How long will be family residency duration after Prelim-IM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I go into the Prelim-IM residency and after 1 year apply for family med and get matched,How long will be my family residency? Will they consider that 1 year as part of my rotations in FM ?

Members don't see this ad.

ask specific programs. you may get some credit but it will not be a full year. we have had similar applicants in the past who got credit for maybe 6 months (depending on the rotations you do...) you'd most likely still need to do rotations for peds, surgery, obgyn but maybe get credit for adult inpatient work, icu, er, medicine subspecialties (cards, gi, etc). you might also get to credit some of your non-standard months towards your elective months as a senior resident. YMMV from program to program so ask around while you interview. it should not be an off-limits topic.

Similar question to the OP, but with a different level of detail ...

I was just offered a prelim IM position for this year (saving my bacon), and want to go into FM. I know I'll be applying in the next cycle to Family Medicine, but will I be applying to PGY-2 slots, or PGY-1 slots?

The ABFM seems to indicate that I can earn 12 credits in my IM prelim year (https://www.theabfm.org/cert/advlevel.aspx) if I set up my electives properly. But I've seen posts here that indicate prelims get around 6 credits on average, and read something about FM programs not getting gov't funds for the PGY-3 year (since I did an intern IM year). I'm a little confused.

Just want to know what level to apply for in the Fall. :)