how long after app complete till interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My applications were complete (due to late letters) the first week of October at all my schools. I heard from 1 school right away, but how long can I expect to wait to hear from most schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i wish i knew.

probably depends on the strength of your app in relation to the school. my advice would be to get someone on the admissions at said school on the phone with a clairvoyant--Ms. Cleo (she's paying me to say this)--and then have Ms. Cleo report back to you.

:p

OKAY, I KNOW THERE ARE HAVE TO BE A HUNDRED PEOPLE ON SDN WHO HAVE HAD/WILL HAVE 5 OR 10 INTERVIEWS. can't anyone telll me the rough time frame when i will start to hear back from most of my schools? did you guys hear from all schools more or less at once, like did you hear from all ten around 4 weeks from completion or did you gradually/randomly hear from schools from 2 weeks to 2 months?

Members don't see this ad :)
of the ones i've gotten, they were usually at the 2 week point. some that were non-amcas took about 2 months. waiting on the rest

You didn't use the magic word...please. :D

I think the issue is that it is a highly variable timeline. It depends on several variables such as...

How many applications the school is receiving
The efficiency of the admissions staff
When in the cycle your file is complete
How competitive your application is
How many applicants the school thinks they already have
etc.
etc.

My personal experience is that I started receiving interview invitations after my application was complete anywhere from 24 hours (SLU which eventually rejected me post-interview) to 3 months. The interviews seemed to coming at an even flow, and not as a batch.

The best advice I can offer (and which I myself I often fail to follow) is to be patient.

i know the other magic words: thank you :)

There is a big range... My applications were all complete in early august, and I still haven't heard from some schools. However, some schools gave me an interview about a week after I turned in the stuff.

Also, the key thing in this is to factor in WHEN your application was complete. For those who got all their stuff in by July/August (ie many many SDNers), the wait time is going to be considerably less. For people in the bulk of the groundswell (mid-late September--mid-late October?), it is going to take longer.