How Long Does it Take to Increase a Verbal Score from a 7 to a 10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an aspiring doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

My weakest section has been verbal and it has been hurting my overall score. I have been averaging a 7 with the exception of a every so now and than 8. What I would like to know is how long with thorough practice would you say it would take to increase a score of 7 into a score of 10? I am scared because I have two months and a half until my MCAT! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

N/A, if it were that simple.. wouldn't everyone just study the required time to get a 45?

it matters more what kind of practice you'll be doing, how you will be reviewing passages and what resource you will be using. Verbal does take longer to improve than the sciences but you can't just expect it to magically improve once you hit a certain amount of practice passages.

what in particular are you finding difficult?

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone

My weakest section has been verbal and it has been hurting my overall score. I have been averaging a 7 with the exception of a every so now and than 8. What I would like to know is how long with thorough practice would you say it would take to increase a score of 7 into a score of 10? I am scared because I have two months and a half until my MCAT! Thank you!

There is no magic to it. I started at a seven and got up to a 10 very quickly. Now I average between 10-12. I wish I could tell you a secret but I feel like most people who score well on this section usually have just read a lot. I would just keep practicing and seeing what mistakes you are making. You need about 30/40 roughly to score a 9-10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Jepstein I have recently made the transition from the Kaplan method to the EK method. The switch has brought me only from a score of a 6 to a score of 7. I have been reading for the main idea and the author's tone but I think I am having difficulty using the main idea and tone to answer the questions. I think the questions from the EK passages are more detailed oriented then people say they are. I dont see how using main idea and author tone can answer the questions without honing in on particular details of the passage. I finish on time and do okay on all of the passages averaging 4/6 right with the exception of two passages averaging 2/6 right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll put more thoughts later but EK is bad. The questions, not the strategy (no experience with it). They are too detail-orientated and are more reading comprehension than critical thinking like the MCAT.

The thing is though.. that's usually EASIER than critical thinking so people tend to have higher scores. I'll post more later. How do you review your passages? And if you only switched over recently.. give it time..

Honestly you could do it in a month, but you really need to drastically change your technique, and then become comfortable with it.

Jepstein your the first person to agree with me on that! I also think it will take some more practice but in the interm do you recommend any other sources for good verbal practice? I review them as indicated in the EK method. I go over the questions first and see what I can garnish from them individually. Do you suggest another method? Im up for any suggestions because I been averaging a 9/10 on the sciences and verbal has been lagging. Thanks for the boost SOO a month would be optimal at this point.

Jepstein your the first person to agree with me on that! I also think it will take some more practice but in the interm do you recommend any other sources for good verbal practice? I review them as indicated in the EK method. I go over the questions first and see what I can garnish from them individually. Do you suggest another method? Im up for any suggestions because I been averaging a 9/10 on the sciences and verbal has been lagging. Thanks for the boost SOO a month would be optimal at this point.

Check the link in my signature (below my first post above). I go through all the different resources to use and there's a post there about how I would post-game. Easier to point you there than just repeat it here ;)

Thank you Jepstein all sound work. You should start your own prep company like Kaplan. You have earned yourself another follower!

I'll put more thoughts later but EK is bad. The questions, not the strategy (no experience with it). They are too detail-orientated and are more reading comprehension than critical thinking like the MCAT.

The thing is though.. that's usually EASIER than critical thinking so people tend to have higher scores. I'll post more later. How do you review your passages? And if you only switched over recently.. give it time..
Thank you! Finally someone said it. I always thought EK 101 was too detail oriented. I've been using it only because verbal resources are limited, but I'm not stressin out over my performance. I've been told TPRH is more indicative of AAMC's verbal testing.

Thank you! Finally someone said it. I always thought EK 101 was too detail oriented. I've been using it only because verbal resources are limited, but I'm not stressin out over my performance. I've been told TPRH is more indicative of AAMC's verbal testing.

Haha I've said it before, I just post fairly sporadically in here. TPRH is much, much closer but still nothing like the real thing.

I think it is possible but difficult. It took me 2 months to go from 5 -7 and then another 2 months to consistently do 9 but I had to change everything about the way I read, approach questions , everything. Takes a lot of effort.