About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

How long should I take to study?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by avenlea, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. avenlea

avenlea

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi,

I'm planning on taking the MCAT by studying all next summer - I start around Aug 20th and I'm out of school April 30th.
    However, I'm considering studying abroad for the month of May till May 30th.
    Would June 1st-Mid august be enough time to study for the MCAT with the SN2ED schedule, 16 hr a week job, and no class?

thanks!
  2. missdoc91

missdoc91

Pre-Medical
    16 hrs of work doesn't seem bad! It depends on how much you remember the subjects and how much time you need to review them. I did the same thing last summer and i ended up doing good on PS 12 and ok on BS 10 but verbal sucked because i really didnt pay attention much VR 6.
  3. avenlea

avenlea

SDN 2+ Year Member
  4. O Grady

O Grady MS-0

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I personally would take longer than that if possible. Just know that an extra month of studying could mean a sizable difference in your score. Plus the SN2ed schedule is BRUTAL! I only worked about 6 hours a week, had no other commitments, and I quickly fell behind the schedule. Some can keep up, but I would say the majority of us need to spread it out a little longer.
  5. Shjanzey

Shjanzey

Pre-Medical
    Rocket Scientist SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  6. cde

cde

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you really want a decent chance to get in, do the study abroad AFTER taking the MCAT. That way your score is back in time to apply somewhat early in the cycle.
  7. O Grady

O Grady MS-0

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    haha I wasn't bragging about it, and I have all the more respect for those that do it. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that works full time, so I didn't need to work like crazy while studying. I think we can agree that in any scenario, working less is always better for MCAT study.
  8. avenlea

avenlea

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am not applying this cycle, I am taking a gap year.
  9. aspiring20

aspiring20

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    O Grady, your 3.6 GPA and 30 MCAT should be adequate for many MDs...

However, after looking at your MDapps, I only saw DO schools.

Are you just not interested in MD programs?