How late is too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mechengmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking the MCAT next summer after I graduate. I am doing this because I am nearly finished with my engineering degree and am now working on taking a lot of science classes this year to get ready for it. I want to take some time after I graduate to really focus on studying to make sure I do well, but I don't want to take too much time and miss out on applying to schools early. So my question is this: When would be the best time to take it to make sure I can apply early enough to be competitive but still have adequate time to prepare? Also, how long after I take it will I have to wait for the scores so I can submit my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on taking the MCAT next summer after I graduate. I am doing this because I am nearly finished with my engineering degree and am now working on taking a lot of science classes this year to get ready for it. I want to take some time after I graduate to really focus on studying to make sure I do well, but I don't want to take too much time and miss out on applying to schools early. So my question is this: When would be the best time to take it to make sure I can apply early enough to be competitive but still have adequate time to prepare? Also, how long after I take it will I have to wait for the scores so I can submit my application?

It takes at least 3 months to study properly for the MCAT and You should submit your primary by July if you want to have a chance. This year is insanely competitive... Keep in mind there is no rush. Take your time and land a good MCAT then apply to the cycle when you are ready. Don't apply past August... wait until next year. Yes I understand some people will post on here they submitted there primaries in October and got into great schools but they are outliers ( or could just be liers...:idea:). Play it safe and apply when you are ready.

Feel free to search for more information on this stuff.

Depends on your stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every month you delay after July your LizzyM score drops ~2 points.

No, I did not just totally make that up.

It takes at least 3 months to study properly for the MCAT and You should submit your primary by July if you want to have a chance. This year is insanely competitive... Keep in mind there is no rush. Take your time and land a good MCAT then apply to the cycle when you are ready. Don't apply past August... wait until next year. Yes I understand some people will post on here they submitted there primaries in October and got into great schools but they are outliers ( or could just be liers...:idea:). Play it safe and apply when you are ready.

Feel free to search for more information on this stuff.

I was thinking I will probably take the MCAT sometime in July based on how ready I feel in which case I won't have the score until August. Am I able to submit my application if that is the only thing I am lacking or will that probably end up being too late? I would like to apply next summer, but if it will hurt me to wait until August I wouldn't mind too much waiting another year since I will already be taking a gap year and (hopefully) get an engineering job and save some money for tuition.

You can submit your AAMC application now, and put your future MCAT date in the application. When the score is released, your application will be updated.

I was thinking I will probably take the MCAT sometime in July based on how ready I feel in which case I won't have the score until August. Am I able to submit my application if that is the only thing I am lacking or will that probably end up being too late? I would like to apply next summer, but if it will hurt me to wait until August I wouldn't mind too much waiting another year since I will already be taking a gap year and (hopefully) get an engineering job and save some money for tuition.

Submit by end of July, preferably June and plan around this mark. Any later and it's starting to get late.

Now OP, while you can apply now and AMCAS will just update your app when it comes in there is still a risk. Your primary app will not be released to schools until your MCAT is released. So if you take in late July that means your score will be released to schools by late August, which means your primary may not be released to schools until September. This is very late because it will take you quite a bit of time to complete the secondaries as they send them to you. You can adjust for this by pre writing the secondaries prompts as they appear on the school threads. If you do this you could still be complete by the end of September at most schools, which is still late. Also keep in mind your MCAT score has to be tops, you will not have time to retake it before it is too late. So if you don't hit the mark your first time you just became a reapp.

My advice to you and everybody that is thinking about doing this is if you are under the age of 39, you should wait until the next application cycle when you have a solid MCAT score your personal statement is ready to go and you have sent in all of your transcripts in May. Slow down. This is not a race ok.

So I guess it's looking like the consensus is that it would be better to wait an extra year. *sigh*

So I guess it's looking like the consensus is that it would be better to wait an extra year. *sigh*

You can beef up your application during that time with a medically-related job.

You can beef up your application during that time with a medically-related job.

Yeah I'm a mechanical engineering major and biomedical engineering minor so I was hoping to get a job with someone like Smith and Nephew, Medtronic, or another medical supply company during my gap year anyway. I guess I will also be able to get quite a few more hours volunteering and shadowing seeing as mine are pretty low right now.