How Long to Become a Cardiac Surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Louisiana4570

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate undergrad this coming Spring in Biology Pre-Med. How long, after an undergraduate degree is obtained, does it take to become a Cardiac Surgeon? I know there are a lot of steps involved including residency and such.

Members don't see this ad.

medical school - 4 years
Residency in general surg - 5-6 years (more likely 6)
Fellowship in cardiothoracic surg - 2 years

There's this cool thing called google.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cardio-thoracic surgeon: 5-6 years general surgery + 2-3 years fellowship

Interventional cardiologist: 3 years internal medicine + 3-4 years fellowship

I wouldn't be so quick to gun for CT surgery. In the next 40 years, I can foresee a lot more internal methods of dealing with heart issues (such as the recent phenomenon of stenting).

I wouldn't be so quick to gun for CT surgery. In the next 40 years, I can foresee a lot more internal methods of dealing with heart issues (such as the recent phenomenon of stenting).

You obviously haven't been following the news questioning the utility of cardiac stenting. Google studies comparing the utility of stents as compared to CABG. While I agree that endovascular and minimally invasive repair will eventually replace most open procedures, cardiac stenting is probably not a good example.

Last edited:
You obviously haven't been following the news questioning the utility of cardiac stenting. Google studies comparing the utility of stents as compared to CABG. While I agree that endovascular and minimally invasive repair will eventually replace most open procedures, cardiac stenting is probably not a good example.

I do recognize that I gave a poor example, but it's reflective of a slow but steady underlying shift towards minimally invasive procedures. When you also consider future technological advances, it's not too far-fetched to imagine repairing organs internally with nanobots within 40 years.

I do recognize that I gave a poor example, but it's reflective of a slow but steady underlying shift towards minimally invasive procedures. When you also consider future technological advances, it's not too far-fetched to imagine repairing organs internally with nanobots within 40 years.

Yeah, I'm sure the old attendings thought that that when they were in medical school too. Things aren't moving that fast. With the healthcare reform = government and insurance will pay less for medical equipment = less innovation.

There are plenty of things that will always require open surgery ex: total hip arthroplasty (replacement)

it's not too far-fetched to imagine repairing organs internally with nanobots within 40 years

If this becomes reality then all surgery, not only CT, will probably become unnecessary (or at least not nearly as necessary). If this technology becomes a reality the world of medicine will be completely different in general. At that point there will probably be a bunch of IBM Watsons running around making clinical decisions. (Im assuming if we can afford nanobots for surgery we can afford super computers for medical decision making).

Also no one mentioned integrated pathways for CT surgery. 6 years out of medical school. There are not many currently but there seems to be a general trend to eventually seperate CT from general surgery (just as it is happening with vascular, and has happened with urology, neurosurgery, ent... ect). Point being that CT surgery pathways might be completely different in 5-10 years. Note that integrated pathways are ridiculously competitive at the moment due to their rarity.

Also some people have speculated that because of the drop in interest in CT over the last 10 years, and the high average age of established CT surgeons, there might come a time in the near future where the demand for CT might exceed supply. So you never know how competetive and desirable CT might become in the future.

Just some food for thought. Fully acknowledge that CT surgery might decline tremendously in the next few decades. Never know.

There's this cool thing called google.

Actually, I did google it. No straight answer was given, unlike on here. Thank you all for your answers.

Nanobots FTW!!!

Dr. Michio Kaku on Nanobots

combined CT is 5 year residency

Not usually.

Traditional route:

Med school: 4 years
Residency (with/without dedicated research time): 5-7 years
Fellowship: 2-3 years
Total time: 11-14 years

Of course there are always "super-fellowships," like transplant, heart failure, VATS, onc, etc., which are usually one year each.

Integrated route:

Usually "3+3" or "4+3" model, so 6-7 years total. Much shorter. It remains to be seen, however, what the product of these abbreviated programs will be like.