of my head. Look at the ADEA guide as a resource.

hey, if it makes you feel better I mailed out and paid for 15 schools on June 10th before I took the DAT. Being a non-science major, I bombed the DAT and can't retake it till the 26th (but ill probably take it like Oct. 5th). So with that being said, you're way ahead of me!

and before anyone tells me I am an idiot, I should point out that I already submitted and paid so why not retake and send in my new scores? if I don't I will literally be throwing 2 grand in the trash haha.

I would have taken out Columbia, UT Houston and possibly a few others that your stats aren't on par for (just because you are a little late). Your list is still good, I would have just spent more money on schools that would give me the best shot. I would have added Western, UNLV, MWU IL, Roseman...I am pulling these off the top of my head. Look at the ADEA guide as a resource.
I agree, all of those schools that you listed are schools that I applied to, but then again I knew that I was probably going to be seriously late. In all honesty, I will probably just enjoy the year off and reapply next summer, assuming I can crush the DAT retake.

The adea guide to dental schools is extremely helpful. They offer more stats than you could ask for, although the stats come from 2 years back