How Long Does It Take to Get Licensed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwilightEve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions bundled into one
1. How long does it take to get licensed after graduation & internship?
2. Also, do any of our hours in grad school count?
(yes I know hours varies by state, still trying to find specific info for each state)
3. Anyone know what our salary is looking like before we get that license?

Members don't see this ad.

1) usually about a year to 18 months depending on the state. universiy of kentucky has a website that has links to all the liscensure boards. google it.

2) again, it depends, but some states say things like they requires 4000 hrs, 2000 of which may be predoctoral. this just measn you have to do an internship (duh). some say 2000 all post doctoral. some say 3000 postdoctoral. it all depends.

3) based on word of mouth the average post doc salary is typically in the 30-40k range. as always some places pay a lot more (e.g., military, DOP, etc) and some pay a lot less.

1)
3) based on word of mouth the average post doc salary is typically in the 30-40k range. as always some places pay a lot more (e.g., military, DOP, etc) and some pay a lot less.

so, this is kind of off of the topic of licensure, but for those of you who take out loans for grad school, how do you manage to live on this postdoc salary and eat? Maybe I'm just too stressed about going-back-to-school-finances, but it seems almost cruel to have the salary cap so low for postdocs.

Members don't see this ad :)
it might seem cruel, but without a liscense you are effectively billing at a rate comparable to a psych tech.

it would be a loss for any program/ practice to pay you for somethign more than they are receiving.

I have a ques: In my state, which I think is pretty common, one needs a good full year of work post internship/Ph.D. to be eligible for licensure. I was wondering how others on the board feel about having to complete further hours after having already done a good 3000 hours predoc via practica/externships/internship. I was discussing this issue at my program and many folks (with substantial loans) did not know about the extra year and are worried about paying back loans on a masters salary.

good lord, how did your program not inform people about post doc?

for most, your quality of life does not increase from internship to postdoc as loans come due.

is it fair? yeah. everyone has to do it. even if we didn't, insurance panels are so backed up in accepting new behavioral health providers most new psychologists aren't able to get on panels for 3-5 years.

good lord, how did your program not inform people about post doc?

for most, your quality of life does not increase from internship to postdoc as loans come due.

is it fair? yeah. everyone has to do it. even if we didn't, insurance panels are so backed up in accepting new behavioral health providers most new psychologists aren't able to get on panels for 3-5 years.

they were 1st years but still--i agree. i think a lot of folks don't realize how complicated the profession is--becoming a practicing liscensed therapist is way more complicated, and can be pursued from so many more channels than say becoming a lawyer or a doctor, but some folks seem to assume that it'll be similar. not so, and requirements can differ from state to state.

this may be an ignorant question -- are MD's paying off their loans in residency?

if the extra year significantly increases competence and seems important for the professsion then i get it, but then again if it's needed for sufficent training, coming due on one's loans during that time when the ability to practice as professional is not possible seems a bit unfair. i have funding for g school so it will doable, but for folks with less and 4 years of loans that really seems like a burden.

yeah,

let me challenge you a bit. you are looking at this from your perspective(i.e., how hard this is on students, etc). however, the post doc decision is made in the legal world. their challenge is to protect the public. how would removing a year of training further that goal?

yeah,

let me challenge you a bit. you are looking at this from your perspective(i.e., how hard this is on students, etc). however, the post doc decision is made in the legal world. their challenge is to protect the public. how would removing a year of training further that goal?

No I agree--If the post-doc year of training gives us the degree of training that really qualifies one to be a practicing member of the profession, then a post doc year it is. i just wonder why, if it is a necessary part of our training, students are repaying loans while doing it. we can practice at the masters level postdoc, but then we're not repaying 2nd or 3rd or 4th year, whenever one's program grants masters en route. if we need the postdoc as part of our education, then shouldn't it be part of our education? i'm not asking that to necessarially advocate that, just wondering why it's not.

that's why i was wondering when MD's start repaying, especially with their possible 150-250k in loans.

No I agree--If the post-doc year of training gives us the degree of training that really qualifies one to be a practicing member of the profession, then a post doc year it is. i just wonder why, if it is a necessary part of our training, students are repaying loans while doing it. we can practice at the masters level postdoc, but then we're not repaying 2nd or 3rd or 4th year, whenever one's program grants masters en route. if we need the postdoc as part of our education, then shouldn't it be part of our education? i'm not asking that to necessarially advocate that, just wondering why it's not.

that's why i was wondering when MD's start repaying, especially with their possible 150-250k in loans.

The MDs I know started paying off their medical school loans during residency, or immediately after the 4-year medical programs in the US.

Every one needs a Post Doc year!Secondly, start filling out your application as early as possible (get internship forms supervisors signatures and transcripts together). Third, as soon as you you finish your post doc ,apply to get your CPQ and the National Register for Health Service Providers in Psycholgy. These will help in transferring all these documents/scores to other states if you ever decide to move as well as help you qualify for certain "panels"Forth, realize that State Boards do not really give a damm about you becoming licensed and they take their good old time reviewing your application. Therefore, any mistake/incomplete item will hang up the process for months. This is also why having the CPQ will help you out in the future. Fifth, I do not know if it is still true, but WI didn't require a National exam or a Post Doc . This probably has changed. Rearding loans: you can ask for a deferment "Hardship". Also some post Doc sites have student loan payback provisions (rural area, Indian Health Service, Federally funded Clinics ). In summary, this is a pain in the butt, but if you do it correctly and cover your basis,your life in the future will be far easier. Also, check out my post under salaries regarding getting onto panels. Hope this is helpful.:)

Every one needs a Post Doc year!Secondly, start filling out your application as early as possible (get internship forms supervisors signatures and transcripts together). Third, as soon as you you finish your post doc ,apply to get your CPQ and the National Register for Health Service Providers in Psycholgy. These will help in transferring all these documents/scores to other states if you ever decide to move as well as help you qualify for certain "panels"Forth, realize that State Boards do not really give a damm about you becoming licensed and they take their good old time reviewing your application. Therefore, any mistake/incomplete item will hang up the process for months. This is also why having the CPQ will help you out in the future. Fifth, I do not know if it is still true, but WI didn't require a National exam or a Post Doc . This probably has changed. Rearding loans: you can ask for a deferment "Hardship". Also some post Doc sites have student loan payback provisions (rural area, Indian Health Service, Federally funded Clinics ). In summary, this is a pain in the butt, but if you do it correctly and cover your basis,your life in the future will be far easier. Also, check out my post under salaries regarding getting onto panels. Hope this is helpful.:)

You are a delight. Thanks so much!