How long did it take your VMCAS evaluators to submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there's a typical time frame; I've heard (not necessarily in relation to vet school applications) that a fast submit can be a bad thing or a slow submit can also be sort of scary as well. Like they either have really crappy things to say,right off the bat, or they can to think really hard & long about what they're going to say because they can't think of anything good off the top of their head. But then why agree to write one if you can't be nice? Rude.

I gave all of my evaluators about a month's warning that it was coming up (I asked them a while before that), because I wouldn't want to be taken by surprise personally with the stress of wording it just right.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. I've never seen anyone stress about this! I cannot think of why there would be any correlation between LoR submission time and quality of the letter. Some letter writers are busier than others, some are procrastinators by nature, some already have great letters they drafted for you while they were working with you, some are writing from scratch and taking their time to do it thoughtfully. 99% of the time, your mentors will write you a nice letter. It's more a matter of whether they can say outstanding, unique things (e.g. so-and-so is super awesome because of these specific instances) versus generic nice things because they don't know you well (e.g. so-and-so is smart, I guess, because she took my class and got an A).

Honestly, I feel like if an applicant gets an unfavorable letter, shame on the applicant, not the letter writer. Yes, it's incredibly rude of the writer, but the applicant should know better than to a) ask someone with that kind of personality, b) give the writer such bad impressions of herself, and c) be too obtuse to realize her writer might not like her.

But I have never heard of someone getting bad recommendations, except on the interwebs. Have some faith in the folks who have agreed to write you recs, take a deep breath, and relax!

Reactions: 6 users
I had an evaluator submit in the last 30mins before VMCAS closed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In before DVMD et all get an eye twitch.

bbet.gif

Reactions: 15 users
In before DVMD et all get an eye twitch.

bbet.gif

Down girl, down.

But to your point, the eye twitch is permanent.

Just a note... we have a big c/o 2020 applicants thread for all of those types of questions and concerns already - have you checked it out?

It's been pointed out numerous times to this poster. She clearly isn't interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ah, I see. Well... her loss, then, I suppose. Everyone in there's been super helpful and supportive.

The only way that she might actually start posting in that thread would be for everyone to ignore every thread she creates. However, you have to have everyone on board and willing to do that.

Or report all of the threads that she makes for not following terms of service and get her banned.

Pick one or both.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just wondering if there's a typical time frame; I've heard (not necessarily in relation to vet school applications) that a fast submit can be a bad thing or a slow submit can also be sort of scary as well. Like they either have really crappy things to say,right off the bat, or they can to think really hard & long about what they're going to say because they can't think of anything good off the top of their head. But then why agree to write one if you can't be nice? Rude.

I gave all of my evaluators about a month's warning that it was coming up (I asked them a while before that), because I wouldn't want to be taken by surprise personally with the stress of wording it just right.
Ignoring all opportunities to tell you that you didn't need to make a new thread for this since that's been taken care of....It doesn't matter when an evaluator submits (unless, of course, they miss the deadline). To put it in perspective, I had an evaluator take up until the week before the due date to submit. Turns out that she had hastily written a few sentences and hit submit after having those 4 months to write. I was told during file reviews that while it didn't necessarily hurt me, it didn't help either (the person doing a file review actually said it made her look bad). That same cycle, my adviser submitted just a few days after I input his info, and his letter was brought up during file reviews because it was so well written and helped paint a great picture of me.

It is like we are all reinforcing bad behavior here. Like a dog. Don't want it to jump up, then ignore it when it jumps.

Don't want the OP to keep posting new threads? Ignore her when she does. Instead of actually answering her questions. Just don't answer them. Ignore. She either gets the hint or goes away. Either one would be really nice at this point as I have a feeling her thread creating will only increase like fire with the application now open.

Reactions: 3 users