How Late is Too Late for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdwmont

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How late is too late to take the MCAT for this cycle? I am unsure of how to balance getting a good score with getting my application in early. I am currently scheduled for May 28 and would be hard pressed to get a 30. I am considering rescheduling to late July, which should give me enough time to polish up my studying.

Members don't see this ad.

That's not early, but not too late. It's probably when the average non-SDN premed submits his/her primary.

How late is too late to take the MCAT for this cycle? I am unsure of how to balance getting a good score with getting my application in early. I am currently scheduled for May 28 and would be hard pressed to get a 30. I am considering rescheduling to late July, which should give me enough time to polish up my studying.

A lot of people have mixed opinions about this. I would personally feel really anxious about taking it in July because I'm kind of neurotic and don't like to be behind on things. Not to say this actually IS too late, I would just feel that way. Also, if you feel like this would significantly increase your chance of getting a better score, then it might be a good idea. Even if worst case, you don't get accepted this cycle because you apply late, but get a much better MCAT, that better MCAT can be an asset next cycle and you can apply much earlier. Sure, you'd be a year behind, but better than screwing up the MCAT, not getting accepted, and then having to retake AND reapply.

Anyway, think about it hard, you'd be getting your score back in August, which can be kind of late if you aren't on the ball on everything else. I'd suggest getting as many secondaries done that you can that don't require the primary to be in yet, and also to have everything else finished so you can just hit submit when you get those scores. I took mine May 22 or so last year. Those 3 weeks after the semester ended worked well enough for me. I locked myself in my apartment and studied from sunrise to sundown each and every day. It was hardcore, but landed me the score I needed. Good luck!

A July MCAT should be fine. Technically, it's never too late (I was verified in October); however, if you wait too long your chances decrease. Good luck and don't stress it.