How long to get to 300k

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathslides

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those working, how many years did you work before your salary went above $300,000?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those working, how many years did you work before your salary went above $300,000?

This is really somewhat of a meaningless question. As an example, back in
the late 80's-early 90's I went from $160/yr as a 4th year associate to $700/yr
as an equity partner. See what I mean? Of course, that degree of remuneration did not(and we correctly predicted would not)continue. Who knows what applies now
to any given situation. The past is no indicator of current or future remuneration.
But, I do not think such lucrative days are ahead.

zero.
i'm surprised that there are places offering less than 300 for full-time positions.

i assume you work at one of these places. if so, they are underpaying you and profiting more for themselves. i would suggest moving on.

zero.
i'm surprised that there are places offering less than 300 for full-time positions.

i assume you work at one of these places. if so, they are underpaying you and profiting more for themselves. i would suggest moving on.

You must be F****g kidding !!! Very rare, if anyone offer 300 as year 1 salary. Please look at the income survey and also keep your expectation realistic. As a matter of fact very few pathologist make >300.

You must be F****g kidding !!! Very rare, if anyone offer 300 as year 1 salary. Please look at the income survey and also keep your expectation realistic. As a matter of fact very few pathologist make >300.

Agreed. Almost no one offers >$300K to a first year attending, private or academic. They don't need to, they have all the clout in the bargaining process.

zero.

No one makes $300K coming out. More like low to mid $200K.

Yeah I agree. My experience was in low 200 during interviews. It seems in 3-5 years it is attainable, but crazy to start at that level.

No one makes $300K coming out. More like low to mid $200K.
It's all about supply and demand and what the market will command. In most Canadian provinces, beginning salary for pathologists is low to mid 300s (CAD of course). Many positions take years to fill with a qualified candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
zero.

Moving on sounds nice but there aren't that many places to move on to anymore. This isn't 20 or 30 years ago. It is very consolidated and getting worse every day.

They aren't underpaying us if they are able to fill the positions for these salaries. It is what the market is.

This is really somewhat of a meaningless question. As an example, back in
the late 80's-early 90's I went from $160/yr as a 4th year associate to $700/yr
as an equity partner. See what I mean? Of course, that degree of remuneration did not(and we correctly predicted would not)continue. Who knows what applies now
to any given situation. The past is no indicator of current or future remuneration.
But, I do not think such lucrative days are ahead.

I don't think it was meaningless. Your answer was 4 years. I don't care what you go to because anything above 300 is plenty in my mind. It seems 3-5 yrs is average.

Keep in mind the sample size on SDN is very small and I would say skewed...I wouldn't say the bleak assessment in inaccurate--there's unquestionably an oversupply of pathologists, both practicing and in training, and coupled with CMS cuts and more centralized medicine, things will only get worse...but I didn't base my job prospects & target employment/partnership on the opinions of a small number of pathologists that frequent these forums.

Members don't see this ad :)
300K? Now is that 300K per year? Or Per month?

about a year for the former, 2 long years for the later.

300K? Now is that 300K per year? Or Per month?

about a year for the former, 2 long years for the later.

Dang dude. Your salary is more than 3.6 million a year? I doubt most pathologists could attain such an income, let alone by 3 years into practice.

As an academician, I don't think my salary will ever get to 300K. I'm ok with that though, because I love my job.

...3.6 million a year? I doubt most pathologists could attain such an income, let alone by 3 years into practice.

Well, he didn't say how he's making that much, so you can't assume it's coming solely from pathology. It could be anything from real estate to human trafficking...you know, the kind that makes for another 'Taken' sequel with Liam Neeson.

You're right, most pathologists let alone physicians make that much, it's like the top 1% of the 1%...

Its gets to a point and honestly its pointless. Yah I could buy a 200K R8 Audi but I dont. I could buy another house, but I dont.

At a certain point all the "things" in your life become MASSIVE weights on your back because you have be concerned with losing them, wrecking them, protecting them etc.

