How long does it take to get state MD licenses? (NY, MA, PA, IL, CA)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marginCall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to get the state license in the following states? I know some are quick and some take a really friggin long time. Does anybody know?
NY
IL
MA
CA
PA

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that CA takes a long time.

I'd allot 3 months for MA. You probably only need 2 months, but as I recall, they only review new applications once a month.

Is it easier to get your first state license (i.e in the place you did residency), or to get a new/second state license (if you move after residency)?

Members don't see this ad :)
The word I hear is NJ, NY, California and Florida are the pains in the butt; expensive, and a long wait.

Most states you usually get the license in a few weeks tops and it's a few hundred dollars. NJ, you wait several months, possibly even around a year and it costs around $1000.

The supposed reason is the above states have something about them. NJ/NY have always been overloaded with bureacracy, California too, and the word on Florida is every freaking doctor there wants to vacation there or in semi-retirement and wants to get some gig where they do locums, and because of that the state can't adequately track how many doctors they really have full-time. For that reason they make it hard to get a license.

Now this is based on colleagues telling me their experiences, so anyone here really know how it works for real please feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
California took about four months for me. Lots of moving pieces, notarized stuff, etc.

I'm in Ohio. Took about a week and a few hundred bucks to get the license. The NJ thing, while I didn't get an NJ license, I have several colleagues who did. Like I said, about $1000, expect to wait almost a year, and when you call up the state to find out why it's taking so long, expect to be on hold for 30 minutes, then get someone that only tells you to wait longer.