How long does it take to become a doctor in the UK & Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

... the UK and Australia?

1/ In the UK, according to http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explor...octor/run-through,-specialty-and-gp-training/,
it takes 5 years AFTER med school to become a PCP,
8-10 years to specialize in anything else.
(8 years to become an anesthetist).
Is this correct?

2/ I have no clue about Australia.

Can anyone answer this? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah pretty much and it could be even longer especially in some specialties since you are practically expected to get a M.D. (research degree) or a Ph.D. Others the competition is so much that u might have to take years out for research or apply again etc.

thanks.
do you know anything about Australia?

2/ how about a full-fledged doctor moving from the US to the UK? does he have to go through internship again?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't to be honest, but I do know that Australia, NZ, Ireland they all follow the old UK training system and still to some extent do which is some form of rotating internship, a junior year, then followed by specialty training. They are all longer in terms of training time than North America.

I don't know much about a doctor moving from the US to the UK. My guess is that its probably quite rare. Whether or not its rare because its not possible or rare because no one wants to make the move I don't know, but i've never seen a faculty in my med school who did med school in the US.

I don't know about Australia, I will say whether you do medicine in the US or elsewhere, the training is relatively similar in length(however quality and practice can definitely differ), also it depends on where you want to live long term. If you want to live in the US/Canada, MD and residency/fellowship is the way to go, and also MD you can pretty much use everywhere, the english degree is still applicable in most places, but in some it is not. The US is very research heavy, if you want to be top of the top, a potential leader in your field, US is a good bet. UK is shorter in some ways still, med school is 6 compared to 8 total for US/CA, residency can range from 3-10 addition years after med school including fellowships. So you really have to decide.