I spend $$ on:
~Travel, experiences dont take up space in my properties, room in my vault or shelves in my closets.
~Training, I spend a good chunk of $$ like tens of thou/yr on personal training, firearms training, tactical stuff of all stripes, general end of the world survival skillz
~Savings, I plan to retire at ~52 so savings is critical (Someone needs to hold me to this age to if SDN still exists and I am still posting then!)

that's it really.

And my income is very much multi-stream. Very multi-stream. And I have lots of people working for me, contractors and W-2 employees. etc etc.

Im paranoid as hell too. Which has positives and lots of negatives. For example I took the neighborhood kids Pokemon Go hunting in a downtown area, I packed Bal III Body Armor, high lumen tactical flashlight, 2 non-lethals, Glock, RIP ammo, knife, comms, back up comm. Then I slapped geotracking devices on each kid. Then I had a smart ass buddy ask if I was going to park car downtown ahead of time with B IV armor, chest rig and a suppressed SBR AR just in case it got real during the Pokemon hunt...I actually considered that before I figured it was best not to go totally crazy.

Last edited:
I plan to retire at ~52 so savings is critical

Does that factor in your divorce? If so, what would your retirement age have been otherwise? I know a lot of docs who've gone thru divorces (seems like the rate is higher than the national average of 52%) including my former partner. He should be worth around 10 mil; but instead nearly got completely wiped out when his ex-wife ran off with some perfusionist who was her "soul mate"...it utterly devastated him. Child support and alimony have been a yoke around his neck ever since. He along with other physicians I know said even the best of prenup agreements only protect your income & assets prior to marriage which in a lot of people's cases is a small fraction. I feel for you man, hope you have some offshore accounts in the Caymans or oil wells in Equitorial Guinea that they can't come after...

I was kidding about the divorce....I wouldnt actually get divorced for too much video gaming. I love video games, but not that much.
in order
1.) Family
2.) Marine Corps (exchangeable with religion if my mom is somehow reading this...)
3.) Sex
4.) Money
5.) Guns and Whiskey
6.) Gaming
7.) Gym time
8.) Food, preferring Mexican
9.) Beaches
10.) Netflix

tmp_31266-200w-1610058823.gif

I was kidding about the divorce....I wouldnt actually get divorced for too much video gaming. I love video games, but not that much.
in order
1.) Family
2.) Marine Corps (exchangeable with religion if my mom is somehow reading this...)
3.) Sex
4.) Money
5.) Guns and Whiskey
6.) Gaming
7.) Gym time
8.) Food, preferring Mexican
9.) Beaches
10.) Netflix

Interesting that you put guns and whiskey together. Trying to squeeze 11 things onto your top ten list? or are your use of these two somehow related? If so, remind me to not go shooting with you. ;)
Our priority lists have a lot of overlap.

In my hospital based practice 2.5 yrs. Going solo doing 3 gi offices tech26x2 and histolabx1, first year. Best move Ive ever made. Leaving the hospitals. No frozen, autopsies, adequacies, administrators, major inspections, group meetings, hospital meetings, tumor boards, NO WAITING . I drive 100 miles a day and look at gi biopsies, usually around 150-250 305's per day. Even wih only getting paid 37 cents on the dollar I am making more that I ever did in my private practice group. And I rarely set a wake up alarm

In my hospital based practice 2.5 yrs. Going solo doing 3 gi offices tech26x2 and histolabx1, first year. Best move Ive ever made. Leaving the hospitals. No frozen, autopsies, adequacies, administrators, major inspections, group meetings, hospital meetings, tumor boards, NO WAITING . I drive 100 miles a day and look at gi biopsies, usually around 150-250 305's per day. Even wih only getting paid 37 cents on the dollar I am making more that I ever did in my private practice group. And I rarely set a wake up alarm

How is the Stockholm syndrome these days?

Better than working nights and weekends.

Don't most of us have Stockholm Syndrome?

I had one new GI grad say he wouldn't work for less than 400k. Never spoke to him again.

I had one new GI grad say he wouldn't work for less than 400k. Never spoke to him again.

Dang. I wonder if he ended up finding a job or if he woke up to reality and downgraded his salary expectations for a first job.

Three years to be close enough, and I love my job, so I'm good.